PDA

View Full Version : do you charge for mindees sickness

candy cat
26-03-2010, 07:23 PM
HI had a lady come to see me......moving to area etc straight away stated that she will not pay for hols,sickness of her child. I explained that in my policies it is full fee as I can't fill space.....she said tough and all she kept saying was that it is a tough world out there!! Then said she didn't want a contract for a few months....She then looked at my daughter and said her lo is far more advanced!!:angry:

Anyway, she said she would be intouch,but I couldn't work with her at all!
lesson learnt though as I now realise to toughen up and be assertive!!

I have only done a few interviews so all a bit new to it.

Do you all charge for mindees sickness???

patevans
26-03-2010, 07:25 PM
HI had a lady come to see me......moving to area etc straight away stated that she will not pay for hols,sickness of her child. I explained that in my policies it is full fee as I can't fill space.....she said tough and all she kept saying was that it is a tough world out there!! Then said she didn't want a contract for a few months....She then looked at my daughter and said her lo is far more advanced!!:angry:

Anyway, she said she would be intouch,but I couldn't work with her at all!
lesson learnt though as I now realise to toughen up and be assertive!!

I have only done a few interviews so all a bit new to it.

Do you all charge for mindees sickness???

Yes as I am still available for work and the place is being held open.

babs
26-03-2010, 07:25 PM
yes i charge for sickness just dont charge if im off sick... after all its not ur fault they r ill.... stick to your policys.. charge for holidays too.

mama2three
26-03-2010, 07:28 PM
i cant think of one minder who doesnt charge. otherwise it would just be an excuse for not paying.the only exception to this might be if a child was to be off for a while for an operation or something , i might try to be a bit more flexible. anyone who made those demands of me would be shown the door and wished well in her search..

funemnx
26-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Golly what a tough lady!!! ALWAYS charge for a child's sickness and their holidays! If they're contracted, they have to pay. I have had parents who aren't used to how we work try this but those are the rules (and they are fair)

Ripeberry
26-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Tell her to take a hike. It's your business your rules. She would be a nightmare to work for and how DARE she come into your home and speak to you like that! :angry:
You really don't need a parent like that :(
Hope someone who 'clicks' with you comes along soon.
And another thing, she insults your child :eek: :censored:

Mookins
26-03-2010, 07:34 PM
bloomin cheek give her a poke in the eye:idea:

must be a day of rudness some people!

x x

candy cat
26-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks all ....all she kept saying was she had a deal with old childminder....and I now feel confident that I am not backing down!!! She can go elsewhere cx

Tam's Tribe
26-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Sounds like you had a lucky escape there . . . I charge for parent/child holiday and sickness . . . been in the corporate world for too many years and seen lots and lots and lots of parents pulling sickies and using their children for days off work and I am certainly not going to be out of pocket when I get up and am ready for work at 7am after planning outings and activities while parents pulling sickies.

haribo
26-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I charge for childs sickness -think every minder does (or should)she was probably trying it on. i wouldnt work with her noooo way especially after saying that about the children :angry:

angeldelight
26-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks all ....all she kept saying was she had a deal with old childminder....and I now feel confident that I am not backing down!!! She can go elsewhere cx

I agree

Get out whilst you can she sounds a nightmare

Angel xx

jelly15
26-03-2010, 11:18 PM
She sounds a right bully :eek: . I think I would have told her there and then, " I am sorry but I won't be offering you a place for your Lo as you obviously won't agree to my terms. You need to find someone else", if she can, don't know anyone who would.

ORKSIE
26-03-2010, 11:26 PM
If Child or parent are ill I still charge full rate.

