PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Parent interviews please

bekki0405
30-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I have had a few interviews with parents recently, which always seem to go OK. The parents always say we'll call you to arrange a second visit, and I don't hear back.
I know that there are quite a few childminders in my area, so there is lots of choice.
The last interview I had, I tried really hard. I slowed down with my talking, as I'm aware I can get carried away. I had my folder out with all my information. I got down on the the floor with the baby, had the relevant toys out etc. The 2 mindees and one of my own behaved impeccably, and sat on my lap, and put their arms round me, which was great, as it showed how comfortable they were with me.

The parents seemed keen, and said they would call me, but again I've heard nothing. My friend seems to think that maybe the reason is, they really like me, but go to see another who just edges me for whatever reason.
I'm aware that as I have 4 of my own children under 10, parents may be conerned about this.

I'm considering calling it a day to be honest. I have not had any new children since last year, although I do know there have not been that many enquiries recently. The paperwork, effort put in vs the income I'm making just can't be justified long term. I have attended extra trainings, am about to complete my NVQ 3 CCLD, and am due to go on the network in May. I have explained this to the parents, and that I aim to become an i-provider, which could benefit them.

Has anyone got any other advice. Maybe someone else has been in this position, and has words of wisdom. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Mookins
30-03-2010, 07:03 PM
have you tried calling them? if they go and see someone else and they are doing a better deal at least you can then try again with a slightly better one! dont give up just grab em back

i dont think you having 4 of your own will be the problem if anything it shows experience

x x x

sarah707
30-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I always call for feedback!

Sometimes they say they prefer a nursery, sometimes a fellow childminder because they have more / less children than me...

I then ask how they found the interview and whether, for my personal development, I could have done anything differently to get their business.

Hth :D

bekki0405
30-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Hmmmmm. Good thinking Batman.

Unfortunately the last one, I didn't get a number. She called Thurs and asked to visit 1.5 hours later. I ran around like a loon to ensure everything was ready. I forgot to get a number.

Thank you,I will definitely do this in future.
:thumbsup:

little daisies
31-03-2010, 04:49 AM
i`ve had the same thing recently. since xmas i must of had about 10 people round, 3 of which have started, some dont start work untill may, june and august. but it is annoying. i think some people just like wasting your time

PerkyEars
31-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Same for me. I've grown to dread having parents round because they always chat politely for half an hour, then never get back to me.

It tends - I'm going to sterotype here - be the middle class parents who are looking for childcare while they work who I never hear back from. I've grown to dread having this type round to chat because I clean the house, get nervous for hours before, and it never results in anything.

The only two jobs I've had so far have been from immigrant ladies who've been studying at college and found childcare through their support workers. They seemed a lot more down to earth.

My husband overheard me on one of my interviews and he said I was too chatty and friendly - that I obviously wanted to be liked rather than make a sale. I'm not sure what I can do about this - if I had the personality of a salesperson I'd be in sales, lol. :laughing: I thought being myself was the way to go - but I guess not.

I'm getting paranoid the problem is the state of my house - we're in a frankly deliapidated rented house at the moment with decor c. 1985... I can clean it but I cant wave a magic wand and put in new fittings and floors.

I think inexperience doesn't help when starting out. I'm going to watch this thread for tips and hope someone's going to say it gets easier! I think I need to toughen up - the thought of phoning for feedback frankly terrifies me. :eek:

Blue Boy
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
We give the parents an information pack with lots of information, so they can look at it at their leisure, also enclosed is a feedback form which we ask them to fill out and send back to us in an attached stamped addressed envelope. We ask them to be honest and tell us why they have picked us to look after their little one(s) or why not. Most send it back it has helped us to see what works and what does not.

bekki0405
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I shall try this too!

bekki0405
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
i`ve had the same thing recently. since xmas i must of had about 10 people round, 3 of which have started, some dont start work untill may, june and august. but it is annoying. i think some people just like wasting your time

I wouldn't even mind if the start dates were a way off. At least it would be planned work. I agree with you though. You start getting paranoid!

Tinglesnark
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
We give the parents an information pack with lots of information, so they can look at it at their leisure, also enclosed is a feedback form which we ask them to fill out and send back to us in an attached stamped addressed envelope. We ask them to be honest and tell us why they have picked us to look after their little one(s) or why not. Most send it back it has helped us to see what works and what does not.

fab idea! would you be game to let us see this form?
:cool: ;)

Jelly Baby
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi the only thing that i think ive done that helps is an info pack too..mine doesnt have a feedback form on it but does have what i think is important info on it and helps them re check it after they get home. A lot of parents im sure are as nervous as us and dont always intake what we are saying etc!

Things like days out and what i do, fees and terms are always important factors i think so it helps them see it again rather than feeling arkward calling you back sounding like its all about the cost if you see what i mean.

The last 2 parents i have had have loved this..the twins who signed up last week said they found it very handy to refer back to and the other mum loved it saying she would have forgotten half of it to tell her hubby!

Good luck im sure you are doing nothing wrong its would just be nice for parents get back to you. x

birch24
04-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Your not the only one, I had 2 come on friday and they both loved it here and were here for ages, admittedly the first one said she is not quite sure what she is doing yet but was very interested, but the 2nd one even went as far as to discuss car seats and that they would get one for me to use, and settling in etc, havent heard from them since they said they would call me over the weekend!!!!:(

bekki0405
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Yaaaaayyyyy! The last parents who came for an interview, around two weeks ago called back, and want me to have their baby 3 days a week.
I think it must have been all your good vibes you were sending!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

maryp0ppins
06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Yaaaaayyyyy! The last parents who came for an interview, around two weeks ago called back, and want me to have their baby 3 days a week.
I think it must have been all your good vibes you were sending!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's Brilliant news, Very well done to you, keep your chin up & stay positive, more work will surly come your way :thumbsup: