PDA

View Full Version : Accreditation?

Tatia
19-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Is anyone else here accredited to pull down nursery funding for delivering early learning curriculum?

I didn;t want to do it before because, under Foundation Stage curriculum, if you were accredited but did not have any children enrolled, then you couldn't receive any higher that a Satisfactory on your overall OFSTED.

But as that is changing under EYFS (because everyone is supposed to be planning and observing then) and because I have a mother who took her child out of nursery and sent him to me and wants me to provide his nursery education, I am now in the process of becoming accredited.

I'm still winding my way through the learning process, trying to make sure I'm doing it right. I've implemented medium-term planning and short-term planning and obs but have yet to do long-term planning. I am going to do that for the next term. I think long-term planning may become obsolete as it is nearly impossible to follow a plan written months in advance when you are supposed to be planning to meet the child's developing interests and skills. Even my 6 week medium-term planning went right out the window once I started observing and planning based on what the child was actually doing.

I guess it's good to have a future vision and be aware of upcoming festivals and celebrations and such. And also to make sure you are covering all areas of the learning goals, too.

Just interested to know if anyone else is doing it?

sarah707
19-03-2008, 10:28 AM
They don't offer it as an option in my area - and my inspector said that ought to be the next thing for my personal development... ho hum! :rolleyes:

I agree to an extent about long term planning - but things like planning for the seasons, festivals, family events, local stuff, outings to suit the time of year, National year of reading, commonly enjoyed children's themes etc will always be plannable and those can take up a heck of a lot of a week if you are also encouraging 50/50 child-led play, so I think it will always have it's place.

I know what you mean about it being redundant when you are following children's interests... but children do like a structure and they will ask, 'What are we doing today?' So a certain amoung of planning is always good to have in the background ready as well... I do a lot more 'on the hoof' planning nowadays as well - children enjoy sitting with me while I browse the internet to find ideas for them - involves them in the process as well :D

Tatia
19-03-2008, 10:42 AM
agree to an extent about long term planning - but things like planning for the seasons, festivals, family events, local stuff, outings to suit the time of year, National year of reading, commonly enjoyed children's themes etc will always be plannable and those can take up a heck of a lot of a week if you are also encouraging 50/50 child-led play, so I think it will always have it's place.

Yes and I think that's why my long-term planning is not going to be lesson plans per se but a calendar that takes all of what you mentioned above into account and has suggestions and ideas of ways to celebrate, activity and craft ideas, that sort of thing. With a little note next to it, showing which of the goals it will help fulfill. That's what I've started working on. I need to order your multi-cultural calendar, Sarah. Shoot, meant to do that last night. Think it will be a big help in planning.

Heaven Scent
19-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I woudl like to be accredited and feel that all childminders should earn the right to be if they reach a certain standard in their inspections as they will be doing the very same work as that of a nursery, playgroup or reception class teacher so I think if we have a certain level of training comply with all the requirements and keep up to date by attending regular training courses then it should by right be automatic - then we would have to do less running around to pre schools etc I know a good many parents send their children to them because it is free and they are entitled to it and they hope it will reduce their childminding bill.

I just don't think its fair that we have to make a separate application when we will all be doing the same work anyway.

And as I live in the same county as Sarah its not an option for me either. I regularly meant to ask you if you heard anything about this lately Sarah I did make enquiries about a year ago when I spoke to one of the development women for Macclesfield and Congleton - xxx and she was really quite short when she answered me - Its not available in Cheshire and that was that no discussion abouat when it might be available - I must say it was quite unlike xxx - what area are you under and have you ever come across her her photo was in that free magazine Childcare matters that they send out evey now and again.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Celine

sarah707
19-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Yes I have and as you say that's quite unusual from her... I just took out the name though Celine for confidentiality - I hope you understand.

She is generally quite chatty when I meet her in Booths or out shopping - maybe you caught her at a bad time.

I got quite a sniffy reply to accreditation though when I asked someone else - also to the scheme where one childminder supports another - i thought that might be an option for me to look into, but no!

I suppose things might change with time :D

avril
19-03-2008, 04:19 PM
There is one accredited childminder I know of in my area and she got outstanding for her ofsted inspection.
Don't know if want to do this yet having just finished my nvq3 I think I'll have a break!!
Avril x:)

teacake2
19-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi I have just put a post in networks about accreditation, It is widely available in my area of Staffordshire but very few are interested in it because of the extra work, but as I said and has been said all minders are going to have to do it soon and I think that it is only fair everyone is given a chance to become accredited if they want to.
Teacake2:thumbsup:

Tatia
20-03-2008, 07:47 AM
I think that it is only fair everyone is given a chance to become accredited if they want to.

So do I! They're expecting us to work to the same standards as everyone else when EYFS kicks in so we should be able to access the nursery funding, too. Besides, it's meant to be all about giving parents greater choice.