PDA

View Full Version : Guinea Pigs

helenlc
31-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I am thinking of getting a couple of guinea pigs - to have as family pets but also for mindees to enjoy.

I was just wondering how people fare in regdards to risk assessing, keeping LOs from putting fingers in the cage, but on the other hand gettinbg the LOs involved.

Got to convince hubby first!! Even though I am picking up a hutch from Freecycle in the morning!!:blush: :laughing: (Was too good an opportunity to miss and I will just re-Freecycle it if we decide not to get them:D )

Trouble
31-03-2010, 08:23 PM
i have 3 and they live in the kitchen in a cage the mindees love then, i have a cloth on the top so no body drops anything in and they just dont poke anything ever they just know not to

one mindee helps me clean them out (ever 2 days so they dont smell):panic:

but they have left over apples and fruit and veg that no one wants and a ton of other food :thumbsup:

i love them, mine are called rascal, ruby and rosie:D Rascals the daddy:D

mindees watch them whilst they are having there dinner:D

beccas
31-03-2010, 08:26 PM
just have a pet policy and risk asses asa you said they should be fine if taught not ot stick fingers in. anyway they will only do it once if they get bit:laughing:

my nephew got some hes 5 and calls his gunner and ambush.:laughing:

Rubybubbles
31-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I got guinea pigs in December:D

They have an inside cage and also an outdoor hutch. Risk assement was easy, I clean them in an evening, as they are mine! But the new mindies love giving them there breakfast (veggies) and helping to top up the water!

So far the 11 month old hasn't worried about them, I think as they are there it's not strange IYSWIM!

They wheek so loud at breadstick packets! As mine love parsley (which currently they have the shop bought packet one teehee)

I love them, hubby not so impressed, but have caught him chatting to them loL!

helenlc
31-03-2010, 08:34 PM
All sounds good then. I want to include the mindees and for them to get some fun and learning out of the experience too.

The mum of my new 10 mth old mindee did ask if I had any pets and I said only fish. But I will mention it in my next newsletter and include a copy of my RA so they can see how I am keeping the kids safe.

I think I might wait though for a little while as we are going on holiday at the end of May. With the fish I can get one of those feeding blocks to leave in the tank but not sure I will get someone to be able to have the guinea pigs.

Thanks!

Rubybubbles
31-03-2010, 09:03 PM
see how cute we are:D

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/Rubybees/P1010298.jpg

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/Rubybees/P1010333.jpg

Trouble
31-03-2010, 09:23 PM
rascal big one, ruby one to left, and rosie to the right hiding she looks like a bottle brush

helenlc
01-04-2010, 07:16 AM
They're all adorable!!

And do they like being handled? Again, I would like them to be used to being handled.

And do the mindees hold them too? Do you just risk assess this? Get parents permission, I assume, for the children to handle them.

My mindees are all aged 2 and under so they wouldnt necessarily hold them but I would encourage them to pet them if they want.

And do you keep them outside or in or a combination of both?

mushpea
01-04-2010, 07:16 AM
they are sooo cute, we have had lots of piggys over the years, we are now down to one very old one whose on his own cause his parnter died but he gets lots of cudles so seems happy enough, i just explain to the children they dont poke fingers in the cage, I take out the old hay and they help put int the fresh hay and food.
those of you that have indoor piggys, how do you deal with the mess, when i had mine indoors they would run around the cage then the sawdust would fly everywhere! this is why they got put outside cause i didnt have the time to hoover every 5mins!!

SparklingGems
01-04-2010, 07:43 AM
My sons ex childminder had guinea pigs and he loved them like they were his.
She gave us a permission form for handling and petting them.

I love guinea pigs but unfortunately we travel up every month to visit family over the weekend so would have no one to take care of them.

I love the pics of your guinea pigs guys so cute :D

miss mopple
01-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I have 2 guineas, pip and squeak

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/goldilocks_08/007-2.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/goldilocks_08/003-2.jpg

they live inside over the winter and have just gone back outside for the spring/summer.

When they are in I just put their cage in the playroom and tbh it doesnt really make a mess at all. We also have a house rabbit that lives in there and a hamster :laughing:

Mindees don't handle them much, but do stroke them when they are out. They are so cute and great fun :D

RedDragon
01-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I have 3 guinea pigs.

Mr Magoogoo is the favourite - and oldest.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/th_chi.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/?action=view&current=chi.jpg)

Got this chicken house for them

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/th_DYL5.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/?action=view&current=DYL5.jpg)

Plus, I don't know if I am doing right but I put everything through my expenses - the hutch, the food, the bedding - because if I wasn't Childminding I wouldn't have them.

miss mopple
01-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I put everything through my books too for the same reason :)

LOOPYLISA
01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Just want to say we have 2 guinea pigs they are lovely :clapping:

Ours live in the lounge :blush: , we have to clean them out every 2-3 days as well or else they do wiff :D

Go on get some they are adorable, they make such cute noises chattering away :laughing:

helenlc
01-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Got to convince hubby first!! Even though I am picking up a hutch from Freecycle in the morning!!:blush: :laughing: (Was too good an opportunity to miss and I will just re-Freecycle it if we decide not to get them:D )

I went to get the hutch and run this morning. Folded up back 2 seats of my car to make room. Drove 20 mins to where the lady lives. Still hadnt told hubby!!:blush:

When I got there it was massive. Its this one:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Rabbitshack-Products/Double-Hutch-with-Exercise-Run-RS-4019/invt/rs00020

All assembled and it wouldnt go in my boot!