Dont go there, she sounds like a nightmare, wait till you get a mum who understands our contracts and policies:thumbsup:

She obviously dosn't:panic:

upadaisy
26-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Tell her to take a hike. It's your business your rules. She would be a nightmare to work for and how DARE she come into your home and speak to you like that! :angry:
You really don't need a parent like that :(
Hope someone who 'clicks' with you comes along soon.
And another thing, she insults your child :eek: :censored:

here here ...... well said ripeberry

how dare she .....
have pleasure in telling her " SORRY I WON'T BE TAKING YOU ON MY BOOKS "
you pull the strings not her .......:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
LOL ...... XXX

Pipsqueak
26-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I would be telling her - if she did get back to me:

my business is far more advanced that what you are will to accept. We do not have a deal. Bye

Bushpig
27-03-2010, 08:47 AM
What a nasty piece of work :( When she goes to see other CMs she will see it's standard practice to charge for holidays and sickness of her child.

youarewhatyoueat
27-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Oh I do hope she comes back to you and asks for you to take her on, you can take great pleasure in telling her no thanks. Even better if she then has to grovel as no one else will touch her with a barge pole. There are some really nasty people about you don't need her.

If you do take her on and she refuses to sign etc make sure you charge £8 per hour and all money in advance!!

mama2three
27-03-2010, 08:51 AM
i would get back to her first and say that you will not be willing to offer a place. dont have her thinking youre waiting for a call and shes doing you a favour!

Tatjana
27-03-2010, 09:14 AM
She won't be paying for hols or sickness :laughing: that's because she won't find a cm who'll take her on with her demands.

As for her comment about your daughter:censored: i would have told her to leave after that, SO rude.

xx

candy cat
27-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I will keep you all posted if she calls :laughing: :laughing:

birch24
27-03-2010, 09:21 PM
What an annoying woman tell her to take a running jump.
How dare she talk to you like that.
I would be surprised if she gets a childminder or any sort of childcare that would be able to offer her what she wants.
I think you may have had a lucky escape.:D

Avon
27-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh my :eek: I could never work with someone like that! Blimey! How rude!
Also, its YOUR business and you set the rules and if there is any negotiation on prices to be had you will be part of that discussion and not be told what is happening!

As for the comment about your daughter, well, I think I may have even asked her to leave at this point. :angry:

tas
27-03-2010, 11:51 PM
What a horrible woman! :angry:
Stick to your policies and tell her to go elsewhere

bandlady
28-03-2010, 06:38 AM
The only time I don't charge is if I am not available to work. Mindees sick and holiday time is full rate.

I would not be able to work with someone who came into my house and told me how to run my business. If she gets back in touch I would just tell her you do not have any vacancies. Minding for someone like this would be an on going battle over money.

Bitsy Beans
28-03-2010, 08:33 AM
If she rings just point out that it is a tough world out there and she's just going to have to suck the fact that anyone involved in providing childcare is going to charge for holidays and sickness.

If she had a deal with her old childminder why isn't she still with her old childminder? Hmmmmm given the boot perhaps due to unreasonable demands? Or is she bluffing and no such deal existed. Besides can she not appreciate that a deal with a different business is NOT transferrable :rolleyes:

And working without a contract..........so much about your meeting sounds dogdy to me. Honestly the stories on here beggar belief sometimes - how rude can people be :eek:

Like everyone else I do charge for sickness and hols. If I am available to work then I expect to get paid.

Erika
29-03-2010, 07:57 PM
It's YOUR business, you set the rules, not her. You can't have one policy for one and another policy for another; if the other parents found out about it, I can see them not being very happy.

She's right, it is a tough old world, but I'm afraid this one's too bad for her. If my child is sick, it isn't the childminder's fault and I don't see why her income should take a hammering for it. In the same context, if my childminder can't open owing to her sickness, I don't pay her because it isn't my fault her service is unavailable, and I don't see why I should pay for a service I can't use that particular day through no fault of mine/my child's, as well as lose income because I'm unable to work that day. That's a "deal", and one that works both ways for parent and childminder, not one way like what this woman appears to be expecting of you. Toss the coin the other side. If you expected her to pay you when your service was closed as well as when her child was sick, she wouldn't be very accepting of that, would she, because it wouldn't be a "deal", it would be a one way street.

Going by what you said in your OP I think you would likely have a lot of problems if you took this one on. She'll have her tail between the legs when she discovers that most childminders charge for a child's sick days, she'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't charge. Stick to your guns.