PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed time off???

30-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I have just given my parents their newsletters and on it it gives details of two days that I will not be working. I have given over 6 weeks notice to my parents and yet some of them seem to have an issue with it. Do they seriously think that I am not going to take any time off?????

aly
30-03-2010, 04:47 PM
of course not...you should be at their beck and call.!!

How selfish of you,

I can;t see what their problem is, you have given 6 weeks notice, I give a minimum of 4 weeks notice unless emergency....I have shift workers and have a dentist appt {follow up so not a checkup] and as they usually give me 2 weeks inadvance she didnt give me the shifts before dentist so told her look i can;t do this day as i have dentist..."oh I am working that day but I'll have to rearrange it"

take care.

caz3007
30-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Havent you realised we are expected to be available 365 days a year :) :)

I once told a mum my holidays in February for the whole year, first one in May and she said its not convenient, I put my holidays in at work already. She had been with me for a couple of years, so knew how it all worked, but expected me for some reason to fit in with her

suzyblue
30-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I have four weeks off a year and give the parents dates at the beginning of the year. I dont have any other time off. Appointments are arranged around work.

patevans
30-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I was told today that I cant have time off for an operation :laughing: yet they can have time off and still send their children in and not collect any earlier :rolleyes:

helenlc
30-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Time off?? Are you serious?? :laughing:

How dare you even think about it!!!:laughing:

miffy
30-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I have just given my parents their newsletters and on it it gives details of two days that I will not be working. I have given over 6 weeks notice to my parents and yet some of them seem to have an issue with it. Do they seriously think that I am not going to take any time off?????

Just smile sweetly and ignore them - six weeks is plenty of notice!

Miffy xx

daisyboo1980
30-03-2010, 05:21 PM
wat time off
how silly off you ,
im getting hassled for dates of going on maternity leave im 20 weeks and have stated i'll be telling next week after my big scan
but they are gob smacked when i said i was actually taking maternity leave
we are not allowed lifes lol

auntym
30-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I had 4 wks last yr, this year im having 2 wks in august and 2 wks at xmas, not bad going i dont think!!! 8 months no break :( lol, BUT you still get the odd "erm oh right erm well that SHUD be fine" erm NOOOOOO its MORE than ok thankyou!!!!
ive also had in the past "well iv got no hols left" well you should have thought about that wen you went away 3 times abroad this year that I may actually want some time to ??? they really are very selfish sometimes, ive even had relatives of the parents say to me "oh god i dont know what they will do if you have two wks off and they cant get it off, they would just have to lose their jobs" im thinking erm what the hell???????

Ripeberry
30-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I know a CM who has not taken a holiday in the UK or abroad for 25 months! :eek: But she does have long weekends as she does not work on a Friday, but that is still a long time without a full week off :(

MarpleJollytots
30-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Havent you realised we are expected to be available 365 days a year :) :)

I once told a mum my holidays in February for the whole year, first one in May and she said its not convenient, I put my holidays in at work already. She had been with me for a couple of years, so knew how it all worked, but expected me for some reason to fit in with her

Thats correct!
your next day off is the 29th of feb 2012 (366 days that year)

Bushpig
30-03-2010, 05:42 PM
When I started childminding I always felt terrible re taking holidays... and I did get grief from a couple of parents - but I toughened up and take what i need now. I give loads of notice. For appts I try to arrange them after work but this is not always possible.

If they have decent notice they cannot complain, really!

auntym
30-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes i take all my appts after work, my docs surgery is fab, does an evening slot for working parents lol.
I did ask one parent two wks ago to be on time (only on time no earlier) as i had docs at 5, so needed to leave at 4.40, child finishes at 4.30, they turned up at 3.45 very unimpressed with me as had something planned and they were planning on being late without informing me so had to pick little one up early and take them to their appt with them instead :rolleyes:

LittleMissSparkles
30-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I was told today that I cant have time off for an operation :laughing: yet they can have time off and still send their children in and not collect any earlier :rolleyes:

who said you cant have time off ???? If it was a parent i would politely say I am self employed I take my time of to suit myself and my family if you dont like it do one lol well maybe not quite like that but you no what i mean x

LittleMissSparkles
30-03-2010, 05:55 PM
same as I replied to Fluffy Emma really you are self employed therefore as long as you give ample notice, i always give at the very least 4 weeks notice in writing, it is up to the parent to find alternative care if they are unable to have the time off from work etc, i always point this out to parents when they sign their contracts with me too. I have just had to book 2 thursday off to do my EYFAC as 2 weekdn courses i booked for feb and mar were cancelled al the last minute and after re arrangeing weekends etc and hubbys shifts so i could go wasnt imprtessed so now im booking the time off during my working week instead of my family time to do it, no one has questioned it though thank god as i would have politely asked them if they do courses on their weekends off etc

patevans
30-03-2010, 06:00 PM
who said you cant have time off ???? If it was a parent i would politely say I am self employed I take my time of to suit myself and my family if you dont like it do one lol well maybe not quite like that but you no what i mean x

she was joking and knows full well if I want time off I will have time off.....simples :laughing:

But when it comes to us having holidays they huff and puff :angry:

Bitsy Beans
30-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Honestly I don't know what you lot are complaining about. You get Saturday and Sunday off - what more do you want ;) :laughing:

PixiePetal
30-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I make sure at interview stage that parents know I do actually have a life and there may be odd days I take off. :thumbsup: Plenty of notice given of course if at all possible.

venus89
30-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Yes i take all my appts after work, my docs surgery is fab, does an evening slot for working parents lol.
I did ask one parent two wks ago to be on time (only on time no earlier) as i had docs at 5, so needed to leave at 4.40, child finishes at 4.30, they turned up at 3.45 very unimpressed with me as had something planned and they were planning on being late without informing me so had to pick little one up early and take them to their appt with them instead :rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: sorry but serves them right! And I apologise for my unprofessional attitude :blush: but it takes the P that she was planning to be late. Why not just talk to you?!

TheBTeam
30-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I have had some very shirty parents in the past, but the just recently we had to take a day off for our sons district football and have another two days booked in the easter holidays for it, but the parents this time to our face at least have been fine, i did offer to help find them alternative care. Noone so far has said they want it, i know one has approached my cm friend she knows direct so she is having her son, but the rest havent said very much, they had almost four weeks notice.

It also affects one family when it will only be their third week with us, but we told them at the outset and explained how we take 2 weeks in the summer and a week at christmas but will need ocassional days off and these may be beyond our control so therefore limited notice.

auntym
30-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes but still the fact remains there your hols and ample notice has been given, one set of parents i have take their holidays, dont go abroad but little one still comes to me.
I dont mind - its what i get paid for but dont understand why you wouldnt want to spend that time with them?
Football days out or going abroad, your entitled to time off even if its just because you need to recharge - ample notice is ample notice ;)