PDA

View Full Version : confused bank holiday charges

disney
19-03-2008, 10:02 AM
ok i dont work bank holidays so i dont charge , but in contract it does state that i charge for good friday ( didnt no it was a bank holiday ) but have been told by a parent that it is & that she does not want to pay for it .

ok so i have told other parents that i dont want them to pay , as i felt that if one isnt none should but the other mums said they dont mind paying as their last minder charged all bank holidays & holidays :rolleyes: what iam i doing wronge and as the other ones are all paying for good friday . why do i feel like its not fair for the other parent not to pay x

Banana
19-03-2008, 10:05 AM
If its on your contract that good friday is payable and all other bank hols arent then they have signed to it so its too late to moan about it now

x

angeldelight
19-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I was the same did not know that Good Friday was a bank holiday - well I sort of knew that some people had the day off but thought it a bit like next Tuesday if you know what I mean

Confusion

So I have always worked it for normal fees

First time this year im not working it

I agree it is too late for a parent to moan about it now and I would make them pay

Good luck

Angel xx

sarah707
19-03-2008, 10:22 AM
If they are happy to pay, then let them I suppose... you could do it differently this time then sit down with parents between now and next bank holiday and thrash it out :D

miffy
19-03-2008, 10:25 AM
If it's in the contract and you want to charge it then do so

I think the parent has a cheek anyway trying to get out of it if she agreed to it in the first place

Miffy xx

Minnie Minx
19-03-2008, 10:27 AM
she's signed the contract and it's legally binding, so tough (for her). If your other parents want to pay then let them, don't forget that they will be getting paid for good friday and also nursery's charge so it's probably what they're used to doing.

xxx

disney
19-03-2008, 10:42 AM
the parents are all fine about paying , but one parent the question is not,why should she not pay when the others do . when i first started i was going to charge bank holiday . but this parent complained so i decided not to charge but i made a mistake as the other parents were happy to pay :(

as i have only been doing it since september im minding at a loss with expencess, but finding it hard to keep business ticking over for e.g if a had 1 parent pay me £50 a week i would need it every week , so when im short its hard any one else have this problem :) x

miffy
19-03-2008, 10:45 AM
What does it say in the parents contract ( the one who doesn't want to pay)?

If in the contract she has signed to say she agrees to pay bank hols then charge her

I know what you mean about it not being fair if the other parnts pay and this one doesn't but it is up to you to make the rules it's your business and I can't help thinking this parent is just trying to get away with it

Hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

disney
19-03-2008, 11:02 AM
:( miffy , her contract states that she should pay for good friday , but i opened my big mouth & said to her originally in conversasion that i did agree with her & that she was right that good friday was a bank holiday .
&i didnt realise it was , then i said i wasnt sure whether i should charge or not , this was last week & she said i dont mind paying any way . so i said i would let her know . on monday when she paid me the money was short , but no note or nothing why ( so im sure this is why )

sarah707
19-03-2008, 11:16 AM
if a had 1 parent pay me £50 a week i would need it every week , so when im short its hard any one else have this problem :) x

Yes it can be a problem - my income nearly halves in the summer holidays. I put away money when the going is good and it's there when times are tough.

As soon as you are in profit and you have got a years worth of figures so you can see the tough times, this is something you could think about doing :D

manjay
19-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I think it is really hard to get the balance right between keeping the parents happy and not letting them walk all over you. and if you are reliant on the income it makes it even harder.

I have been able to be really tough with my parents as I am lucky that my income is a bonus. Basically they do it my way or not at all which I know is not easy if the money is really important.

Hope you get it sorted and I would say that what has been signed for in the original contract is what goes!!

amanda xx

susi513
19-03-2008, 02:02 PM
If your contract says that Bank Holidays are free and there is a charge for Good Friday then its clear that there is a charge for Good Friday and ALL OTHER bank holidays are free. If she didn't like that she should have discussed it with you before signing.

I'd be sorely tempted to tell her as a gesture of will you're willing to split the difference and reduce it to 1/2 fees for Good Friday. But due to her comments you've taken time to give the whole matter of bank holidays serious thought. You've discussed it with your colleagues locally and across the country (thats us!) and tell her in future you're going to charge the same as your colleagues and present her with a contract to sign that states all bank holidays are chargeable from May Day onwards. LOL!

Tily Bud
20-03-2008, 07:39 PM
if the parent has signed the contract saying that she will pay for good friday then so she should !

miffy
20-03-2008, 07:52 PM
If she signed the contract agreeing to pay for good friday then she should pay - you will lose a lot of money if you have to let everyone else off paying too and that isn't fair. I think it's a real cheek that this parent just deducted the money anyway

Think Susi suggestion is a good one

I hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

Michelle M
21-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I think Susis suggestion is a good one. She should have discussed it with you before signing.

deeb66
22-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I also agree that she should pay for it.

Before they sign the contract I ensure that I make parents know that if there usual day falls on a bank holiday then they will have to pay for it.

When it comes to what I am and not paid for then I am quite strict.

emmadines
22-03-2008, 07:03 PM
well if you had the child/ren then deff pay it! if its in your contract! point it out then point out her siggy!!!

littlepixies
23-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I have in my contract that there will be an extra charge for bank holidays if your child is to come to me on this day.

i usually charge £4.0 ph normaly and for bank holidays i charge £6.0 whichis time and a half. If a parent books this day off as holiday i charge £3 an hr which is half of bank holiday pay. if they just call and say they are off and wont be sending child i still charge £6.0ph because im due to have the child and here to work not my fault they are choosing not to send child.

If the child doesnt usually atend on this day (bank holiday ) then there is no charge! because i wouldnt usually have them so why charge them for it.

that would be like saying "oh you need to pay me £20 for saturdays because im here to work but its your choice not to use my services."
so i only charge for the days im on their contract for working.

disney
23-03-2008, 10:42 AM
yes she is contracted to fridays & yes also signed the contract that stated i do charge for good friday , i think i was annoyed as not only did she not pay but she never even spoke to me about it just that my money was short . :(

have mentioned it was not all their she said she didnt want to pay for good friday , and any way she is going on holiday in april for 2 weeks and that she will have to pay me then when she is not their . i wanted to say :censored:
off but thought better of as 2 weeks with out her ( not the child ) mum

and 2 weeks pay i really need the money so i have let good friday payment go , but only this time :thumbsup: x

emmadines
23-03-2008, 03:20 PM
she's took the mickey out of you!

tinkerbell_85
25-03-2008, 10:35 AM
thats terrible, how can parents get away with it? make sure she gives u money when she goes away!!!

xxx