PDA

View Full Version : Bee Bot

Helen Dempster
03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
does anyone have one of these...and if so, what does it do exactly? Is it worth buying one?

singingcactus
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I have one. It is kind of good, but no way would I spend £50 on it. I picked one up at the local second hand shop.
You programme it and it can go forward, backward and turn right or left - as many time as you hit the relevant button. You can add to each program or you can reset.
So you could challenge the kids to get the bee bot to walk around the table then out the door (or something like that). They will begin to judge how many times you need to push the forward button to make it walk that far forward, then whether left or right then how far forward again etc. It is good for maths skills and problem solving.
BUT there will be so many other products on the market that will also provide these learning skills for either a fraction of the price - in any generic toy store - or you may already have similar skill base products - like robo sapien, or other remote control car.
If you can get one cheaper then yes it is fun but I wouldn't say the full price is worth it.
It is also only for over 3 years old so kind of limiting in our particular field :)

Helen Dempster
03-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I have one. It is kind of good, but no way would I spend £50 on it. I picked one up at the local second hand shop.
You programme it and it can go forward, backward and turn right or left - as many time as you hit the relevant button. You can add to each program or you can reset.
So you could challenge the kids to get the bee bot to walk around the table then out the door (or something like that). They will begin to judge how many times you need to push the forward button to make it walk that far forward, then whether left or right then how far forward again etc. It is good for maths skills and problem solving.
BUT there will be so many other products on the market that will also provide these learning skills for either a fraction of the price - in any generic toy store - or you may already have similar skill base products - like robo sapien, or other remote control car.
If you can get one cheaper then yes it is fun but I wouldn't say the full price is worth it.
It is also only for over 3 years old so kind of limiting in our particular field :)

Ahhh, thank you. I was in two minds as to whether get one with my grant money, but I've decided against it now - thank you. I will get something else :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I have got one, but as said would never ay full price for them!!! We managed to get some for £5 on a course we were attending, weren't really sure what they were, but seemed to be going like hot cakes, so we thought we would have one each - when we found out the full price we realised why they were selling so fast :laughing:

June & Carolyn