PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do for the best

28-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't know what to do for the best and was hoping that you guys could give me your advice/opinions on this.....

Usually (pre childminding) I used to take my kids to theme parks like Chessington and Legoland on school inset days as the parks tend to be quieter. However since childminding, inset days can be my most busiest and profitable days so I can't do this anymore.

My kids birthday is in May and falls on a Monday so I was thinking of taking them out of school for their birthday and taking them to Chessington. I must admit that I was going to tell the school a little white lie (our headmistress is strict) and say that we were going to visit family up north over the weekend and needed the monday to travel back :p Naughty i know :blush:

Anyway, I got the holiday request forms to fill in and it says in big capital letters that no holiday will be authorised for May and September!!!!!!!!!! So now I don't know what to do!!! I have already got the tickets with my tescos clubcard vouchers and don't want them to go to waste.

Two things that grind me with this is (1) the school is closing for a day in May for polling!!!! and (2) it is only for one day and I am not pulling them out at school any other time this year and yet I know some parents that are taking theirs for 2 week hols.

Ideas...opinions....advice :idea: ??????

Alibali
28-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Could they have a d&v bug?!

upadaisy
28-03-2010, 03:01 PM
hi

i took my daughter to disneyland paris for her 13th birthday she was out of school thursday and friday ..... i never said to the school i was going so .... if i were you say nothing

FussyElmo
28-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Well either you try and change your day out or say they were sick. However with the last option you have to take the risk of the dc telling the teacher of what they actually did. This happened to a friend of mine.

How old are your children the reason my school wont give holidays in May is because of sats. Could you nip in and ask if yours would be allowed this day :)

caz3007
28-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Its usually cos of SAT's, so if your children arent in the years doing SAT's I wouldnt worry.

Our new headmaster wont authorise any holidays at any time of year and this is Primary. We have to take all holiday unauthorised.

little chickee
28-03-2010, 03:41 PM
You do not need the schools permission to keep your kids off school. There is no legal obligation to send kids to school only to ensure that they receive an education so 1 day does not matter.

The school can say that they will not authourise the time off - thats fine it will just go down as unauthourised absence - no big deal.

I am taking my 3 boys out of school for 2 weeks in June - 1st time i have ever done it.

The holiday is booked and paid for and we ARE going - i will tell the 2 schools involved closer to the time and it will go down as unauthouriesd.

NO school can tell you that you cannot keep your kids of school for a few days regardless of what rules they have. Obviously parents use their common sense and dont take kids on holidays when they have exams etc.

Enjoy your day out.

Daftbat
28-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Speaking as a School Governor i would advise that you write to the head informing them of your situation and point out the fact that you do not normally do this and are requesting a one off. Our school does not normally allow holiday absences during May but in some situations this can be waived especially if the child concerned has a good attendance record anyway.

Schools DO have the right to refuse these requests but most heads do not like to do it. Unless a child has been offically identified as being "home schooled" by the educsation authority then children DO have to attend school - rather than just be educated as has been suggested. Children who regularly do not attend school, or take unauthorised absences on a regular basis will be reported to their local education authority by the school if their attendance falls below a certain percentage. They will then be investigated for truancy.

Tatjana
28-03-2010, 04:05 PM
School authorisation for time off is irrelevant. I didn't take my boys to school one day because of the snow...school said they wouldn't authorise it, they still stayed at home.:)

Enjoy your day out!:thumbsup:

xx

auntym
28-03-2010, 04:28 PM
GO!!! I was told by our schools head that they have the right to say yes or no but cant stop you doing it.??

Id explain the situation your in and that as a special family only day you are requesting a day out, if they have good attendance it shouldnt be a problem, if you were going on holiday would you cancel ur flights if they said no hahah would you eck lol xxxxx

~Chelle~
28-03-2010, 04:43 PM
My brother is getting married on a Friday in May, asked the school for permission for 2 days hols and they said no and it would be unauthorised - still going anyway!!!

I would say that they are both unwell and give them the day off anyway x

Chimps Childminding
28-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I am afraid I would lie :blush: If you ask and they say no, you can't really pretend they are ill on the day instead. I would just not say anything. I am sure the odd day won't hurt as long as it isn't when they have exams, sats etc.

My boys were never off during term time, and the one time I asked for them to have 2 weeks off as we were going away for our Silver Wedding Anniversary the head of year phoned up and said they wouldn't authorise it. Made me mad when I know some parents who take their children out of school EVERY year :angry:

SparklingGems
28-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I would just say its for a family wedding and you cant help when they have arranged their special date. Im taking my son out for 1 week in may and they authorised it no probs even though it says that may and sept they can refuse.

aly
28-03-2010, 09:53 PM
i would say its family wedding too.

:thumbsup:

The Juggler
29-03-2010, 06:27 AM
My kids birthday is in May and falls on a Monday so I was thinking of taking them out of school for their birthday and taking them to Chessington. I must admit that I was going to tell the school a little white lie (our headmistress is strict) and say that we were going to visit family up north over the weekend and needed the monday to travel back :p Naughty i know :blush:
Ideas...opinions....advice :idea: ??????

lol! i've done this. my ds son school was closed for polling last year so I took dd out of year 2 but it was in july after her SATS were finished.

Maybe May is SAT's time and Sept is obviously settling in but you're right it's Ok for them to close when they need:rolleyes: what about a sick day?:blush:

Twinkle
29-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I'd be straight with the school. Send a holiday request form in - if they won't authorise it - go anyway! When the kids return to school send a letter for the school records stating why they were off.

wendywu
29-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I would not even give it a second thought to be honest, i would just say they were sick.

Could it snow in May, and then the school would close :clapping:

angeldelight
29-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I would not even give it a second thought to be honest, i would just say they were sick.

Could it snow in May, and then the school would close :clapping:

Same here I would not give it a second thought either and would also say they were ill

Snow in May ? Would not surprise me anyway :laughing:

Just enjoy your day out

Angel xx

Avon
29-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I would just put holiday daya nd leave it at that, don't lie as you will be caught out esp when little one goes back to school excited about their day trip.

Sometimes a family day is more important than everything else, esp when you don't get to spend them together anymore. Take it unauthorised if need be, but please don't lie, it will make you look a fool when you are found out and the school may not trust you in the future on things that count.

My husband is away with his job a lot and sometimes it is just necessary to take a day together and have fun as a family. Its not often, but sometimes its needed.

LittleAcorns
29-03-2010, 09:21 AM
If it were me, I would go and tell the headmaster, just explain your predicament that you had every intention of booking it as an authorised holiday, it was just an oversite that holidays are authorised in May! :thumbsup: good luck with whatever you decide to do :D