PDA

View Full Version : pre reg childminder doing the wright think?

selena 31
26-03-2010, 03:40 PM
hi there ofsted rang to say coming next week to look round house for pre reg still woundering if doing wright thing?
were do we found out if any call for childminder in area if they are busy or not there are 3 in my area and see them with children at school
I currently work in a outstanding nursery as nursery nurse doing my foundation degree in early years and woundering will i be doing the right thing to give it up? I have 3 children , 4,6 and 11 and am fed up with falling out over not being able to go to assembelies at school and i dont get to take them in a morning and my youngest is due to start full time in september and want to be able to take her . I love my job so this was the only option i could think of doing the same proffesion but being there for my own lol and making a difference to a child life! but do you make much money and wounder if its the wright thing to do! Help! hubby says do what you feel is right so not much help from him!:

Bitsy Beans
28-03-2010, 09:10 AM
The only think I can ask is if you want to go to school assemblies will you still be able to attend with X number of mindees in tow?? OK you will be at home so more available to your children and be able to do the school drop off and pickup.

As for money. No I don't earn a fortune but I have two children of my own taking up 2 of the 4 spaces I am registered for and they are both under 5. But I knew I wouldn't make lots of money doing this - that's not the motivation though. I loved playing and doing things with my own children and this was a way to tap into that (and be a different challenge to my previous job which was brain dead boring) as well as being at home with my kids.

Sadly though your H is right - it's what will make you happy. It's hard work, the responsibility is all on your shoulders re planning and development (not sure how that works in a nursery sorry :o) and if you are ill you don't get paid. But on the other hand it can be enormous fun and in your own home. All I wish I had was a playroom so the rest of the house didn't always look like a creche ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Avon
28-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I have been fortunate to be a SAHM for most of my marriage, its been a financial struggle at times (like this month!) and the only thing I have really done for money during this time is childminding (but gave up 8 years ago just before the birth of my 3rd daughter - I now have 4) and I wouldnt have it any other way, I have been able to do half the things I do for my children.

Now all of mine are in fulltime ed (youngest daughter is 5 and in reception), I am looking to childminding again! I am also looking at the local nursery (will be 9.15 to 11.45) so I can actually get qualifications in what I truly love doing - looking after children! I would offer 'wrap around care'.

I need the money, its what I enjoy and I know there is a call for them in my area (lots of military families).

As for you, its your choice, like being a nurse I really think being a childminder is a vocation! Lots of work but not too much financial reward! I know for an NVQ you are supposed to di a certain amount of hours with a certain amount of children, will this have an effect on your foundation degree?

As for the best place to find out if there is a call for childminders in the area? Ask the other childminders! They will have had enquiries from parents if there is a need.

Best of luck with your decisions!

green puppy
28-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Hello,
Part of the reason I became a childminder was to be at home for my dd after school and in holidays. I don't always manage to make assemblies due to some being in the afternoons during mindees nap times, but I have taken mindees along before for morning ones. I am currently doing my nvq 3 and have signed up to do the foundation degree in a few months when nvq is finished. I think you need to work out how many spaces you would have available, considering the ages of your own children and how much space you have. Next get in touch with your local family information service and see if they can give you an idea of demand in your area and prices charged. This will help you work out if financially it could be viable. Childminders are also able to get funding towards courses so it's worth checking with your local authority regarding the foundation degree. Why don't you start the registration process as this can take awhile, you can stop it if you decide it's not for you. Good luck with what you decide.

Heaven Scent
28-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I gave up a teaching job which was eating way too much into my family life to do this and have not looked back (my husband has though because he cant stand all the toys, prams etc round the house & garage etc).

I in real terms I haven't made that much money because of all the reaources etc I've had to buy because I had nothing at all really but I'm hoping to make some money in the next year or so - I do get by but I work hard to do so.

My daughter was still in primary school when I started and was able to take mindees to lots of things that went on in her school. I've also taken them to meetings at the secondary school. I just pack lots of things to keep them busy and thats it.

I don't think I'd like to do anything else. I too worked in nurseries in the past and when I lost almost all my mindees last year I could fall back on that experience and went temping through an agency which worked out quit well.

Good luck with whatever you do.

youarewhatyoueat
28-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I would finish the degree first and then see how you feel. being a childminder with 4 children does not mean I get to do everything with my own, if anything it has become really hard to juggle everyone being happy. The best I could recommend you do is to finish the degree, and perhaps go part time in the nursery while you register.
Have you considered doing part time in the nursery and then babysitting/ night nannying when the children are in bed.