PDA

View Full Version : What do you do??

theplayroom
31-03-2010, 12:44 PM
A weird question maybe - but tthis afternoon i only have 1 little who is 1 1/2 the prob is he doesnt actually want to DO anything, literally wants to lines cars up and thats all he isnt intrested in painting, playdough anything else and he is not bothered whether im there trying to interact or not! - so ive just snuck off to the next room to check on here - does this ever happen to anyone else?
frannkly im a bit board!:blush:

Kes
31-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I've got a mindee thats 3 and only wants to play cars. Apparantly hes the same at preschool too. I got my big tunnel out the other day to try and get him to do something not car related, he looked at it then said can I drive my cars through it:)

Gizmo
31-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I have 2 one year olds who both sleep for 2 hours in the afternoon then all they want to do at the moment is walk, one has just started and the other is nearly there and I have a long hall so they go up and down all afternoon doesnt matter what toys I bring out

Pipsqueak
31-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Its a Schema. its his way of making sense of something, patterns of behaviour that aid learning. it will 'learn itself' out and probably be replaced by annother schema at some point.
Many many children display schemas.

Lots of info around about this.

you can try extending the schema like:
encouraging him to line up other things - indoors and outdoors, - blocks of wood, the trikes and bikes in the garden

lets just line up red cars/bricks/cows

lets see what we can spot thats in a line (while you are in town etc)

put the cars in sand - wet-dry/rice/water and see what happens when he lines them up - float, make tracks, patterns etc

theplayroom
31-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Yes its weird i feel like his mum isnt getting her 'money worth' from me!

Rubybubbles
31-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Its a Schema. its his way of making sense of something, patterns of behaviour that aid learning. it will 'learn itself' out and probably be replaced by annother schema at some point.
Many many children display schemas.

Lots of info around about this.

you can try extending the schema like:
encouraging him to line up other things - indoors and outdoors, - blocks of wood, the trikes and bikes in the garden

lets just line up red cars/bricks/cows

lets see what we can spot thats in a line (while you are in town etc)

put the cars in sand - wet-dry/rice/water and see what happens when he lines them up - float, make tracks, patterns etc

Beat me too it lol!! Although your way sounds much better than I would of put it lol!

nannysue
31-03-2010, 01:02 PM
i have a one year old who is like a clock work toy ...... she just wanders round and round !!!! :laughing: as long as she has something in each hand she as happy as Larry . She likes to carry things from room to room so i'm forever on the alert for what she has taken , things get lost for ages !!

As long as your little one is happy i really wouldn't worry , maybe find things for him to drive his cars through /up/over/under , tunnels and ramps sort of thing.

The Juggler
31-03-2010, 01:13 PM
ditto Pip, you could also introduce a garage, ramps etc for him to line them up on.

helenlc
31-03-2010, 01:32 PM
How about using some plastic cars in messy play ie in the sand, use the wheels to make tracks with paint etc?

When I worked in a pre-school I was a key worker to a LO who constantly played with the cars and garage and not much else. He wouldnt come in a group like the others to do the flash cards, number work etc.

So I used to sit with him on the car mat and we would count the cars, sort them into big and small, name the colours etc.

It is possible to use their favourite things/activities and incorporate them into other things as well. Sometimes its a case of thinking "outside the box" ie the cars dont just have to go up and down the garage, they could go up and down some drain pipe, through the rainbow rice or shaving foam etc.

SparklingGems
31-03-2010, 02:13 PM
This is an interesting thread my nephew is exactly like this he just plays for hours with cars. At the weekend my brother commented on how boring he is so I went over and I put them in the sand pit for him te other day and he enjoyed making tracks. We lined them up and counted them and we sorted them into colours. He is not my mindee but I can imagine you could do some stuff like this with your mindee.