PDA

View Full Version : Bins

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 04:00 PM
How do you all manage with all your rubbish?

I have a standard wheelie bin and its always so full by bin day I have to stand in it to squash it down plus I have the most recycling in my whole street so its not through lack of recycling and Im just thinking of all the extra rubbish I will acrue once Im minding.

Thanks

Spangles
31-03-2010, 05:58 PM
If we get too much rubbish ie. at christmas or something we borrow a bin from an empty house down the street!

Can't say that our bins are normally overly full though.

x

avril
31-03-2010, 06:20 PM
We never seem to fill our bin, well except christmas is usually the exception. I do recycle everything, plastic, glass, tin, cardboard, batteries, hubby says if he stood still long enough I would recycle him :cool:

Winnie
31-03-2010, 06:27 PM
How do you all manage with all your rubbish?

I have a standard wheelie bin and its always so full by bin day I have to stand in it to squash it down plus I have the most recycling in my whole street so its not through lack of recycling and Im just thinking of all the extra rubbish I will acrue once Im minding.
Thanks

I dont think you'll find any extra rubbish (maybe nappies) We only have a small bin- and its the old fashioned sort too:eek: our recycling bin is the new type but we manage to fill that:D
We recycle or reuse almost everything :thumbsup:

patevans
31-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I have to use my neighbours bins too, I have been lucky because next door and next door but one have been empty until recently so have been using 3 recycle bins :laughing:

caz3007
31-03-2010, 06:34 PM
We have a large wheely bin for recycling and its full when its due to be emptied once a fortnight. We also have a large wheely bin for other rubbish and only half fill it each week. At the moment, I have one part timer in nappies, so not a lot of extra rubbish. I do recycle everything and we have a dog for leftovers and a compost bin, so very little other rubbish

Gizmo
31-03-2010, 06:38 PM
We have 3 bins black one for general rubbish a blue one for recycling and a red one for glass. The black and blue ones only get emptied on alternete weeks and the red one once a month. So we have to use the in-laws next door quite a lot

grindal
31-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I sometimes take a bag of rubbish on the daily playgroup run and chuck it in a public bin!

babs
31-03-2010, 07:46 PM
not really noticed any extra but then my hubby fills my bin at the end of everyday, trying to get him to recycle is like banging my head against a wall...

WibbleWobble
31-03-2010, 08:13 PM
we recycle lots and compost as well so we only put out half to three quarters of a bins worth of rubbish every week (including the recycling) there are three adults in this house...plus 3 mindees!

singingcactus
01-04-2010, 06:47 AM
We just about manage with ours. We have a small skinny wheelie bin, there are 3 adults and 3 kids here, and then the mindees too and it gets picked up once a fortnight. The recycling one we struggle more. This is a regular sized one but again only picked up once a fortnight.
We try to buy responsibly as far as packaging goes, but it is hard if the shops won't package responsibly and the council won't recycle very much. We can recycle tin cans, paper and only 2 types of plastic here! In oxfordshire we could recycle paper, all plastics, glass, cans and metal, textiles and even tetra packs. There was also local facilities for recycling yellow pages and phone books.
Our compost/green waste bins have not been emptied at all for the last 4 months either so all green waste has had to go into the landfill (we are not able to have compost bins in our garden because we have to have it cleared out whenever we get posted and this yard is way too pokey!)

SparklingGems
01-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all your replys my bins are only emptied fortnightly. I have a compost bin for food and garden waste but it doesnt always get collected and gets very smelly.

Using neighbours bins now thats an idea. I have just told hubby he may need to do a weekly trip to the tip.

We cant recycle much plastic here except milk and plastic bottles.

Its strange how every council has different rules on what they can/cant recycle.

SparklingGems
01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
I sometimes take a bag of rubbish on the daily playgroup run and chuck it in a public bin!

:laughing: :clapping: :laughing:

SparklingGems
01-04-2010, 07:17 AM
We never seem to fill our bin, well except christmas is usually the exception. I do recycle everything, plastic, glass, tin, cardboard, batteries, hubby says if he stood still long enough I would recycle him :cool:

Recycling hubby now thats an idea :laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
01-04-2010, 07:29 AM
We manage fine with fortnightly bins and there are 6 of us before mindees, when I had lots of nappies I double wrapped them and sent them home but now we only have a few a day so put them in our bin.
If we do have extra to put out we can buy sacks from the council that they will then take as an extra to the the bin, quite handy when we have a clear out, I think theyre 50p each, you could try asking yours and pop them through your accounts.

angiemog
01-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I have 2 wheelie bins each emptied fornightly. Mine is never full..... We can recycle tins, bottles, paper and cardboard. Our glass goes in a separate box and we take that when we go to the library. I have a little compost bin on my work top which i use the biodegradable bags and then put straight in the compost bin in the garden every few days. I also keep a box on the stairs for all paper..... when its full we empty it in wheelie bin. For me it makes it easier than going outside to bin lots of times during the day. I used to have a garden waste bin too now I use my main wheelie bins for anything I cant fit in my composter.
Our shredded paper also goes in the composter......
My mindees use all my scrap paper I keep a pile ready for them to use. For special crafts they get to use the nice stuff!
I used to keep a big box in the garage of stuff for junk modelling.......but wasn't getting used quickly enough.....
I don't tend to hoard stuff but do reuse or recycle as much as I can. x

mama2three
01-04-2010, 07:52 AM
not really noticed any extra but then my hubby fills my bin at the end of everyday, trying to get him to recycle is like banging my head against a wall...

my husbands the same , it drives me mad! I regularly have to head off to the local tip when i cant squash my bin down any more! there are 5 of us , our council will give bigger bins to families of 6 or more.