PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Parent terminating contract

adedwards68
27-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi
I'm fairly new to childminding, but have come across a problem. I have been minding a little girl for a few weeks, her mum phoned me Tues morning and said that she couldn't afford to bring her to me anymore. She had been doing temp work (I didn't know this when I took her on) and apparently has got a new job but has got to wait 6-8 weeks for a CRB check. She said that she knows she supposed to give 4 weeks notice but hasn't got the money.
It took me by surprise, and I don't particularly like discussing things over the phone.
I then wrote her letter explaining that the contract she signed states 4 weeks notice and that the termination would need to be put in writing. I offered to let her pay the owed money (4 weeks notice and 3 days of childcare) over a number of weeks. I sent it recorded and I know she received it on Wednesday.
I haven't heard anything from her yet.
How long should I give her to respond?
When should I contact NCMA as I am a member and used their contracts.
I now know that I should take money in advance but know if a parent is only just starting a job they haven't always got the money upfront.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

youarewhatyoueat
27-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Is she going to be using you when she starts her new job??

miffy
27-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Poor you, that's not a very nice way to start your childminding career!

I think NCMA will advise that you put the invoice in writing (which you've done) and then you have to give her time to respond.

I'd give them a ring on Monday to check.

Did your contracts include a settling in period? This is on the front of the contract and usually means either party can terminate the contract within the first 4 weeks without having to give notice. It doesn't mean she needn't pay you for the work you've already done.

Good luck

Miffy xx

angeldelight
27-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Poor you, that's not a very nice way to start your childminding career!

I think NCMA will advise that you put the invoice in writing (which you've done) and then you have to give her time to respond.

I'd give them a ring on Monday to check.

Did your contracts include a settling in period? This is on the front of the contract and usually means either party can terminate the contract within the first 4 weeks without having to give notice. It doesn't mean she needn't pay you for the work you've already done.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Good advice from Miffy

I always take the money up front now even if they are starting a new job - I find that they always find the money if they need it

If she does owe you this money its not your problem if she can not afford it she knew what she was getting into when she signed contracts

Good luck hope you get it sorted - keep us posted

Angel xx

caz3007
27-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I had a young mum who suddenly lost her job and couldnt afford the 4 weeks notice, but we had a chat face to face and he came back to me once she found another one. I did make it clear that if another child came along then I would take that one one. They have been back with me since January and all going well.

Perhaps you ought to invite this mum round for a cuppa and a chat to see what her long term plans are

Curly Quavers
27-03-2010, 10:42 AM
how many is a few weeks? - in my contracts I and parents are able to terminate contract with no notice within the first 4 weeks. Has she gone over this period?

upadaisy
27-03-2010, 10:48 AM
hi there,

how long did you have the wee girl....

if less than 4 weeks ..... notice does not have to be given by either parent or childminder

if mums gets help with tax credits then she can still claim the four weeks notice

just keep yourself right by letting inland revenue know she has left
(date ended and monies owning) and get a signed termination form from her

put all down in a letter

adedwards68
27-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all your advice.
To be honest I don't know if she is coming back if and when she gets the job.
We had a 4 week settling in period which ended the previous Friday. I feel that perhaps if she had read the contract and listened more when we were filling in out she would have known this.
I feel now that she is a bit untrustworthy and not sure if I would want to mind for her again.
It almost seems that contracts aren't worth the paper there written on.

Lady Haha
27-03-2010, 01:19 PM
To be honest I would just chase her for the three days childcare you have already done and forget the notice period money in this case. The settling in period has only just finished and if she hasn't got that much money then she can't pay especially if she is out of work now. You are more likely to get the money for the work you actually did as it's probably a more manageable amount.

I know this isn't ideal, but at least you will make sure you get paid in advance in future and you may get something from her, even if it's not much!

auntym
27-03-2010, 01:27 PM
i think working tax credits are a law unto themselves, i had a dad lost his job and rang wtc to advise and they stopped his childcare allowance immediatley, he asked why and how he was suppose to go to job interviews with no childcare and the 4 wks notice period, the they told him the 4 wks notice payment was an agreement he made which dosnt have to be honoured by them!!!

Mollymop
27-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I hope everthing works out for you. Don't feel concerned that all parents are like this as I have never had many issues in my 2 years over owing money so you might be having just a bad client issue which is unlucky in your first few months of minding, hun.

Good luck getting your money as you deserve it!:mad: x