PDA

View Full Version : Bank holiday charges????

BlondeMoment
29-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi Childminders!

It's my first "bank holiday" as a childminder and I don't know what to charge for my school kids. I'm not planning to work the day but am told I should still charge because it's a statutory holiday. I charge two seperate fees depending if it's a school day or a non school day. So which do I charge for? Because obviously they're not at school, but it seems a bit mean to charge the bigger fee when they won't actually be with me.
What do you guys do?

Lisa x

Polly2
29-03-2010, 07:22 AM
I don't charge bank hols although I know some who do :)

wendywu
29-03-2010, 08:37 AM
If they are with you full time for the rest of the Easter hols then i would charge the full day rate.

If like on the May 3rd BH they go back to school on the Tuesday i would charge the school rate.

angeldelight
29-03-2010, 08:40 AM
I do not work it so do not charge it

I know lots that do though - I must be one of the stupid ones :laughing:

Angel xx

tracey36
29-03-2010, 08:42 AM
i dont work bank holidays so dont actually charge

Avon
29-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I would not charge either and haven't in the past when childminding before but have stated in the contract that if they need me that day, I need advance notice, at least time and a half pay and have the right to say no if I have plans.

Lincsminder
29-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I never worked them in the past but am prepared to do so this year. I dont charge if I am not open but i am working Friday so I am charging full fee even if they dont come and double for those that are.
Much to one mums annoyance who phone me this morning to tell me she woulnt be paying as it is concidered to be my holiday and she dont claim those days form tax credits. I told her I was working so she would have to pay me (she dosnt work on a friday but send kids to me anyway) and she does claim because when I worked out what her yearly fees would be for tax credit purposes I did 38 weeks at tern and 8 weeks school holidays (as I have 6 weeks off) so the bank holidays are allready paid for.

Minstrel
29-03-2010, 10:38 AM
What does your contract say?

BlondeMoment
29-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I have an NCMA contract that states I need paying for statutory holidays but I know it's down to me really. It would certainly be easier not to charge because like I say, we have two different fees depending whether it's a school day or non school day. Was thinking of maybe just charging a set bank holiday fee of some sort?

tas
29-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't work bank holidays but do charge for them and make this clear when signing contracts
I charge for contracted hours so for school children I would only charge for the before/after school hours as these are their main contracted hours

NaggyNat
29-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I charge for BHs but don't work them and all the parents expected this to be the case before I even mentioned it so I was lucky. I know all my childminder friends charge and dont work it....we all think along the lines of they get paid for their bank holidays so why shouldn't we! lol xx

babs
29-03-2010, 03:00 PM
i charge as the day is part of a normal working week if they dont come to me then they pay normal rates, if they do come its double time....

helenlc
29-03-2010, 07:50 PM
i charge as the day is part of a normal working week if they dont come to me then they pay normal rates, if they do come its double time....

Me too. If its one of their contracted days, then I charge.

I just started with a new LO last week and have given mum a copy of the contract so she knows I am to be paid Friday and Monday. Both of these are his contracted days.

angiemog
29-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I don't charge either cos I don't want to work. x

RachelE
29-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I dont charge as I dont want to work either. (yay, 4 day weekend!)
- one of my mums is a trainee nurse so will have to find alternative care, so I dont think it fair.

Rachel x

youarewhatyoueat
30-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I do term time only contracts and as bank holidays are not included in the term and I don't want to work I don't charge.
If you haven't mentioned bank holidays when signing the contract I don't think you should charge.
All charges should be made very clear to parents, which is why I have a fees sheet at the front of my parent pack and on it I give a review date of every 6 months so everyone knows where they stand at the beginning.

Donkey
30-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I charge 50% if they are not coming and it is a contracted day and double if they are coming as I am open.
If I close then I don't charge

that way I don't lose a full days pay but it puts them off sending the children if they are off themselves!

for schoolers if they are contracted to attend my setting on a monday (and friday in this case) during term time then the above I still apply0

hope ths helps!

haribo
30-03-2010, 10:24 AM
I charge 50% if they are not coming and it is a contracted day and double if they are coming as I am open.
If I close then I don't charge

that way I don't lose a full days pay but it puts them off sending the children if they are off themselves!

for schoolers if they are contracted to attend my setting on a monday (and friday in this case) during term time then the above I still apply0

hope ths helps!

i do exactly the same :thumbsup:

Tigertots
30-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I dont charge as most of my parents are teachers and I charge term time only. if they need me during hols they add the extra on for those days