PDA

View Full Version : Help, New to Childmining

helengreen13
25-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I have only just started Childminding and only have 2 boys on my books for Holidays. I have had an enquiry from a lady who wants me to look after her 9month old baby girl, starting September for 3 days a week. This is totally ideal for me and dont want to scare her off (she is visiting me tomorrow). I charge £3 per hour and have said that i would give her a term time contact only and dont want her to pay for holidays. I was thinking of charging a retainer of 25% of her weekly fees, term-time only, until September to keep her place open. Is that too much, or not enought, dont want to be greedy but need to make some money. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Helen x

tess1981
25-03-2010, 04:06 PM
retainer fees are normally 50% because they might then decide not to take it and you could have filled it. I charge full fee for my holidays as we only have limited spaces. maybe you can use this idea... she pays for the contracted hours she books so if she decides not to go to work and you dont have child you still get you full wage. i have charged parents on a pay as u go system and found i didnt have the chils many days as granny wanted them (to save them money) and it a space i could not fill as such short notice so i was out of pocket...
hope this helps and good luck:jump for joy:

Pipsqueak
25-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Be careful about offering rates to tempt people in. You could end up in a situation that is not feasible for you.

£3 ph sounds very cheap - where are you in the country?
I would go with half the retainer rate or a hefty non refundable deposit.

don't sell yourself short.

singlewiththree
25-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I normally would charge a deposit of the first two weeks fees which is refundable on the first month paid. However, if you can't financially wait then you could do the 25% retainer for the term time months.

Have you checked your local area for rates as £3 is cheap however I work for that as my hourly rate is £3.50 but a daily rate of £30.

jelly15
25-03-2010, 04:38 PM
My fees are the same as singlewith hree and I think I could be asking more. Sept is still a fair way off so I think 25% is not a bad idea if you don't feel comfortable asking for 50%.

helengreen13
26-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all your answers. I charge £3 per hour as that is what all the other childminders charge around here. I think i will charge the 25% retainer fee, dont think she is going to be too happy but have to think of myself as well. I think i will get more confident as i get more children on my books, its always hard to get yourself established. OMG they will be here in 45 minutes to discuss policies and procedures, feel really nervous.

helengreen13
26-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I normally would charge a deposit of the first two weeks fees which is refundable on the first month paid. However, if you can't financially wait then you could do the 25% retainer for the term time months.

Have you checked your local area for rates as £3 is cheap however I work for that as my hourly rate is £3.50 but a daily rate of £30.

Thanks £3 is the going rate in Lincoln

Blue Boy
26-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Firstly welcome to childminding and the forum, you will have great fun on here and will pick up lots of useful info to help you.

We charge a 1 week retainer.

Love
Mick xx

mama2three
26-03-2010, 04:51 PM
how did it go?

Fabby
26-03-2010, 06:13 PM
yeah how did it go ?

hop04
26-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Hope all went ok :)

helengreen13
26-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi, think it went ok, She was not happy about the retainer but I stuck to my guns. Will have to wait and see if she contact me now. She stayed about an our but I did find making conversation difficult. I have her a copy of all policies and procedures for her to take home and read. I asked her lots of questions about her child and likes/dislikes etc. but its hard as her child is only 3 months. Will let you all know if i get a booking!!!
:)

angeldelight
26-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi, think it went ok, She was not happy about the retainer but I stuck to my guns. Will have to wait and see if she contact me now. She stayed about an our but I did find making conversation difficult. I have her a copy of all policies and procedures for her to take home and read. I asked her lots of questions about her child and likes/dislikes etc. but its hard as her child is only 3 months. Will let you all know if i get a booking!!!
:)

Glad you stuck to your guns you often find parents are not happy but she will find that most minders are the same about deposit / retainer

Hope she gets back to you

Good luck

Angel xx