PDA

View Full Version : Hand towel dispenser

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 01:34 PM
When I had my pre reg inspection was told I needed a hand towel dispenser.

Can anyone advise me what they have please and anywhere they can recommend to purchase one?

specks4
31-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I dont have one of those. i use kitchen roll for the children to wipe their hands. Tear abit off wipe hands then throw away in the bin.
Its your home surely Ofsted cant expect you to have one???????????????

loocyloo
31-03-2010, 01:43 PM
i have a basket by the sink with paper towels in. think DH would go a bit loopy if i said i needed a dispenser on the wall!

Toothfairy
31-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I have these in my kitchen and the childrens toilet.
I have just had my inspection and Mrs O thought they were great.
You find them in the kitchen section at Ikea and they are £1.49 each, I just hang them from my towel rail and fill them with paper hand towels.:thumbsup:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90072648

Blue Boy
31-03-2010, 01:49 PM
We have a towel dispenser by the sink which we got from a local Costco. It cuts down on the washing of individual hand towels and cuts the chance of cross contamination when the little ones use someone elses towel.

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I have these in my kitchen and the childrens toilet.
I have just had my inspection and Mrs O thought they were great.
You find them in the kitchen section at Ikea and they are £1.49 each, I just hang them from my towel rail and fill them with paper hand towels.:thumbsup:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90072648

Wow tooth fairy what a fantastic idea thats exactly what I had pictured in my mind and what a good price. Ikea here I come :)

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I dont have one of those. i use kitchen roll for the children to wipe their hands. Tear abit off wipe hands then throw away in the bin.
Its your home surely Ofsted cant expect you to have one???????????????

I suggestd this but she said children need to have access to do it them selves.

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 01:56 PM
We have a towel dispenser by the sink which we got from a local Costco. It cuts down on the washing of individual hand towels and cuts the chance of cross contamination when the little ones use someone elses towel.

She told me towels are not a good idea as children will use eachothers and no matter how hard you try they will never be hygenic.

Does the dispenser take up alot of wall space?

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 01:58 PM
i have a basket by the sink with paper towels in. think DH would go a bit loopy if i said i needed a dispenser on the wall!

Thats also fab idea unfortunately I dont have anywhere near my toilet at child level I could put a basket :(

hop04
31-03-2010, 02:05 PM
That looks fab from ikea. I love that shop!!! :clapping: Where abouts do you get the paper towels from? thanks x

happydays1
31-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi, i just have a kitchen towel stand, most home bits stores sell them only a couple of quid, this way you can put in reach of children or put away when not needed. My ofsted inspector said these are fine, i think any dispenser will do alongs children are able to reach it and help themselves:)

cas2805
31-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Each of my children choose their colour towel at the start of the week and they remember which colour is theirs. It's all part of the fun of hand washing time. I purchased a variety of small towels for about £1.50 each and Mrs O was happy with this.

sarah707
31-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I have a big stack of cotton face cloths.

Children take one, use it and put it in a washing bin.

They are hot washed (no powder because of allergies) every day.

It works for me :D

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Each of my children choose their colour towel at the start of the week and they remember which colour is theirs. It's all part of the fun of hand washing time. I purchased a variety of small towels for about £1.50 each and Mrs O was happy with this.

Its amazing how different each inspector is mine said that they would use each others when they had been busy playing or were in a rush to get back to stuff. Sounds like an excellent price tho

newandlearning
31-03-2010, 03:46 PM
hi.. I've got a stock of various coloured flannels which I keep on a 3 drawer wicker unit.. the kids use and then put in a pedal bin which they love opening with their foot.. I've found this a really effective way of drying hands and environmentally friendly too :)

just one more thing.. recently I went to a new nursery for a nose around and there they had mini child-sized hand dryers which were pretty strong .. I REALLY liked those and would really like one of those if I had the space for it..x

sillysausage
31-03-2010, 03:54 PM
She told me towels are not a good idea as children will use eachothers and no matter how hard you try they will never be hygenic.

