PDA

View Full Version : Newbie fee help

funtoplay
19-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

Hope you are braced for a cold Easter, eating extra chocolate should help me get through it!!

I have only been registered a couple of weeks. Today I got an enquiry. A 6 month infant from end of August. I would love to have a baby. However August is quite a bit of time away and quite frankly I need to start making money really. It took forever to get registered!! Lost Papers!!! Anyway Before I reply to the enquiry just wanted to know what people do with regards to Retainers and Deposits. Would I charge a deposit or retainer?? Or should I say i can't take the baby and hope I get some more enquiries?? What would you do??

Thanks,
Hope you all get loads of eggs!!!!
Julia:)

sarah707
19-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I would just tell babies parents that while you are keen to help you are not sure what you vacancies will be like in August... would they like to pay a retainer to keep the place open or take the risk you might be full and ring you nearer the time...

Good luck! :D

disney
19-03-2008, 05:26 PM
yes i would do what sarah has said it is a long time , but hey thats great that you have had an interest already . fingers crossed im sure you will get some more soon :thumbsup:

HilaryT
19-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I always say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!! It also depends on your market forces - are childminders in demand in your area or are they all fighting for the same children?

Why don't you explain your dilemma to the parents and see if they come up with any suggestions - you could suggest a retainer or also you could suggest the baby starts earlier than August for just a few sessions and then increases its hours later?

It's a difficult decision - do you lose one parent in the hopes another will come along? I've given up that and just go with who ever wants me!

Good luck
Hilary

miffy
20-03-2008, 07:38 AM
You didn't say if the baby would be full time in which case it might be worth waiting for - August will come round pretty quick

Hilary has given you some good advice and it also depends how many vacancies you have - if there's a chance for you to fill another vacancy earlier then you might be able to wait for this one

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

angeldelight
20-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Great advice from the others

Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

buildingblocks
20-03-2008, 09:26 PM
As has been said really. I say a retainer is half fee and if they don't want to pay that then they have to take the chance of th space being taken when they do want it.

The other option you have if they don't want to pay a retainer you can say you can ring them if you have any other interest in the space (as you are a well sought after childminder in the area) ad give them first option on the place but a retainer would still need to be paid then to keep the place. It could mean then by showing this flexibility if this occurs that you end up with two spaces filled by August (hope that makes sense)