PDA

View Full Version : Kittens

Pudding Girl
01-04-2010, 08:21 AM
We will shortly be getting 2 kittens, not had to think about the risks and issues before as last time I had a cat was 15 yrs ago when I wasn't minding and needing some reminding of what I need to think about please!

Also although eventually they'll be able to get outside in the day for business, at start will need a litter tray but not entirely sure where I can safely put one!

francinejayne
01-04-2010, 08:34 PM
my litter tray is in the garage - we have a cat flap in the internal door between the garage and the house, little ones cannot get to it at all.
you really need to put the litter tray in an area not accessible by the children.
also be aware that untrained kittens may go on your work surfaces etc. so lots of anti bac spray!
kittens can 'play' bite and scratch - I don't think it hurts, but that's me with my hands that are used to boiling water and bleach! little children will probably find this hurts.

you also need to make sure the children can't harm the kittens - they are quite fragile whilst young.

enjoy them though, I love kittens!

Pudding Girl
02-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I've nowhere downstairs to put a litter tray that's not going to be accessible :panic: I was thinking of buying a rabbit run thing for them to go in during day at first and put the litter tray in there so kids can't mess with it, do you think that would suffice? Eventually they'll be going outside as got a catflap.

Blackhorse
02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I have moved the cat litter tray to my upstairs hall.
also food needs to be out of reach

I have yet to find how to train cats so I state that I always use antibac on my surfaces before doing anything because I cannot be sure the cats werent on there before.

My CCO liked my pet policy as I put a paragraph about the benefits of animals to children in it. I wanted it to be a positive policy with all the added things about hygiene and teaching children how to handle pets gently etc.

also needed to put in that kids will never be left unattended with the animals and that sleeping babies will be separated from animals too

hth

mushpea
03-04-2010, 12:33 PM
we got a kitten last september, as we have a dog already we put her in a dog crate to start with, more so the dog could get used to her and vise versa but it worked well with the mindees because it meant they couldn't get to the litter tray as it was in the crate, they also only had supervised access to her when i let her out, we are now thinking of getting a second kitten and this time round i wont use the crate as the dog is great with the cat and also now the rabbit, they all curl up toether in the dogs bed!!, the littler tray is now in the kitchen which is shut of with a gate, I really want to teach her to poop outside but we have all concrete in the back garden and she is still very small and cant work out how to climb out of the garden, was thinking of getting one of those coverd cat litter trays for the back garden insted.
I sat down with the older mindees and explained to them how when she is in her bed or the crate when she was younger that she is to be left alone, and , like the dog, she has now learnt that when she wants to be left alone she goes to her bed.
only one of my mindess dosent have a cat so they were mostly clued up about them anyway and the parents were ok with the ocasional scratch.

Pudding Girl
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
We've seen a crate thing (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8706595/Trail/searchtext%3ESMALL+PET.htm) in Argos book do you think this would be ok for two kittens for the first few weeks?

And here is one of my boys! http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Kiona31/26792_10150169689175227_590455226_1.jpg 2 weeks old just now :) the other is black and white too but white slightly different markings

miffy
03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
He's soooooooo cute!

The crate looks good - it says it's suitable for 2 to 3 rabbits so I would think it's OK for 2 kittens for a few weeks.

Miffy xx