PDA

View Full Version : HELP what would you do?

Malark
30-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi, been reg a while but just started minding and got first kids yesterday. Little girl was poorly yesterday, her first day, with bad cold, bad cough generally miserable poor thing. Told mum when collected her, didnt seem to concerned. Has arrived today even worse, has not stopped crying ( obviously her first week so bound to be upset but can tell it illness ) and brother who i take to school told me she has been up all night being sick :eek: Mother never mentioned this but only said little girl hasnt slept for 2 nights. NOw i think she should be at home. Have tried to contact mother to no avail. Would you send her home ?

Mookins
30-03-2010, 08:25 AM
YES...poor lil thing:(
get in contact with the parents if anything say shes been sick and explain about your sickeness policy...sounds like the poor lil mite should be tucked up in her own bed

x x

marian
30-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Would def be phoning to collect or at the very least a little 'chat' on the phone:rolleyes:

Marian x

helenlc
30-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I would continue trying to contact Mum.

Explain that LO is not feeling very well and you believe she should be at home. Also say that her brother mentioned she had been sick last night and that she ought to have told you that. Explain again your sickness policy and the reason behind it.

You need to be firm with her now or she will always send her LOs to you when they are poorly.

It may be that she has just returned to work herself and is worried about having to take time off - but if you were to catch the sickness and be unable to work next week, then she would have to take even more time off work.

Be strong. Hope LO feels better soon.

Malark
30-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Mum has denied she was sick. Asked me to give her some medicine she has when she has bad chest. Little one so upset, its awful for her to be here when she so unwell when she doesnt know me properly yet. Mum says this is what she like when has cold and bad chest and its not contagious so its ok :eek: Not for the little girl :(

Pipsqueak
30-03-2010, 09:15 AM
If she is poorly to the point she is upset/distressed then she should be at home.
Its your call, don't let the parent dictate what you should be doing. You are not a nurse.

what medicine has mum asked you to give her?

Malark
30-03-2010, 09:22 AM
4 steroid tablets in a drink which she wont take. If i insist im going to frighten her and she wont want to comme back when she is well. Have contacted mum again and said she needs to stay at work and is 1 or 2 hours ok. I said no :eek: She is really distressed, wont let me comfort her. No one else can collect her.

SmartKids
30-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Have you got written permission to give her these steroid tablets - 4 is also a high dose - how long has she been on them - steroid tablets aren't given lightly - my daughter had a 5 day course due to an allergy - I would check why she has been prescribed them - it's normally once a day for children especially - maybe she has asthma?? I would find out. Good luck

Curly Quavers
30-03-2010, 10:00 AM
What a difficult position to be put in on your first week I do however think this parent to taking the :censored:

I know you probably think it is easy for us all to say she must be collected now but she really does. It is not you fault or problem mum has nobody to collect but at the end of the day this is her child.

I would also be inclined to say if you let her leave the child now she will never have any respect for your rules and think she can always just leaver her little girl with you regardless of illness.

Don't be a door mat - my question would also have been to her was are you calling your son i liar then?

LittleAcorns
30-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I think it is really unfair of the mum to put you in this situation and not make sure that either herdelf or a family member could come and collect .... how is it all going? ;)

helenlc
30-03-2010, 11:05 AM
The thing is, as lovely as you are and as much as you are trying to make this little girls first week with you pleasant and enjoyable, all she is going to remember is feeling poorly and sad at your house.:(

As you say, she is not letting you comfort her cos she doesnt really know you just yet.

I would call Mum back and say that if she has not collected LO in half an hour, you will be contacting her emergency contact to come and get LO.

As someone else said, it may sound easy us all saying Call her to come back, but its only cos we have learnt through experience.

Its unfortunate that this is happening in your first week but I think you need to be firm.

Hope LO is better soon.

Pipsqueak
30-03-2010, 11:21 AM
4 steroid tablets in a drink which she wont take. If i insist im going to frighten her and she wont want to comme back when she is well. Have contacted mum again and said she needs to stay at work and is 1 or 2 hours ok. I said no :eek: She is really distressed, wont let me comfort her. No one else can collect her.

Have you permission to administer these tablets?
Poor little bairn - she needs her mummy and to be at home.

As someone has already suggested - tell mum that you will be contacting the emergency contacts if she isn't with you asap.

Mookins
30-03-2010, 11:31 AM
unless i had written permission about this medication i wouldnt touch it... that poor lil lamb needs to be at home with her mum in her lil bed and her things around her

poor you for being in this situation but get that mother back to collect her lil girl:mad: she is taking advantage of you

x x x

Malark
30-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi, its only getting worse. I have permission to administer prescribed meds given to me by mum. She rang me at 10.45 saying would be half an hour. STILL NOT HERE. has text me apologising and saying she had to sort out paying me, because although payment was due on monday in advance of care, turned up yesterday and said could not pay. Will try to sort for thurs :eek: Should i say i am not happy with situation and terminate. only signed temp contract for this week until she sorted hours at work. Im so stressed about this :mad:

Malark
30-03-2010, 12:21 PM
She has now cried herself to sleep :( About the sickness thing she told me she was sick in daddy's car last night. They can't both be lying.

