PDA

View Full Version : caring fo children in reception class

sarahstanbridge
27-03-2010, 10:54 PM
i have just been sent this by a fellow childminder:

Ofsted have just released a document about Childminder numbers which has been updated to include information about children in the early years age group attending full time school. Previously Ofsted clarified that it was ok to count such children as over 5's (ie not in the Early Years age groups on your certificate) so if your certificate said you could have 3 under 5's you could also have a 4yo in full time school at the same time. The new guidance still says you can do this BUT you MUST request a variation for it

Caring for children aged four and five in full-time education
> If you care for children aged four and five who are in full-time education, either before or after school or in the school holidays, you may count them as older than the early years age group. This allows you to have extra children in the early years age group but no more than six children in total.
>
> You should write and ask us for a special condition on your certificate before the first time you do this. The condition allows you to increase the numbers of children in the early years age group by the number of children aged four and five in full-time education.
>
> Once you have this condition of registration you do not have to tell us about each time this happens.
>
> If it is your own child, a foster child or relative's child who is in full-time education then you do not have to have this condition. Instead you need to ask us to increase the number of children you may have in the early years age group. This is because other children you are responsible for, such as your own children, are not included in the number of children on your certificate. However, we do reduce the number you can care for as a childminder by the number of your own children or any other children you are responsible for such as foster children or grandchildren.

We have a form for you to complete to make sure you give us the right information. It is available at: http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Application-to-vary-or-remove-conditions-of-registration/

The full guidance is available to download from the Ofsted website - link below
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-The-numbers-and-ages-of-children-that-childminders-may-care-for

Pipsqueak
27-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Perhaps Ofsted need to pull their fingers out and get it out in the post to every minder in the country.

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like they are finally clarifying the whole confusing aspect.

My inspector done it for me during inspection so i have the info on my certificate already.:thumbsup:

auntym
27-03-2010, 11:40 PM
This is really terrible that they have not released this info to all childminders.

singlewiththree
28-03-2010, 07:10 AM
The thing is I asked to increase my numbers in my EY for my DD being at school and was told I didn't need it as I had the rising 5 statement.

I currently care for

1yr old mindee
2yr old mindee
3yr old daughter

4 yr old daughter at school
4 yr old mindee at school

miss mopple
28-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for this. I rang them last week as I have been asked to care for a 4yr old in full time school on the same days I have a variation to allow 4 under 5's. They said it was fine and they would send the a certificate with the wording about full time school reception children on it :thumbsup:

The Juggler
28-03-2010, 09:01 AM
thank you. will be good to be covered as I've done this at least 4 times now in September thinking it was OK.

francinejayne
28-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Gosh, I honestly thought I could look atfer a 4 yo com Sept when he starts school, as well as my 3 little ones. So glad you posted this, I shall contact Ofsted!
Thanks!

Chimps Childminding
28-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Gosh, I honestly thought I could look atfer a 4 yo com Sept when he starts school, as well as my 3 little ones. So glad you posted this, I shall contact Ofsted!
Thanks!

Same here, I thought they automatically moved up an age group when they started full time school!!!:eek:

So does that mean that if I want to fill the space the lo who goes to school in sept leaves (she will be coming befor/after school and holidays), I will have to get a variation as she will not be 5 until next may, even though she will be in full time school from sept???:confused:

francinejayne
28-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Same here, I thought they automatically moved up an age group when they started full time school!!!:eek:

So does that mean that if I want to fill the space the lo who goes to school in sept leaves (she will be coming befor/after school and holidays), I will have to get a variation as she will not be 5 until next may, even though she will be in full time school from sept???:confused:

I've looked at the info here...

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-The-numbers-and-ages-of-children-that-childminders-may-care-for

and it appears that we do have to apply in writing?

I'm going to, just to be on the safe side and then it's done. It is all very confusing though isn't it?

I also need to find out how long the 4 yo will be part time at school as that also confuses the matter!!! :panic:

Chimps Childminding
28-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I've looked at the info here...

and it appears that we do have to apply in writing?

I'm going to, just to be on the safe side and then it's done. It is all very confusing though isn't it?

