PDA

View Full Version : Networks

katickles
18-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi - just wanted to know how many of you are part of a network. I'm just in the process of all the paperwork at the moment, will soon hav it done though........ i hope!! :)

Monkey1
18-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I am....still wondering why i bother!!!! Bromley this aint!

Teresa
18-03-2008, 08:45 PM
been thinking about it but not looked into yet

mjw
18-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I am in the surrey network and they are great. We have really good speakers for our training and work closely together with other network childminders.We have good support and monitoring. You certainly feel part of the group.
Mary

sarah707
18-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I am but I've got diddly squat out of it so far except i HAD to do NCMA quality first which was a bit of a chore :(

deeb66
18-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I am in the surrey network and they are great. We have really good speakers for our training and work closely together with other network childminders.We have good support and monitoring. You certainly feel part of the group.
Mary

I think Mary has pretty much said what I would have said.

We have a good time meeting up at Play sessions and training sessions don't we Mary :thumbsup:

miffy
18-03-2008, 09:19 PM
No couldn't get on one :(

Miffy xx

manjay
18-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I have just had my initial paperwork this week to join. Just now have to find the time to complete it!

amanda xx

Twinkles
18-03-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm glad you asked this. I've been wondering about this too. Is it worth it? What do you get out of it - except even more paperwork. I have a great group of friends ( oh yeah and wendywu ) who are all minders so I have good support. I just don't know if it's worth the extra hassle ?

Tily Bud
18-03-2008, 10:32 PM
im not part of a network just my local childminding group :D

Delly
18-03-2008, 10:47 PM
the n/w co-ordinator is coming round to see me next week, to go through the process.

Tatia
19-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I am. I love the network coordinators, and enjoy their visits when they come to see me. They are very helpful about information, passing on bits and pieces. The trainings are helpful, too (like the EYFS observatin one we did). But to be honest, there's a group of people who make network meetings very uncomfortable for everyone else, cos they're so "perfect". Makes it hard to share good practice when they feel their's is the only way. So a small group of us have decided to start getting together to share paperwork and ideas - our own mini network.

I've gotten some work from it, doing temporary community minding, when the council paid for it so had to use a network minder.

Kelly
19-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I am on a network and love it, we meet up all the time and there is great support from other childminders and co-ordinators, we get loads of additional training. Worth all the extra effort/paperwork in my opinion.

Tomorrow our co-ordinator has arranged for all the children to go to pizza express to make pizzas and have lunch, at no cost to any of us, so really looking forward to it.

Kelly

ma7ie
19-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I am in a network and find it really good. The paperwork side of joining wasn't a problem because my network co-ordinator did most of it and asked me questions on the rest. I've had some really nice stuff from it - multicultural box, music box, fleece, a fab fabric weather chart and I've had a lot of enquiries through it (although not had anybody come to me through it yet)

There are quite a lot of childminders on the network but not many get involved in it.

There was a meeting last night to discuss planning of the childminding playgroup and only 4 people turned up, which was a shame because a buffet had been laid on and loads of food was left. I'm sure the network co-ordinator must get frustrated.

There was also a trip to Eureka recently, paid for by the network.

katickles
19-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm glad you asked this. I've been wondering about this too. Is it worth it? What do you get out of it - except even more paperwork. I have a great group of friends ( oh yeah and wendywu ) who are all minders so I have good support. I just don't know if it's worth the extra hassle ?

So far what i have got out of it has been fantastic - my network co-ordinator has been great, really really helpfull. She's helped me with some tricky points, arranged some training that i wanted to do & doesn't push me on deadlines to compleate the paperwork. I have to say - i'm a paperwork freak so as soon as she leaves, that night i'm cracking on with it! I would recommend it even if its just for the support you get. I have also met some great minders at the childminders group, again even more support. :)

Michelle M
19-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I am in the process of joining mine, the network co-orinator is coming to assess how I am with the children I mind :)

Michelle xx

teacake2
19-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I am in a network and I have gone that bit further and become an accredited childminder, this means that I can offer the same free sessions to parents that nurseries and pre-schools offer. This means quite a bit extra paper work, but as we will all have to be doing planning etc in the future more minders could possibly consider it. To obtain the funding from Early Years is no hassle, just a couple of simple forms to fill in and you get paid for almost a whole term in advance. You have to show that you (at the moment) are doing the planning and observations to the standards needed, and this is done by the network co-ordinator during their visits, this is usually every six weeks.

I enjoy the network as we have a drop-in session that we can go to and surestart provide transport for this if necessary, and we have lots of get togethers and a few weekends away.

Teacake2:laughing: :laughing:

buildingblocks
19-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I would think it may all depend on how good your network and its coordinator is. I was on a network but left.