PDA

View Full Version : What age for time out?

pinklady
01-04-2010, 09:28 PM
My lo aged 18mths was showing some very 'challenging' behaviour yesterday. She's pretty strong willed and rules the roost at home. She's very intelligent so I thought I would try some time out when I had run out of options.

Well, as you can imagine she had a great time sitting on my stair. She smiled her way through the whole minute :rolleyes:
What do you all do to let know very lo's know when their behaviour is unacceptable?

francinejayne
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Ooh it's a tough one as they're all so different. I realised that time out for my DS (aged 20 months) wasn't working when he came over, smacked me, smiled and said 'sorry' then took himself off to sit on the bottom stair!!! So I've not done it again.
Now I tell him that I will count to 3 and if he doesn't stop doing what he is doing I will take the toy off him / make him go inside / stop reading to him etc, whatever it is he's enjoying doing, I make sure it will end! By being consistent he is understanding what I mean and also the consequences. And now I can get to 2 and then he co-operates!!!
Consistency is the key, and follow through your 'threats'!

FussyElmo
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
After reading a book which said that some children don't do time out what I do with my spirited ds is make him sit on my knee and ignore him. Carry on with the activites with the others and he hates it:) Whereas time out he sits there grinning at me not a bit bothered:rolleyes:

helenlc
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I have a mindee aged 2 yrs and 2 mths. Time out works for him - he will sit there and do his time!:laughing:

But my other mindee, aged 23 mths, will go out there but just sit there unaware of whats going on.

I think its hard to get it right and you have to find what works for each child.

Mookins
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Im confused:huh: i got told we werent allowed to do the naughty step? x x x

LisaMcNally09
02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Im confused:huh: i got told we werent allowed to do the naughty step? x x x

The key is its not a 'naughty step'. Its a time away for the child to reflect on what he/shes done. By calling it this its not emphasising to the child that they are 'naughty'. Just their behaviour is unacceptable:D

Mookins
02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
aaaah... i understand...cheers for that x