PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who have just become registered

Fabby
24-03-2010, 08:58 PM
i need your advise!!!! Please??

What have you done with your mindees on theirs and your first day/week?

I am just doing my planning and I am stuck all ready!!!!! BOOOOO!!

XXX

Chell
24-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I only have a little boy for three hours and started on 8th March. I've not really made any plans, just got to know him and found out his interests.

We did a Mother's Day card and have done painting, play dough, printing with paint, baking, etc. I've just gone with the flow so far. For example we saw some frogs in the pond at the park the other day. The next day we got out the speckled frogs teaching mitt and spent some time singing and counting with that. I've just found some frog printables to use in the next day or two.

I thought I needed to do more but my development worker gave me the impression I didn't have to do too much. She said not to make planning hard work after all we make daily/weekly plans in our diary/life that we follow and these aren't complicated!

I do want to start getting something on paper so I have evidence when I get the dreaded OFSTED inspection in a few months. :eek:

angeldelight
26-03-2010, 11:20 AM
i need your advise!!!! Please??

What have you done with your mindees on theirs and your first day/week?

I am just doing my planning and I am stuck all ready!!!!! BOOOOO!!

XXX

Dont panic

Why dont you just go with the flow and get to know the children first

Let them settle in and get to know you and each other

Get to know their likes / dislikes then use this information for your planning

Go with the flow and enjoy the first few weeks with each other

Have fun and enjoy

Angel xxx

Ripeberry
26-03-2010, 11:27 AM
First get yourself a good diary and write what you are thinking of doing that day, if things don't work out, for example you wanted to go to the park but it rained, then cross it off in the diary and put something next to it "went to softplay instead".
It can take at least 4-6 weeks to get to know a child's interests and in that time it's best to go with the flow, see what they like doing and just enhance it the next time.
And especially with under 2s, everything is mainly child lead anyway :thumbsup:

mama2three
26-03-2010, 11:27 AM
i would only be planning to get to know mindee. and possibly to put out a toy or do an activity that parents have told you they enjoy.( maybe you know they like puzzles / dolls/ painting whatever) beyond that you cant really plan for the child until you get to know them!
in the future it will be different as you will have group planning even where one of the mindees is new , but at the moment i would just write across your planning sheet'getting to know each other and exploring the setting'

Fabby
26-03-2010, 11:36 AM
awwww thanks for your advise all of you. That is really good to know, it is not as bad as i am thinking. I thought i would have to do loads of planning because ofsted will look at this when they come to inspect me in the next 6 months. I have a diary and will use it the way you have advised me to then i will start doing my weekly/monthly planning sheets in a few weeks time. :-)

manjay
26-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Absolutely use the time to get to know your mindee. Why waste your time planning for example messy play and then realise your mindee has a phobia of getting dirty:D . Some things you can pick up on in the first few days other likes and dislike may take weeks to get to know. Just go with the flow and let the child lead.

NaggyNat
26-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I have my first starting on MOnday and am so scared lol! I am planning on getting to know them and interests etc before I start planning. I figure I can't plan activities when I dont know them. OMG I am scared lol!

mojo0403
26-03-2010, 02:47 PM
This has been a useful post for me too, thank you for the advise.

I too have siblings start with me on the 6th April and its all daunting as its all new. I will just go with the flow and getting to know them etc as will be going away on holiday on the 20th so those few weeks will be perfect in settling in.

Good luck Antpop hope it goes well for you and sorry for butting in :blush:

Jo x

Blue Boy
26-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Totally agree, just take the time to get to know each other:thumbsup:

Love
Mick xx

Dont panic

Why dont you just go with the flow and get to know the children first

Let them settle in and get to know you and each other

Get to know their likes / dislikes then use this information for your planning

Go with the flow and enjoy the first few weeks with each other