PDA

View Full Version : New Parent coming

melissakate
25-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Please help !
I have a new parent coming tommorow with a three month old baby. The other children i look after are friends children, SO THIS IS MY FIRST REAL PARENT. Does anybody have any advice on what to ask or tell them. Should i have some toys out or should we just cuddle her.
Please help Melissa

babs
25-03-2010, 08:56 PM
i had new parent come to me yesterday with a 3 month old baby .. i put out baby bouncer , mobile on a mat few toys sat on floor and played with her for a bit while asking mum questions , hours, days, temporary or long term contract,siblings, pets,breast or bottle fed,Health/Development Issues, use a comforter / dummy, how do u settle, are just a few i asked ... signed up starts june ...

so good luck...

helenlc
25-03-2010, 09:26 PM
When they come in, I show them through to the front room and gesture for them to sit down. I ask them if they want a hot or cold drink. If they say yes, I hand them my Portfolio then leave the room to make the drink. If they dont want a drink, I just hand over my Portfolio saying Here is my Portfolio, it tells you a bit about me and what we do.

I would have out some of the equipment you will need to look after a young baby (if you have it) ie bouncer, maybe a blanket/babymat laid on the floor, some rattles/young toys. I would ask to hold the baby if they are awake. Parents like the fact that you want to hold the baby.

I also have out a folder (ring binder) with forms in. I keep this on my dining table so its out of sight from parents but easily accessible. This means if a parent says they want to sign there and then, I can go to my folder and pull out contract, permissions, About me, and Personal Details forms to fill in.

Think of any questions you want to ask. With such a young baby, ask about how often they sleep/feed, what things comfort them ie singing, cuddling, what their plans are for weaning and how they would like you to help with this.

Keep calm and be yourself. There's no point being something you're not at this meeting - it will be hard to keep it up if they sign.

I had a Mum come this week who loved my Portfolio and my house etc. But she said she had seen what was most important and that was that her 10 mth old was happy and comfortable with me.

Good luck:thumbsup: