PDA

View Full Version : Selective Mutism

NaggyNat
25-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi, I am a newbie and am taking on my first children on Monday 29th....pretty scared to be honest and hope I am prepared!!!

Does anyone have look after a child with selective mutism?

I am so pleased I joined this site....I think I will find it so helpful!!!

Natalie x

chewy sweets
25-03-2010, 10:06 PM
I do. What kind of info are you after. Does the child your going to be looking after have it? In my experience don't put any pressure on the child as it just makes it worse. Can be very difficult though and frustrating when you don't get any response. How old is the child??? If you want anym more advice pm me. :thumbsup:

chewy sweets
25-03-2010, 10:11 PM
some info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism

Only a quick summary really but it may help.

Hebs
25-03-2010, 10:16 PM
sorry no advice as my kids are complete opposites :rolleyes: :panic: :blush: :laughing:

good luck x

youarewhatyoueat
26-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Try not to worry and don't presume he will have selective mutism with you as thats the point its selective.
Its a shame they told you as you now seem a bit anxious. It may surprise you that he will communicate in a variety of ways and you will soon understand what he wants.
I look after a child who hasn't spoken to me in over a year but the other day did, its fab when they do but his care has been just the same as other children, don't worry.
Good luck for first day xx

NaggyNat
26-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone! J is 5 years old and is starting with me on Monday. Mum hasn't had a chance to bring her round to meet me but she is on Saturday (tomorrow) so looking forward to that. I'm not worried about it really, I was just concerned for her really. I'm sure it will be fine....I think it was just a bit daunting because she is my first mindee lol!!!

Will let you know how I get on!!!

Loving this site already xxx

Carpet Monkeys
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi There

I've only just seen your post, my DS has Selective Mutism, if you need any help etc, please do shout, I can recommend a couple of books and give some ideas of what we've used with my DS to get you started if you would like.