I also need to find out how long the 4 yo will be part time at school as that also confuses the matter!!! :panic:

At the mo, I do not have anyone wanting the space, but I just assumed that once she was at school the space was available. Problem is that on the form you have to put all the children's names. At the mo I don't need the space, but if I do I will have to apply before I can take someone else on :angry: They don't make life easy for us do they :D

sandy64
28-03-2010, 02:17 PM
hi does any one no does this have to be a child we all ready mind or sibbling? or is it any new 4 yr olds?

louise
28-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi. i also got this. I'm going to phone as when i got my cert changed when ds was full time they increased my under 5s but also put this condition on
'when caring for 4 or 5 year old children who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education, providing the maxium number is not exceeded'
I wolnder if this is the condition

TheBTeam
28-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Lucky for me my rising 5 turns 5 tomorrow!:rolleyes:

Cazz
28-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Funnily enough, when my inspector was here on Tuesday I asked her to clarify that when my 4 year old mindee starts full time school in September, I can take on another Early Years child.

She said yes I can sort that for you now and put it onto her laptop and told me I would receive a new certificate with this on. She said that I still musn't exceed 5 under 8's (got my own 2 year old), it just means this child moves from the under 5's to the 5 - 8 age group.

I'm glad I mentioned it as I also thought you could just do it without informing them and getting a new certificate.

Rubybubbles
28-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for this. I rang them last week as I have been asked to care for a 4yr old in full time school on the same days I have a variation to allow 4 under 5's. They said it was fine and they would send the a certificate with the wording about full time school reception children on it :thumbsup:

Same here:thumbsup: quick and easy too, it came within 4 days of phoning.

ss1983
28-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi. i also got this. I'm going to phone as when i got my cert changed when ds was full time they increased my under 5s but also put this condition on
'when caring for 4 or 5 year old children who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education, providing the maxium number is not exceeded'
I wolnder if this is the condition

hi thats what my certificate says as my daughter was five begining if march and its says i can increase the numbers in early years by the number in full tim eschool so i have 2 under 5 now plus my boy whos 2, so thst 3 under 5 then my daughter who is 5

sarahstanbridge
28-03-2010, 10:01 PM
i have two mindees that this will effect in sept as both going into reception class!!

The Juggler
29-03-2010, 06:24 AM
i can't believe this, I've already been doing this for 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008. They were fine they just changed my dd out of my under 5 numbers (i.e. my cert changed to say I could have 3 under 5's instead of 2) in 2004 so I assumed it would be the same for the next time.

Now I find out its wrong:blush: my inspector didn't notice it either :angry: :angry: you never know where you are with these people.

littletreasures
29-03-2010, 08:11 AM
I've just phoned Ofsted to amend my certificate for September when one of my mindees will be starting full-time school.

Very nice young man on the phone, he put all the details through and said he would email it through to the relevant department and then apologised to say I would need to write to them.

Can do it by emailing them including Ofsted No, address, my date of birth for security reasons and then just say I want to have the Rising 5 variation added to the certificate. I will then get a confirmation email and have a new certificate sent out. So we shall see what happens.

Email address is enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

LLR
30-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I have just had my certificate amended after a general enquiry but now I'm confused about what to do if they start school half days only in September initially. Has anybody else had confirmation on this? I would presume as long as they are at school then it would be ok because come holiday time they won't be there at all!

Louise
x

Mouse
30-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I have just had my certificate amended after a general enquiry but now I'm confused about what to do if they start school half days only in September initially. Has anybody else had confirmation on this? I would presume as long as they are at school then it would be ok because come holiday time they won't be there at all!

Louise
x

I would double check with Ofsted, but as far as I know children don't count as being in the older age group until they are attending a full 10 sessions a week. If they're only doing part-time school, they will still count as being in the EY age group until they go full time.

Leannetrim
30-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I just rang Ofsted and asked them to put it on my certificate to which they did, they didn't ask me for any names of the children my new certificate was with me with in a week

cuffleygirl
30-04-2010, 12:05 PM
That's the area where I get confused - I thought it only applied to 4 year olds in full time education not those doing part days. This is what my inspector and certificate says .. may increase number of 4-5 year old children by the number in FULL TIME education. (certificate not showing cap letters!)

Hebs
30-04-2010, 12:15 PM
the samew condition was put on my cert when i got my last variation, was very quick and easy to do :thumbsup:

sarahstanbridge
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Louise
x
they have to be in full time school to be classed as rising 5

Zoomie
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I wont need to worry about the rising 4's in fulltime education until Sept 2011.

Think I will ask for the 'clause' to be inserted if I need to get my cert amended anytime in the interim.

Chimps Childminding
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
June rang ofsted last week as we both have mindees starting school in September. She was told that we are to write/email them in August to request a "Condition for Rising 5's" to be added to our certificates. Why can't they just do it now?????????????? otherwise they will be inundated come August and the certificates won't be through in time :angry: