PDA

View Full Version : help with letter writing please

Lincsminder
29-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Our school is planning an after school club again!!! I want to write a letter to the governers explaining how this will have a negative effect on local childminders as it will be run by children lincs who as a charity charge very little for the session, so we can not compete on prices. I dont know what else to put except they will price us out and possible send some of us out of buisness by allowing such cheap competition. The trouble is the governers sit tonight and I need to get this letter done by 3pm so if any one has any ideas what else i can put in the letter I would be most greatful.
caroline

youarewhatyoueat
29-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Not much you can do really except offer something that they can't. If there is a need at the school then they should offer the club to those that want it.
If I was you I would offer that you can stay open till 6pm or later.
Parents should be offered a choice and lots of children prefer a childminder to a manic afterschool club. Children often once the novelty wears off ask to return to the childminder.
You may not be very popular if you object to an after school club opening, personally I would try to work with the school, get them to also promote you, as well as the club. Just my opinion though.

Hebs
29-03-2010, 11:58 AM
i think the government want all schools to offer an after school club, so unfortunatly there is nothing you can do :( :(

sorry x

Lincsminder
29-03-2010, 12:27 PM
the problem being they wont be able to return to the childminder because they would have put us all out of buisness just like a local nursery that opened a few years ago and charged such small fees everyone went there, then they are closing this month and no childminders are around for them to go to.

the school allready have a before school club for £1 a day and I have lost kids to that too.

Lincsminder
29-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Not much you can do really except offer something that they can't. If there is a need at the school then they should offer the club to those that want it.
If I was you I would offer that you can stay open till 6pm or later.
Parents should be offered a choice and lots of children prefer a childminder to a manic afterschool club. Children often once the novelty wears off ask to return to the childminder.
You may not be very popular if you object to an after school club opening, personally I would try to work with the school, get them to also promote you, as well as the club. Just my opinion though.

No mater what I offer I cant compete whaen they only charge about £3 a night and the holiday club is only £18 for 10 hours. Around here parents will go for the cheapest option.

sandy64
29-03-2010, 12:38 PM
hi our school has a club it never afected me as i thought it would i did actually get kids from there as some children dont like to be in a large group and parents like them to be able to chill out after school which isnt as easy in a club.since my schoolies have now gone on to secondary school i decided not to do schoolies any more. what i would sugest you do instead of trying to fight it which you proberley wouldnt win. is to see the head ask if you can advertise along side them go to pre school meetings give out your leaflets talk to parents give them a choice of childcare and put a notice on school board. i do understand why your worried we dont get many calls for lo under 5 any more.

louised
29-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I actually wish ours would do an after school club, I absolutely detest doing school runs but i'm too soft to give notice to my schoolies, they already have a breakfast club so I'm hoping they open an after school one too

lesley
29-03-2010, 12:56 PM
When our school opened one, I thought the same. But they didn't open the right hours for a lot of the parents.

Lesley