PDA

View Full Version : Child with glasses - resources help

dobby
26-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi all
One of the children I have looked after since she was a baby has been diagnosed as long sighted and needs to wear glasses all the time. She is ok about it at the moment but Mum is concerned she might not wear them if she gets teased etc. She is three and a half and a lovely but sensitive little thing.

Can anyone recommend a good book or other resource that I could buy/recommend to mum to help her continue to feel happy about wearing her glasses? i am going to try and make a pair for her favourite dolly here for monday when I next see her :)

SimplyLucy
26-03-2010, 02:19 PM
My son has worn glasses since the age of 14 months. If your mindee's eye sight is anything like my son's then she'll put her glasses on and love them because she'll be able to see a whole new world!

At the age of 3 and half all her pre-school/nursery friends (if she goes) will be having their starting school eye tests done and no doubt one or two of them will get glasses too.

My son has never had another child mention his glasses, kids just don't seem to notice things like that these days.

Oh and build a bear workshop sell fantastic glasses for teddys/dolls, about £3.

Chell
26-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Could you just take the lenses out of some cheap sunglasses to make them for her doll?

The Child's Play books that I stock have images of children with a disability, some show a child wearing glasses.

mama2three
26-03-2010, 03:38 PM
my middle son had them from about 18 months and until the age of 8 had no teasing whatsoever , and as others have said was reluctant to ever take them off , even in the bath as he couldnt see! A primary teacher used to make him take them off for pe , until i went in and put her in her place , but it was only then that other children started teasing him ..mainly about the squint that looked awful when not corrected by glasses. he has had contact lenses since he was 8.
Im sure your mindee will appreciate her dolls having glasses etc , but ime parents will make a bigger deal out of it than she will.

Mouse
26-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Two of my sons wore them from young & they were never teased. I think children at that age just accept it more & so many children wear glasses these days that it seems quite normal. Glasses are so funky as well, not like the plastic NHS ones from when I was young, and are seen as quite a fashion accessory! I know children who have been upset because they don't have to wear glasses :laughing:

I wouldn't make too big a thing about it or she might start to feel there should be an issue with wearing them. Little glasses for a dolly are a nice idea, but I wouldn't go into too much stuff unless it does become a problem.

angeldelight
26-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree with everyone else I would not make a big thing out of this

Some good book ideas here

http://www.wordpool.co.uk/ccb/glasses.htm

Also some good ideas here in the parent and teacher section

http://www.eyedidntknowthat.info/?pageLoc=/healthy-vision/resources_parents&index=1

Some of the above ideas may be for a older child but will give you a general idea

Angel xx

pumpkinsmum
26-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Two of my sons wore them from young & they were never teased. I think children at that age just accept it more & so many children wear glasses these days that it seems quite normal. Glasses are so funky as well, not like the plastic NHS ones from when I was young, and are seen as quite a fashion accessory! I know children who have been upset because they don't have to wear glasses :laughing:

I wouldn't make too big a thing about it or she might start to feel there should be an issue with wearing them. Little glasses for a dolly are a nice idea, but I wouldn't go into too much stuff unless it does become a problem.

I agree completely, My son has worn glasses for 18 months now and hasn't been teased once (he's 3) he is fab with them, because he can see so well with them there is no way he wouldn't wear them. He also has to wear a patch for a few hours a day. They have funky little designs on them and children are always asking where their mum's can get them from! And there was I, sooooo worried about him wearing one in public!

dobby
26-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I am hoping she will be fine, I just wanted to be prepared in case there were any issues, rather than be searching at the time iykwim :)

youarewhatyoueat
27-03-2010, 09:11 AM
At my sons school there are several children who asked to have their eyes tested so they could wear glasses as you can get scooby do glasses and the other kids wanted them.
I wouldn't make an issue out of something that isn't an issue to the child but sounds like its more of an issue to the mum.

miffy
27-03-2010, 09:13 AM
On this site there are some paper dolls to dress up that wear glasses

http://www.makingfriends.com/f_Friends.htm

Miffy xx

Cammie Doodle
27-03-2010, 12:10 PM
On this site there are some paper dolls to dress up that wear glasses

http://www.makingfriends.com/f_Friends.htm

Miffy xx

These are lovely dolls