My inspector was quite happy with individual towels. I have a little row of hooks each with a named photo above it. Children get their own hook as soon as they are able to stand at the sink (on the step stool). Children being children get surprisingly possessive over their towel ('that's mine under my picture!') and in 6 years of using this system children using the wrong towel is a very rare occurance. Children will be hygienic if they are taught from a very young age and it becomes an automatic habit.

mama2three
31-03-2010, 03:58 PM
i use paper hand towels as the hpa poster says this is the most hygienic method for handwashing.
Where do other minders get theirs? so far ive only been able to find the huge boxes and im so short of storage space. thanks.

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 04:02 PM
hi.. I've got a stock of various coloured flannels which I keep on a 3 drawer wicker unit.. the kids use and then put in a pedal bin which they love opening with their foot.. I've found this a really effective way of drying hands and environmentally friendly too :)

just one more thing.. recently I went to a new nursery for a nose around and there they had mini child-sized hand dryers which were pretty strong .. I REALLY liked those and would really like one of those if I had the space for it..x

those hand driers sound cool I would love one to dont think my baby or dh would agree tho :(

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a big stack of cotton face cloths.

Children take one, use it and put it in a washing bin.

They are hot washed (no powder because of allergies) every day.

It works for me :D

I like this idea to and I guess it creates less rubbish and is better for the environment. So do you have 2 bins in your toilet then? I have a tiny downstairs toilet so not much space

LOOPYLISA
31-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I have a paper towel dispenser from bookers

Never used as stopped minding before it got put up

Any offers????? think postage would be alot as its quite heavy :thumbsup:

~Chelle~
31-03-2010, 06:11 PM
My inspector was quite happy with individual towels. I have a little row of hooks each with a named photo above it. Children get their own hook as soon as they are able to stand at the sink (on the step stool). Children being children get surprisingly possessive over their towel ('that's mine under my picture!') and in 6 years of using this system children using the wrong towel is a very rare occurance. Children will be hygienic if they are taught from a very young age and it becomes an automatic habit.

This is what I have, Mrs O said this was fine :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
31-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a basket with IKEA flannels in it. the children know to take one to dry their hands and then put it in the small pedal bin for washing! I have enough that I only need to put a wash on once or twice a week, and I put them through a boil wash :thumbsup:

Daisy1956
31-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I use face cloths after use put into bin and hot washed each day.

Cazz
31-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I've got a paper hand towel dispenser as I had room for it and I thought it would be the most hygienic thing. I have a seperate plastic bin underneath it for disposal of used paper towels.

I got mine from Makro - it's not one of the really huge ones and you soon get used to it being there anyway. I can't remember off-hand how much it cost - £20 something I think. The paper towels to fill it are available at Makro as well.

Blue Boy
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
We have a towel dispenser by the sink which we got from a local Costco. It cuts down on the washing of individual hand towels and cuts the chance of cross contamination when the little ones use someone elses towel. It does not take up much room at all. We have on average 4 children each day on some 6. The paper towel last for around two weeks allowing for them to pull out more than they need.

babs
01-04-2010, 08:49 AM
i have lots of face cloths all different colours, they dry thier hands place in basket to wash at end of day

RedDragon
01-04-2010, 10:26 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T2100-Electric-Auto-Automatic-Warm-Air-Hand-Dryer_W0QQitemZ110395123331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B OI_Restaurant_RL?hash=item19b40fe683

Do you think this is worth getting?

and am I allowed to put it in here?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/th_103.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/?action=view&current=103.jpg)

babs
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
my mindees would have a field day with one of them, at playgroup they must goto the toilet 100 times just to use hand dryer, cus when we get there i say go on then and get you go ill wash my hands and dry them ...:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

manjay
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I have always used individual face cloths and that worked fine. I have just had a new sink fitted in the utility room for the children and I now have a paper towel dispenser. So much easier imo:D . Mine was the slimline one from Makro (about £10) and enough towels to last a couple of months were also £10.

