PDA

View Full Version : Son Reduced 4 Teachers to Tears - Selective Mutism!

Carpet Monkeys
31-03-2010, 08:02 PM
As the title says, my fantastic DS reduced 4 teachers to tears today including the headmaster!

He has come on leaps and bounds these last 5-6 weeks, and last week he read to his teacher after I was 'called' into the office to complete a form, since then he has been reading to his teacher on a daily basis without me there!

On Sunday he woke up and said he wanted to speak to his teacher on the phone, so I pre-warned her and at first I didn't think it was going to happen, but then out of nowhere he started to have his first conversation, ever with a teacher. We were all overwhelmed. So Tuesday I went into the school and we had a conversation between the 3 of us and he spoke directly to her, answering her questions it was just amazing.

Well today because of all the progress he has made this half term he got a Golden Award during assembly, he went to his teacher and in a very confident voice said 'thank you' to his teacher, she started to well up, then he went onto the headmaster who gave him his Golden Star and again said 'thank you' which started off the headmaster, along with two other teachers.

I received a voicemail from his teacher and you could just tell that something wonderful had happened, I think we are there ...... it's just fantastic.

To top it all off, another school in the area have heard of our success and have now approached my son's teacher for advice and they want to meet up with her, me and my DS after the Easter Holidays.

One very proud happy mummy today!

little miss chatterbox
31-03-2010, 08:04 PM
wow that's amazing! what a clever little boy - sounds like he has fab teachers too!

Trouble
31-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Well done young man you should be very proud of yourself:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

sarah707
31-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Wow that is absolutely brilliant!

Well done all of you :clapping:

WibbleWobble
31-03-2010, 08:07 PM
well your son has reduced me to tears too....

its lovely isnt it when they do something so wonderful....and what great teachers.
DD#2 has autism but the most pitch perfect singing voice. her first year at the special high school they had an xmas musical -Cats- katie was Druzella (SP) and had to sing memories (elaine paige did it) well me and my biker OH were sat there tears rolling...i didnt care!
My heart soared...and i bet your did too!

big kiss to you both

mandy xx

TheBTeam
31-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Absolutely fantastic news.

haribo
31-03-2010, 08:12 PM
thats fantastic news :clapping: well done to your son and all involved with him xxx

RachelE
Thats fantastic! Well done to your son! :clapping:

I'm sure he has made the teachers week!

I hope he continues to do so well. :)

Rachel x

Twinkles
Made me cry too :rolleyes:

That's fantastic well done you and your DS. It's lovely to hear of wonderful caring teachers too :thumbsup:

Hats
31-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Fantastic news:clapping: :clapping: . There'll be no stoping him now hopefully!!

francinejayne
31-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh what a lovely story, you must be sooooo very proud of him! I'm so pleased for you all!

xxxx

Ripeberry
31-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Well done, what a wonderful DS and teachers :)

Helen Dempster
31-03-2010, 08:31 PM
this really made me smile - well done to all of you for helping/encouraging him - you've obviously all worked together and come up with a great result :clapping: What a little star - and well done again.

solly
31-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Well done to your son:clapping:

angiemog
31-03-2010, 08:35 PM
You must be sooooo proud, well done xx

breezy
31-03-2010, 08:37 PM
wonderful news and wonderful teachers, fantastic mum and superstar son :clapping:

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Ah thats lovely bet your so very proud of him :clapping:

jelly15
31-03-2010, 08:54 PM
How wonderful, so pleased for you and your DS (have been welling up too on reading your news).

snufflepuff
31-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh wow how lovely! clever little man, you must be so proud! Sounds like he has some really wonderful teachers too.

janedoe
31-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Thats fantastic! A huge WELL DONE for your boy!!:magnificent:

her8y
31-03-2010, 09:41 PM
How lovely. What a fantastic achievement.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Mrs Book
31-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh wow what a fantastic achievement. You are allowed to be a proud mom :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Shirlwith3
01-04-2010, 05:28 AM
that is fantastic , got tears in my eye now.