So I had to ring hubby and ask if he was doing any deliveries nr West Wickham today so he could pick something up for me. He said no he wasnt. Then what was it? So had to tell him.:blush: He wasnt impressed:laughing: but is humouring me!

We are going back over later when the mindees have all gone home and I can put all the back seats out the way!!:laughing:

So I have what would have otherwise have been the biggest layout money wise. I was thinking of keeping them outside in spring/summer anyway, so can get an indoor cage at a later stage.

Ooh I want some now!!

angel9199
01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I got two guinea pigs at the weekend Boo and Chocolate and they are great so far, my dd goes into them everymorning and feeds them and gets them fresf fruit and veg, then picks them both up for cuddle.
My mindees called overyesterday to see them and they both love them.

I wanted a pet but was not sure what to get as I have a son whos one, but I def think they were a good choice!!

Rubybubbles
01-04-2010, 01:10 PM
wow thats some lucky gp their in that Red Dragon!

Liking the new cage Helenlc!

Mine were on fleece but back onto sawdust inside as I find it doesn't smell so quickly, and you can compost their used bedding:D

I put a dry nights sleep mat, followed by newspaper, saw dust then hay in a litter tray or on hay tray on side! I like to change it around lol! I don't find they get it out side of the cage, it's more when I pick them up they may have a bit on their fur!
Mine don't like to be handled to much by the lo, but do come out and have lap time with me every night lol!

I do like to put them outside in their bigger hutch now it's getting warmer (well!) and am looking at getting a run to add on lol!

I love my gp teehee!

I got mine from a resuce, please do look on RSCPA as there are so many unwanted gp out there it's scary! They breed very quickly! so if missexed ekk:eek: you may have more than first planned

They also like t have company! I went for girls as they tend to get along well in pairs, and the resuce will only pair ones that get along

Sorry:blush: I did loads of reseach before I got mine!

miffy
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
That's a lovely hutch Helen - how many guinea pigs are you getting?

Miffy xx

LOOPYLISA
01-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Def get 2 they don't like living alone :thumbsup:

We have 2 boys who sometimes fight , you will know when they do as there teeth chatter away and they are nose to nose, but this is very rare i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my piggys loads wish i got them years ago :thumbsup:

helenlc
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I am going to get 2 as I know they like company.

My DS and DD can then name one each - not sure how wise this is as we got fish last week and they are called David, Beckham, Fish and Chips!!!!:laughing:

Hubby is coming round the the idea now!!!:blush: I think I will wait til after our holiday in May tho as its a big ask to expect someone to come in every day and feed them.

LOOPYLISA
01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I bought the cage,then told hubs we were getting 2 guinea pigs :laughing:

loocyloo
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
i want 'giggy pigs' !

i had them growing up,and so did my friend, and we bred them! baby ones are SOOOOO cute !

i had some before DS was born, but was working fulltime, and felt they didn't get enought attention, then when i was home, they both got ill and died.

i do want some, but am concerned that my cat who is a hunter :rolleyes: will harrass them!

for those who keep them inside, do you use sawdust at all, or just newspaper and hay in cage? ( am pretty sure we still have an indoor cage in the loft !!!)

my friend who also had them sent me a card recently with a photo of two guinea pigs on the front and the question '' why are you always smiling? '' inside it said '' because we're grinny pigs! ''

xxx

LOOPYLISA
01-04-2010, 05:15 PM
i want 'giggy pigs' !

i had them growing up,and so did my friend, and we bred them! baby ones are SOOOOO cute !

i had some before DS was born, but was working fulltime, and felt they didn't get enought attention, then when i was home, they both got ill and died.

i do want some, but am concerned that my cat who is a hunter :rolleyes: will harrass them!

for those who keep them inside, do you use sawdust at all, or just newspaper and hay in cage? ( am pretty sure we still have an indoor cage in the loft !!!)

my friend who also had them sent me a card recently with a photo of two guinea pigs on the front and the question '' why are you always smiling? '' inside it said '' because we're grinny pigs! ''

xxx

Hi we have 3 cats with our 2 piggys , only 1 out of three is curious and lays on top their cage :laughing:

He actually puts his paw through the bars and pats their nose :D

Ours live indoors and i put paper down on the botom of the cage, then a layer of sawdust/wood shavings and some hay :thumbsup::thumbsup:

kindredspirits
02-04-2010, 07:10 AM
i've got 3 - we started off with 2 sisters and when my step-sons pig died we adopted step-daughters as she was no longer interested and their mum didn't want to get a new one for company as she was always looking after them.
so now we have 3 - they live free-range in the garden and always come home - the kids love them and watch them running around but they are no longer catchable due to being free-range - they run very fast! :)
mine are called Aero, Wispa and Marge.

apparently if you get girls they are easier and less agressive! and if yu get babies and handle them a lot then they will be happier to be handled! :thumbsup:

Leanne59
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
oh they are sooo cute I want one too! my boys would love them but my dp would shoot me!! as I said no to a cat!!

Monkey1
02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Ours are called igglepiggle and maccapaca, mindees named them. I put all things related to them through the books, they are sweet:clapping: I ask volunteers to look after them when i go away, mindees usually fight over them and parents don't mind:clapping: