PDA

View Full Version : 48 hour rule there for a very good reason.

little chickee
26-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Following on from recent threads regarding sickness bugs the primary school in the next villiage to me ( thankfully not the one my boys go to ) has had to close down due to a d & v bug rampaging through the school.

To date there are over 160 kids down with it and half the teachers.

Maybe if the 48 hour rule had been strictly adhered to it would not have been so bad.

So all of you feeling bad for excluding kids when parents say they are better - dont because this can be the result!!

mama2three
26-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Q was sick yesterday on the way back from nursery ( all over the doorstep , lovely)and has been absolutely fine since and ive got to say if i didnt know all about the exclusions through working in childcare i would say he was fine for school.
many parents dont know about the exclusion period , certainly ive never been told by school . Others are actually trying to do their best for their family by going to work , not everyone gets paid time off , and few employers are sympathetic to parents taking time off. So child seems better , back they go. And the bugs keep passing round.
Maybe a little more education would see the broader changes throughout society that are needed if things like this are to stop happening.

sarah707
26-03-2010, 08:34 AM
A parent (a very good parent) actually said to me the other day he is looking forward to his little one being in school full time because they say 24 hours for d & V and he is fed up of my 48 hour rule!! :rolleyes:

I have shown him the guidance I follow etc but to a busy working parent it's often seen as a wasted day off isn't it? :(

manjay
26-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Q was sick yesterday on the way back from nursery ( all over the doorstep , lovely)and has been absolutely fine since and ive got to say if i didnt know all about the exclusions through working in childcare i would say he was fine for school.
many parents dont know about the exclusion period , certainly ive never been told by school . Others are actually trying to do their best for their family by going to work , not everyone gets paid time off , and few employers are sympathetic to parents taking time off. So child seems better , back they go. And the bugs keep passing round.
Maybe a little more education would see the broader changes throughout society that are needed if things like this are to stop happening.

I have to agree. My eldest is nearly 18 and not once have i ever had any guidelines from school on how long the children should be kept off. In my pre childminding days I too would have sent a child back to school if they appeared fine:rolleyes:

singlewiththree
26-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Unless a parent actually asks the school like I did, I knew I had a 48hr rule but didn't know if they did. A lot of our children walk to school by themselves or get dropped off so how would they police it, wait for the register and then say "oh no Joe you were off yesterday with sickness go and sick in the entrance hall while we phone your parent to collect you as you need another 24hrs!" They tend to just keep them in.

Our school is currently going through the sick bug that hasn't really left since last term!!!! We have caught it again. In my DD's class there are a good 1/3 of the class off and its the same in most classes. Does anyone know how many there has to be off before they have to close and if there is any legal requirement to provide soap in the toilets as there often isn't any or hand gel?

marian
26-03-2010, 09:41 AM
When mum came to pick up LO yesterday she had her older daughter with her.
mum was not happy because she had had to collect her from school 10 mins after she had dropped her off.
It appears that the girl had vomited at lunchtime on wednesday so was obviously sent home, but mum reckons she was fine the next day - less than 24hrs after event so sent her:rolleyes:
Mum seemed suprised that there was a 24 hr exclusion - I said only 24 hr??
Mine is 48!!!! oh is it ? I didn't know she said - I did give you a copy of my sickness policy??
Oh yeah - its probably been recycled she replys :panic:

Will be putting another one in her bag today!:laughing:

Marian x

cuffleygirl
26-03-2010, 02:06 PM
48 hours symptom free - that's from the last bout not from when they started being sick!

We had environmental health at our local school last Friday due to the size of the outbreak - it didn't close as it could be thoroughly cleaned at the weekend all parents were sent a letter home reiterating the 48 hour rule and on Monday morning notices on every door saying if your child had symtoms at any time on Saturday then they must not attend school today (Monday), absenteeism lower Monday and Tuesday, up on Wednesday as people ignored the notice and now the bug has taken hold again.

I had a parent of a preschool ask me if I would have her on Thursday - I'd sent her home Wednesday with the runs - I explained what was happening at school, reminded her of my policy that she had signed to which she replies yes but she is fine now!

Zoomie
26-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Well my whole household has had the bug, and I personally think the 48 hour rule has not been enough.

I got it abt 40 hours after DS2 has stopped his symptoms.

DD got it 56 hours after I had my last episode. DD's then lasted till the 5th day, though she seemed perfectly fine all time, except for one episide on each of days 2-5.

In the meantime DS1 got it and was fine for 50 hours and then started again.

Now we seem to be in the grips of colds / fevers and DD has been running a fever for 3 days now :( . My fever started last night :(

marian
26-03-2010, 02:44 PM
When ever there is a D&V outbreak at my DS's school they come home with a letter 'reminding' us that they have the 48hr rule:thumbsup:

Marian x

JJAY
27-03-2010, 01:26 PM
When ever there is a D&V outbreak at my DS's school they come home with a letter 'reminding' us that they have the 48hr rule:thumbsup:

Marian x

I wish all schools would do that.

patevans
27-03-2010, 01:28 PM
A parent (a very good parent) actually said to me the other day he is looking forward to his little one being in school full time because they say 24 hours for d & V and he is fed up of my 48 hour rule!! :rolleyes:

I have shown him the guidance I follow etc but to a busy working parent it's often seen as a wasted day off isn't it? :(

The school my mindee goes to says 24 hours and I say 48 :rolleyes:

MarpleJollytots
27-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Do they not consider its there to protect their child aswell ? Do they want their child catching a nasty bug from a child because their parents are too selfish to think of others.My policy is 48 hours from the LAST time they were sick not the first.Some do it from the first.All my mindees are very little as me and Mike work together,2 babies and a 1.5 yr old.When they are that young bugs can cause real problems cant they.Got to be so carefull.

Mollymop
27-03-2010, 02:30 PM
48 hours all the way! I wish all schools would act like that! :)

FussyElmo
27-03-2010, 02:40 PM
A child at our school was sent home from school D and V and the next day mum brought him back in and argued the case that he was well. They even had to change the child it was that bad. Ranted and raved the mum did that the child was better and it was a stupid rule and that she would decide when he would return.

The funniest thing was the mum was a teacher :eek: and when queried said her school had the 48 hour rule but that was different :rolleyes:

But saying that my school also is very big on attendence and if you miss so many days you get a letter saying they will report you and I have known several mums say that they didnt dare not to send the child in even though they were unwell because they were scared of being reported.

mama2three
27-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Id be surpirised if any of the parents know that the child should be avoiding swimming for 2 weeks after a bout of d&v. I certainly didnt til i got the hpa poster.

Avon
27-03-2010, 04:19 PM
*scribbling notes down for sickness policy!* I am learning soooo much on this site! Love it!