PDA

View Full Version : My first day

hollyoaksmad
24-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I feel like i want to cry right now i dnt know if it has all got 2 much for me as its my first day or what the parent said to me.

I have only done a few hours and i found it very hard to work out the payment. im unsure if they pay for what time they arrive or when parent leave . is it a dif amount each week or do i have set amounts?

Mum is french and hard 2 understand
so the mum said to me am i sure im ready to be a childminder? i sed what do you mean? i said yes i am! she said need to get muscles as i struggled to carrry the carier i duno if im being sensitive :(

also when mum was here nappys needed to be changed and i was not sure if it was me or her who had to do it i felt awqward as im shy infront ov ppl

i just feel weird like i wanna give up already any one else been like that

Minstrel
24-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I charge as per the contract. If they arrive early or collect late then i tag the extra on also. I charge from/to when the doorbell rings.

I suspect the first day has been overwhelming for you and its very normal to wonder if you have done the right thing. You say communication with the parent is difficult so i would take everything with a pinch of salt - lost in translation as they say!

Nappies i usually do whilst they are still here- figured i'm getting paid so why not!

It will get easier ipromise and soon your confidence will come. Give yoursef a pat on the back - you survived your first day as a CM!!

Now go get yourself a glass of wine!

sarah707
24-03-2010, 06:13 PM
It's hard when parents are watching you... even now after all these years I find that tough!

I change nappies if the child is with me, unless the parent volunteers. I use my normal techniques to settle the child especially if they try to roll to go to parents... it might take me longer but they see me being calm and unhurried and I think that is important.

Don't get so troubled about money. Re-read the contract as charge as agreed there. Work it out before the parent comes so you are clear in your head what you are saying.

It will get easier, just relax a little and go with the flow. :D

Pipsqueak
24-03-2010, 06:16 PM
awww the first day can always be a toughie
the first day with any new child can be a toughie - even experienced minders flump back sometimes and think 'gonna cry' although that soon changes to 'where's the bottle of wine' lol

As Minstrel says - you charge as per contracted times - if they drop early or collect late you add on the extra - if they collect early or drop late you still charge from contracted times.

If nappies or whatever needs doing when parent is here I always ask do you want me to do it or do they?

As for what mum said to you - think she perhaps didn't mean it the way you have taken it. Tomorrows a new day, chin up and remember you ARE ready for this - day 1 is always the hardest, you can do it, you are a professional you are still learning a few ropes and bound to have hiccups.

Congratulate yourself on being a minder.:clapping:

mandy moo
24-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree with Minstrel,
1st day in any new job is not easy,
I've only been a childminder for 2 years and still find it hard to 'do' some
things in front of parents if you know what I mean..lol
talking money, even worse, again as with minstrel

good luck :)

jelly15
24-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Feel for you but you have been given great advice and it does get easier I promise.

hollyoaksmad
24-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanx everyone I feel bad that i didnt change nappys infront ov her i just hope she understand :( just alot ov stuff happening at once :(

mamasheshe
24-03-2010, 06:48 PM
i wouldn't worry about the nappy thing as a parent I'd expect to change the nappy if i was their. She probably didn't even notice:D

i think she was trying to be funny about the muscle thing :D

hollyoaksmad
24-03-2010, 06:53 PM
im not very strong as only iccle and im not used to carrying heavy things iv just gota get used to it learn from mistakes i guesx

sillysausage
24-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Don't feel bad. The first day in any new job is always hard! You will get more confident as time goes on.

Lets face it, even if you are the next Miss Universe, baby car seats are awkward things to carry and manoeuvre.

With regards to the nappy, as with others I would probably change the child unless the parent said otherwise. I have always taken the stance that if it happens on my premises then I deal with it, this includes nappies, behaviour issues etc. Parents are usually grateful that they don't have the dirty nappy to change :rolleyes: and often with behaviour issues at hometime parents are too embarassed to deal with the offending behaviour sensibly/properly.

Now do as you are told and RELAX! (with tipple of choice and a nice bar of choc.....works for me)

Helen Dempster
24-03-2010, 08:59 PM
oh bless you.

I think I'm lucky cos I'm not a shy girl, sometimes I wish I was! LOL. It will get better hun. The different culture may not have helped - mum probably thought she was breaking the ice/making a joke?

I charge per day, or per week/month, depending on circumstances, and charge a late fee (only had to use this once or twice though).

Chin up girl, you're doing a great job I'm sure :thumbsup:

angiemog
25-03-2010, 07:03 AM
I think sometimes with different cultures, languages and backgrounds things can be misunderstood. I have a few American friends who do not understand my sense of humour. I think maybe you were being a little sensitive, I've similiar things said about 'are you ready for this' it's just a parents way of communicating and maybe starting a conversation. I have found when parents start coming I struggle to know what to say, after a few weeks it's no problem. Good Luck x