hop04
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T2100-Electric-Auto-Automatic-Warm-Air-Hand-Dryer_W0QQitemZ110395123331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_B OI_Restaurant_RL?hash=item19b40fe683

Do you think this is worth getting?

and am I allowed to put it in here?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/th_103.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk102/BAABAACHI6/?action=view&current=103.jpg)

It looks like it would fit in nicely. But i wonder if you have to have an electrician to fit it as you cant have plugs in there?? Also wouldnt it use lots of electricty???
Does look nice thou! x

ss1983
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
hiso just washing the childrens hands in the sink and drying them on paper towels then putting it in bin is this ok

i mind a 15 month old and 6 month old cant we just wipe there hands with a baby wipe

RedDragon
01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
It looks like it would fit in nicely. But i wonder if you have to have an electrician to fit it as you cant have plugs in there?? Also wouldnt it use lots of electricty???
Does look nice thou! x

That is what I was wondering because there is water in the room.

Will have to check.

hop04
01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
hiso just washing the childrens hands in the sink and drying them on paper towels then putting it in bin is this ok

i mind a 15 month old and 6 month old cant we just wipe there hands with a baby wipe

o look after a 14month old and my own 7 month old and thats all i do. I wipe their hands after a nappy change to get them into good habits and wipe their hands (i encourage the 14month to have a go himself first) before they eat. i then have a stack of face cloths that i wet with warm water to wash their hands and faces after food. Im sure this is fine?

nokidshere
02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a single towel on a towel hook that all the children use and its changed daily.

When they dry their hands they are already clean. They have already spread enough germs round the house, toys, each other in the time before washing their hands - the same hands that they have had up their noses, in their mouths and goodness knows where else ;)

Mrs O was perfectly happy with the arrangement.

ss1983
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
o look after a 14month old and my own 7 month old and thats all i do. I wipe their hands after a nappy change to get them into good habits and wipe their hands (i encourage the 14month to have a go himself first) before they eat. i then have a stack of face cloths that i wet with warm water to wash their hands and faces after food. Im sure this is fine?

so you just use a wipe after nappy change and a face cloth for after eating? do you use the kitchen sick i dont have a downstairs toilet?

Chimps Childminding
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I have a single towel on a towel hook that all the children use and its changed daily.

When they dry their hands they are already clean. They have already spread enough germs round the house, toys, each other in the time before washing their hands - the same hands that they have had up their noses, in their mouths and goodness knows where else ;) Mrs O was perfectly happy with the arrangement.

Good point!!!!!!:thumbsup:

AnnieM
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Our local school nursery has one of the hand blowers and a towel hung on the apron rack, all the children use the towel. I haven't heard the blower going for ages, so don't even know if it still works. :panic:

funfunfun
03-04-2010, 07:36 PM
http://www.beaucaremedical.co.uk/Continence/product/Small+Hand+Towel+Dispenser.html

http://www.beaucaremedical.co.uk/Hygiene_and_Janitorial/product/Pull+Soft+Blue+Interfold+3600+per+case.html

Think i will buy theses ???

beccas
03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
why funfunfun its just added expense your mrs o never metioned it i used baby wipes before dinner at my inspection and after and mrs o said fine as i dont have downstairs toilet and its safer than lifing them to the sink. if you just use paper towels or flannels you can get packs of 4 at pound land just have your logog put on them or numbers.

funfunfun
03-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I cant do with the hassle of boilwashing them everynight for the next day when they can use a paper towl and pop it in the bin :)

Cazz
03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I cant do with the hassle of boilwashing them everynight for the next day when they can use a paper towl and pop it in the bin :)

I agree - I prefer to use paper towels as well.

sweets
04-04-2010, 08:24 AM

me too, doing a boil wash costs a lot in electricity too!

beccas
04-04-2010, 09:47 AM
just haev paper towels then why do you need the expense of a despenser that never work every time can be tempermental.

funfunfun
04-04-2010, 11:31 AM
See what i can come up with

as i see some ppl have the basket from ikea (although im not too keen )

Think id prefer the dispenser