PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about becoming a childmider, few questions please help

luiza.t
29-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Hello Dear All

I am a NVQ2 qualified nursery assistant and I want to become a childminder now. I already have CRB, First Aid and Hygiene certificates, (less tahn 6 monts old) will I need to get these again?
My flat is spacious, clean and child friendly as I have a daughter but I am privatly renting an ex-authority flat, surrounded by council states, it does not look pretty on the outside, will this make a negative impact on my business, will I have to charge less? Do you think that parents will not pick me because of my location?
I am going to the first workshop on the end of April but I could not wait to have these answers :blush:

Pipsqueak
29-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum:)

You will definately need another CRB - currently they are not transferable between settings. Anyone over the age of 16 living on the premises will need one as well.

So long as your FA certificate/course is a 12hr paedatric one then it should be ok but it would be wise to just check this.

food hygiene is not mandatory and childminders have to register with the environmental health (although some areas do not implement this so again check) and you can get a pack called Safer Food Better Business for Childminders.

have you checked with your landlord that you can childmind from the premises?

Parents from all walks of life use childminders and many see past the superficial 'state' of a building. If someone turns their nose up at where you live (location) then would you want them as a client anyway?

Good luck

Tina O
29-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi, hope you get on okay with the childminding, but don't go dismissing your area, they may be your clients! and you charge what your services are worth not what your view is! take care xx:D

Emz
30-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I didn't need to re-do my crb check, mine was a few months old and ofsted said it was fine, you'll already be on their systems so it should go through no problems.

Get a letter of permission from your landlord, looks good for ofsted, but a verbal one is fine too.

Sounds like your well on your way. Don't worry about your surroundings, sell the inside and they will be your clients.

Good luck xxx