PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed - new childminder

mojo0403
25-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi All

have not been on here for a while. I was registered in November, left my job in January and its only til now that I have some mindees starting.

They are siblings 4 years & 8 month old
hours mon, tues, weds 8.30 am - 3.00pm (4 year old will be at nursery between 9 - 12.30pm)

starting 6th April

I have two children of my own; 7 years (8 on 19th May), & 3 year old.

Thats fantastic, can't wait to start, brilliant hours too, so really looking forward to getting started etc.

Now for my dilema :panic:

Had a phone call for another potential mindee - 11 months old (1 year on 30th June):panic:
wants to start 24th May
mon, tues & fri 9.45am - 3.15pm

this is going to make me over my numbers & have spoken to my chilminding co-ordinator who suggested I speak to ofsted for a variation as its only til september when 4 year old starts full time education.
Ofsted are sending me a form to fill in for 4 under 5.

Has anybody done this before?
Will I be taking on too much straight away?

dont want to turn work away but doubting myself that ill be unable to cope with 2 lo's.
plus will need a 7 seater car, 2 highchairs etc etc which costs money.

the mother & father are visiting me monday afternoon so its not set in stone yet they may turn round & say they dont want me to take care of their child.

What would you do, I know your not me but just would like your input from you lovely people. :)

thanks for reading, hope it makes sense.

Jo x

karen m
25-03-2010, 09:00 PM
i would fill in variation form and that way if ofsted say yes and you feel you could cope all well if they say no you will just have to explain to potential parents

hop04
25-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi, ive just started child minding and have my own 7 month old and a 13 month old mindee. I wont lie to you it is tough having 2 Lo's as both want and need alot of attention and times like lunch are difficult as neither can feed themselves yet (im desperatly encouraging my mindee to do this himself!) and so is school time when i pick up my son. getting two none walkers into car then in a buggy then back in the car and then back in the house is a HUGE task!!!
I was completely down hearted at first and thought i had made a big mistake but a few weeks in i am getting into a routinue and enjoying it. With both being young they have 2 sleeps each in the day and i try and time it so they go together so i can prep and have a cuppa:) also now my lo is sitting unaided she can sit with us more and join in and i really do think they will be best buddies.
Maybe sit down and write down a list of equipment you will need - i have a highchair and brought a booster for my mindee as 2 h/chairs would take up so much room!, car seats, double buggy etc and see how much you may need to pay out first. At least toys can be shared.
As for the car could you not use public transport for the days you are busy??
Maybe you could do a period of a trial say a month so either party could change their mind if it wasnt working??
Good luck. I hope you get sorted soon.
Donna x

Kes
25-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Variation is worth a try but just to warn you they don't usually give you one for new business its usually only for continuity of care. No harm in asking though.

mojo0403
25-03-2010, 10:17 PM
i would fill in variation form and that way if ofsted say yes and you feel you could cope all well if they say no you will just have to explain to potential parents

Hi Karen

Thats what I think I'll do, get this form filled in and see what ofsted say.

thanks

mojo0403
25-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi, ive just started child minding and have my own 7 month old and a 13 month old mindee. I wont lie to you it is tough having 2 Lo's as both want and need alot of attention and times like lunch are difficult as neither can feed themselves yet (im desperatly encouraging my mindee to do this himself!) and so is school time when i pick up my son. getting two none walkers into car then in a buggy then back in the car and then back in the house is a HUGE task!!!
I was completely down hearted at first and thought i had made a big mistake but a few weeks in i am getting into a routinue and enjoying it. With both being young they have 2 sleeps each in the day and i try and time it so they go together so i can prep and have a cuppa:) also now my lo is sitting unaided she can sit with us more and join in and i really do think they will be best buddies.
Maybe sit down and write down a list of equipment you will need - i have a highchair and brought a booster for my mindee as 2 h/chairs would take up so much room!, car seats, double buggy etc and see how much you may need to pay out first. At least toys can be shared.
As for the car could you not use public transport for the days you are busy??
Maybe you could do a period of a trial say a month so either party could change their mind if it wasnt working??
Good luck. I hope you get sorted soon.
Donna x

Thanks Donna for taking the time in replying to my dilema.

The advise you have given me has been really useful.

I'm going to first see what ofsted say, see if they will give me a variation and in the meantime still meet the parents and lo on monday afternoon and explain that I have had to apply for this variation because of my numbers.

I walk to school anyway so thats not a problem with the car its just on outtings that I would struggle. We have a few parks in walking distance too so that would be ok.

We will see what happens, :)

thankyou x

hop04
26-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Goodluck and let us know how you get on x:thumbsup:

mojo0403
27-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi

Just to let you know, I had a long hard think & have decided not to go ahead and fill this variation form. Dont want to run before I can walk & take too much on at the beginning.
So rang lady yesterday & told her unfortunately because of my numbers I wont be able to accomodate her lo.

Had another enquiry today too! (they are turning up like buses!) lady not had baby yet due 10th June and wants me to look after him/her end of July so will only be 6 weeks. Told her I only have spaces left on a thursday & fri and she is ok with this. Have told her to get in touch nearer the time, maybe after lo is born. Said I can take a deposit after baby is born to secure place.

So will await to hear from her.

Speak to everyone soon x

Mollymop
27-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Good luck hun, hope it goes well x