PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty - please reassure me I've done the right thing...

MissTinkerbell
25-03-2010, 08:26 AM
....even though I know that I have.

My little 19 month old mindee was sick twice on Tuesday night. Mum phoned yesterday to say that he wouldn't be here yesterday and that she would let me know about today in the morning. I said that it would be 48 hours exclusion in terms of my policy. She said that she didn't think it was a virus (I know she's medically trained but even so...) despite the fact that dad was at home with diarrhoea and had been complaining of sickness on the Monday.

Anyway mum rang this morning to say that L was fine and had not been sick anymore and therefore could he come back today. I said I'd rather not as my policy stated 48 hours since the last bout of sickness. She reitterated that she didn't think it was a virus. I said that it wasn't fair on the other children because she couldn't be sure and that I didn't want him back until tomorrow morning. I also said that it was one mindee's last day today and they are moving at the weekend and the last thing they would want is the D&Vs.

Mum didn't seem impressed but agreed not to bring him until tomorrow - I would have thought that mum would have understood because she works in various hospitals around the area and surely they have the 48 hour rule too.

I just feel guilty now because all my other mindees and my own children are at school all day today (the only day they are) and I feel as though I'm getting paid for doing nothing all day and I don't want her to think that I've only said 'no' because I wanted a day off when I've actually done it for the other children.

I guess I'm just being silly but I can't hep feeling guilty about not agreeing to have him today - despite the fact that have been numerous times my oewn children have been sick and I've had to keep them off school for 48 hours and they've actually seemed fine.

TheBTeam
25-03-2010, 08:30 AM
No you have done the right thing!

miffy
25-03-2010, 08:32 AM
You've done the right thing!!!!!!! :)

Your policies are there for a reason and mum agreed to them all when she decided to place her child with you............

Just because she's medically trained it doesn't mean that she can override your rules.

Well done for standing your ground, it's not easy when faced with a parent telling you their child is fine!

Miffy xx

green puppy
25-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Don't feel guilty, you have policies to follow for a reason and she has signed a contract to agree to follow them. If the parents have chosen to bring there children when yours were unwell thats up to them, you yourself still had to follow school policy regarding exclusion.

jelly15
25-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I would have done the same, Tink

lynnslittleuns
25-03-2010, 09:04 AM
You definately did the right thing and have no reason to feel guilty. I understand where you are coming from though because i'm a big softy too lol.
Enjoy the bit of time that you have to yourself, you deserve it.
Lynn xxx

solly
25-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Dont feel guilty you have done the right thing, also if you getnit you will not be able to work so loss of income plus she would have to take time off to look after LO. I have had many parents over the years trying to make me feel guilty

The Juggler
25-03-2010, 09:46 AM
you should not feel guilty. enjoy the free time.

ORKSIE
25-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Mum would be moaning even more if you catch it and then cant have her LO for another 48 hrs:rolleyes:

You did right:thumbsup:

cuffleygirl
25-03-2010, 02:04 PM
You did right - Mum was wrong to put you in the position 48 hours is 48 hours for the reason to trying to control its spread its people who ignore the 48 hours that cause the bug to continue going round!

It's annoyed me this week, I've seen so many on facebook saying 'so tired been up all night as lo is sick' and then seen them going into school - sorry but I've dobbed them in it!

Also it is 48 hours symptom free not 48 hours from being sick!

MissTinkerbell
25-03-2010, 02:18 PM
The bit that got me was mum saying that she didn't think it was a virus because daddy had the diarrhoea and a temp but LO had only been sick twice - her theory being it was what he'd had for dinner the night before! Although Tuesday he was very tetchy and everytime anyone went near him he cried and certainly wasn't himself.

I thought about this yesterday and thought back to when we all had the sickness bug before. Hubby had the D&Vs; I had just the sickness for 5 hours; DS had sickness for 3 hours or so; DD2 had sickness for 2 days and DD1 was sick once; so I don't know how she could say that it wasn't a virus just because LO had different symptoms to his dad.

berkschick
25-03-2010, 02:27 PM
One of my little ones has been off all week with it because she was sick Friday, then again Monday and then again last night with 48 hours between sickness bouts so its there for a reason!