AliceK
30-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I would give mum a copy of my sickness policy and payment policy when she collects. Tell her you need the money dropped off today at some point (maybe daddy can bring it round after work)
If she is messing you around this early on and you do not put your foot down it will continue and doesn't bode well.

Good Luck. What a nightmare

xxxxx

Avon
30-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh the poor little one! Does mum realise what she has done!

Beckieboo
30-03-2010, 12:53 PM
No more advice to give! You must start though as you mean to go on, get payment today as otherwise you may not see it at all!! Good Luck!! Poor little thing!!

Minstrel
30-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Contact an emergency contact NOW!!!

MissTinkerbell
30-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Do you have contact details for 'daddy' at work? He may be more sympathetic and come and pick up. Mum may be worried about missing work having just gone back - I'd try daddy if mum hasn't come in the next half an hour.

This poor little one needs to be in her own bed. Remind parents of your sickness policy - you must be firm now otherwise they will continually think they can send her when she is so obviously poorly.

The Juggler
30-03-2010, 01:17 PM
god, those tablets taste absolutely awful it would be a nightmare for you to have to try to give it to her - I can still only just persaude my 10 year old to have them. They're usually only given when asthma/allergies are severe and shouldn't be given at the first sign of chestiness.

Poor you hon. hope she turns up soon. I think when she does you need to sit down and have a chat about this. These meds are only needed to be administered once per day so if they are needed, she should give them really unless in an emergency where little one is struggling for breath or having extreme allergic reaction (but then she'd probably be given an epipen but the docs).

Minstrel
30-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Any news? :(

Malark
30-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi all, how awful, can't believe i've had this in first week ! Mum arrived full of apologies. I told her how unhappy i was, that i was shocked at how long it had taken her to get here and that its totally unacceptable. The other contacts could not have picked her up! She got upset and said she was struggling getting back to work, has not worked since lo was born. She having trouble with benefits etc and said my money would be in bank thurs or tues. I wasnt even aware she was not paying me herself! Never indicated this when signing or anything. I really did tell her how unhappy i was and made her cry :blush: Didn't mean to obviously but she obviously felt guilty. The little girl woke up when mum arrived and screamed the place down so mum could see she shouldn't have been here. I said i will not have her tomorrow unless a remarkable improvement and will consider terminating if any further probs. All this and i have a 8 month old one myself who is teething. Miserable all round. What a :censored: day!!!

Pipsqueak
30-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi all, how awful, can't believe i've had this in first week ! Mum arrived full of apologies. I told her how unhappy i was, that i was shocked at how long it had taken her to get here and that its totally unacceptable. The other contacts could not have picked her up! She got upset and said she was struggling getting back to work, has not worked since lo was born. She having trouble with benefits etc and said my money would be in bank thurs or tues. I wasnt even aware she was not paying me herself! Never indicated this when signing or anything. I really did tell her how unhappy i was and made her cry :blush: Didn't mean to obviously but she obviously felt guilty. The little girl woke up when mum arrived and screamed the place down so mum could see she shouldn't have been here. I said i will not have her tomorrow unless a remarkable improvement and will consider terminating if any further probs. All this and i have a 8 month old one myself who is teething. Miserable all round. What a :censored: day!!!

Well done for telling mum but I think you really do need to sit down with her and go over a few things:

explain that you would not just send a child home or contact a parent willy nilly for minor things

all persons on the contacts list - inluding herself must be contactable - I would explain to her that in the event of a refusal to collect you are under obligation to note it as an 'incident' or even contact social services.

explain to her about your sickness policy and reiterate strongly that S&D must be reported to you and its 48hr exclusion period from the last bout of illness. this is to protect everyone involved - tell her that if you and yours go down with it it could be up to a week before you reopen leaving her with no childcare

explain about prompt payment.

MissTinkerbell
30-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Well done for telling mum but I think you really do need to sit down with her and go over a few things:

explain that you would not just send a child home or contact a parent willy nilly for minor things

all persons on the contacts list - inluding herself must be contactable - I would explain to her that in the event of a refusal to collect you are under obligation to note it as an 'incident' or even contact social services.

explain to her about your sickness policy and reiterate strongly that S&D must be reported to you and its 48hr exclusion period from the last bout of illness. this is to protect everyone involved - tell her that if you and yours go down with it it could be up to a week before you reopen leaving her with no childcare

explain about prompt payment.

Well put Pipsqueak..

You really need to sit down and have a chat when both of you are not so worked up about what has happened and make clear on arrangements for payment, sickness and making it clear that you are a business after all.

All of your emergency contacts NEED to be able to collect otherwise what is the point in having them?

Glad that you have got it sorted for now...

Curly Quavers
30-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Well done you for not backing down and getting your point across 10 out of 10 for you x

Malark
30-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and advice, will see what tomorrow brings :rolleyes:

Mookins
30-03-2010, 05:53 PM
bless your heart... that poor lil girl... you did the best thing for her and especially for you....well done

and with your lil one teethng too:eek:

think you now deserve a large Gand T and a pat on the back you coped really well

x x x