PDA

View Full Version : is this gud or unusual 4 a childminder

hollyoaksmad
31-03-2010, 05:08 PM
The childrens parents i care for seem to really like me they want to go on days out together with me to get to know children and keep mum company does anyone else do this. there used to nannys

Mookins
31-03-2010, 05:10 PM
The childrens parents i care for seem to really like me they want to go on days out together with me to get to know children and keep mum company does anyone else do this. there used to nannys

was going to say thats like a Nanny
x x

hollyoaksmad
31-03-2010, 05:11 PM
there not paying me but its to get used to kids and i av a lot of free time. i duno i will do it but just wandered if anyone else doesxx

balloon
31-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Personally I would not get too friendly, it's very difficult when you have to put fees up, get cross with late payers or late collectors or say 'no' to somebody you have become pally with. Just ,my opinion though and others may feel very different.

youarewhatyoueat
I do invite mums to join me at toddlers before they start if they would like to. But I wouldn't do it the other way round, I have in the past visited the child in their own home but only because all my own children were at home and it was easier. I wouldn't want to become too friendly with the parents I like to try to keep it seperate from my private life .

Mouse
Personally I wouldn't do it, I keep my business & social life separate. If they wanted me to get to know the children better they would have to arrange more sessions with me. And it wouldn't be my job to keep mum company :eek:

Minstrel
31-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't think i would do it- i have my own friends!

If they want the child to get to know me better and settle the child in more then they can jolly well pay for my time.

It's different if they genuinely are friends or parents who become frineds but i think this sounds wmore like they want you to accompany them as their employee. :rolleyes:

sarah707
31-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Well there's a confidentiality issue if you are taking other children with you too...

You'd need their parents permission and wouldn't be able to leave them alone with other parents.

I'm not sure I would be happy with it, I welcome parents to come in and see how I work but at the end of the day they have to trust me.

Hth :D

caz3007
31-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I have become friends with some of my mums. One started coming to toddlers with me when she was off work. Two others I have been out with on several occasions with other mums from the school (my son is several years younger, so these are mums I have got to know cos I look after the children) and also have been to a New Years Party at a mindies house. Having said that, I have looked after the children for many years, so have become friends.

hollyoaksmad
31-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I dnt mind any other children and i wudnt take them if i did!

Pipsqueak
31-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Parents are more than welcome to accompany me on outings or groups - during my time working

mamasheshe
31-03-2010, 07:05 PM
yeah i offer a couple of settling in sessions (mum is more than welcome to come round and settle in to help the process) i don't think I'd be comfortable going on outings with parents unless i was getting paid for my time:blush:

remeber you are a professional :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
31-03-2010, 07:10 PM
My first reaction was to say no, no, no, no!!!!

But then I remembered that I often tell the mums I mind for if we are going to the park or softplay after school so they can bring thier own kids if they want. But not when I'm minding their kids! Bit strange that the mum wants to come on days out! She should be arranging shorter settling in sessions if she wants them to get used to you.

I find the whole thing about you doing this all for free really odd too, I have to admit! But then maybe I'm just really mean! There's no way I would do it for free. If you want to get used to the kids yourself, just go for a couple of short settling in sessions for free!

Tinglesnark
31-03-2010, 07:20 PM
well you seem to have made up your mind that your going to do this - personally i find it odd and i wouldnt do it mainly because i dont think that you should mix business with pleasure. i offer 6 hours free as taster session that can be divided however the parent wishes. the parents are encouraged to stay for as long as they need but i do advise them that it is better for them not to linger too long so that we have a chance to bond.
if i were you i would encourage them to come to you but for taster sessions with the parents only staying for a certain period of the session
x
good luck
:thumbsup:

The Juggler
31-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I certainly wouldn't do it in my free time!

wendywu
31-03-2010, 10:09 PM
If i did it i would want paying as well. :)

SparklingGems
01-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I think its down to personal choice. I went to toddlers on my days off with my sons childminder and we are now really good friends we have tea together etc. If you think it will help you bond with the child and dont mind not getting paid then id go ahead its your business and aslong as you dont take any other mindees with you there is not any issues their.

Hope it goes well

caz3007
01-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Make sure she isnt taking advantage though, expecting you to take responsibility on this day out, but with her watching over you