There is a little girl in my dd's class (reception) & she uses a wheel chair but recently she has started to use a walking frame so for the psat 2 assembly's she has walked in as familis are allowed to come too I was talking to her mumm last week & she gets very proud of her dd whenshe walks & must say I have tears in my eye too evry time I see.

mama2three
01-04-2010, 06:25 AM
what a team - you should all be very proud of each other!!:D :D

loocyloo
01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
thats so wonderful. well done all of you and esp DS.

made me cry reading it!

xxx

sandy64
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
what a fantastic achievement well done to him:clapping: ive a tear in my eye too.

Alibali
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
How wonderful, you must be over the moon.

sonia ann
01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
i have been reading about your sons progress with interest and cried when I read this post ....i am so pleased for you all:)

funemnx
01-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh that's just amazing! Well done for all the hard work! My youngest of 4 really only speaks to me (he's 18 now) and people do feel that they need him to talk, but he does if he really needs to. It's wonderfull when they do talk! :clapping:

teacake2
01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Well done for you and your son, it is fantastic when this happens. My special needs mindee who cannot walk unaided or say more than a dozen words took two steps on his own at school this week, his support assistant was so proud of him she spent the next 15 mins ringing everyone who is involved in his care. He is 5 this month.:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:
Teacake2

Paws
02-04-2010, 06:54 AM
I am binking very, very, very hard so that I don't start bawling.

Please pass him on a big cuddle from me. That is such amazing progress, I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

:jump for joy:

Carpet Monkeys
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Thank you all for your lovely supportive words ... we are still very excited about the progress made to date, just hope that the Easter Holidays don't set us back, but being the wonderful teacher she is, she has set DS a few challenges which involve him calling her and we are planning on an accidental bumping into each other one day during the holidays too!!

LeanneC
02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
:clapping: :clapping:

Ive actually got tears in my eyes...well done to your DS :thumbsup:

One step at a time but fingers crossed he will talking the hind legs off a donkey soon xx

Carpet Monkeys
24-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Another update for you all ... son's wonderful teacher came round to ours during the Easter Holidays for a cuppa and chat. DS chatted to her like she was a family friend, it was wonderful! It also transpires that she taught at the Primary School I went to and taught my sister - anyway, back to DS.

DS went back to school on Monday and put up his hand and answered a question, much to the surprise of all his class mates who all gasped in amazement ... he then continued throughout the week. On Thursday he had his session with the SENCO there was another teacher in the room (male), and he started talking about Match Attack cards, well that was it there was no stopping DS!

I've had an old colleague that I worked with over 10 years ago asking me for advice as she has a child at her school who has it too and they want myself and DS teacher to help out!

Then on Friday morning, I received a call from a local journalist and he wants to do an article for the local rag about Selective Mutism, his wonderful teacher and my DS, to bring it to the attention of the local community.

So it's all been good in the hood, the big thing this week is (apart from the photo shoot), class assembly on Thursday, DS has two lines to say ... watch this space, I'm so nervous for him!!!

TheBTeam
24-04-2010, 05:56 PM
It sounds like your son is doing so well, hopefully he has past the worst of it now and you can all use the benefit of your experience to help others.

Good luck for your son on Thursday, i would take the tissues!

monkey62
24-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Well done to your son. This are fantastic news

huggableshelly
24-04-2010, 06:18 PM
absolutly fantastic, i'm in tears too as it reminded me of when my son spoke using a microphone for the first time in year 2 and he was clear too.

He had practices "thankyou for coming" at home, at school, in 1-1 and with his speech therapist for several weeks ..... parents who have known him since nursery welled up - as did teachers and I joined him on the stage in tears too!

Best of luck to him, may he continue on with his fantastic new use of communication.

claire bear 72
25-04-2010, 09:06 AM
reduced me to tears too..........u must be so proud and ready to burst!!!!! :clapping: :laughing:

peanuts
25-04-2010, 09:12 AM
you must be so proud of your ds. i bet there wont be many dry eyes after the assembly either

WibbleWobble
25-04-2010, 01:38 PM
it just gets better doesnt it?

love mandy xxxxxx