PDA

View Full Version : Do I start a CAF on this little lad?

Fitrix
24-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi All,
I look after a little boy of 5 years. He came to me 2 years ago because his previous childminder couldn't cope with his behaviour. I believe this was because her setting just wasn't right for him but also he has been quite challenging. Over the last 2 years he has been ok with me - mostly because I am very strict and have clear boundaries which he is hesitant to cross - although he constantly pushes them! He loves my setting because he has brilliant friends here - slightly older children and we do loads of activities and fun outings, although I think he is very wary of me (and most adults except his parents). However I find his behaviour really tiring - I am constantly on edge when he's here, monitoring his every move becuase if I don't he instantly starts winding other kids up, hitting, fighting, doing things he knows he shouldn't. I have to hide weapons of any kind becuase he just doesn't seem to realise/care that a lash of a plastic sword around someone's face will hurt!
On top of this he is very insecure in himself - he gets embarrassed when asked anything or if he is the focus of attention (by an adult). I have to select activities very carefully to get him involved - if its a bit challenging he won't even try - its like he's terrified of failing. He also has odd cleanliness habits - if a speck of dirt/paint gets on his clothes or hands he wants to change / wash his hands. He finds sharing his own stuff very hard. His speech / writing / reading and behind but improving - although this is really difficult for me to know becuase he just won't share his knowledge at all - just clams up.
I have tried speaking to the parents on the odd occasion but I really feel they talk the talk - say all the right things, but don't carry through. There are clearly no consistent boundaries in place and he treats them appallingly.

So it has been suggested to me that I do a Common Assessment Framework form on him - does anyone have any experience of this. Do you think he warrants it? I'm really stuck and dont' really know how to go forward with this. I'd really appreciate any advice and help.

mamasheshe
24-03-2010, 01:11 PM
never heard of one sound interesting :D you sound like your doing a fab job :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
24-03-2010, 01:14 PM
you could ask the parents if you could approach his health visitor (he should still have one) and get some advice there.

if the parents aren't backing you up and you are all working consistently together its an uphill battle. do you think parents are piling pressure on this child? you say he is 5 is he at school or another setting - have you permission to speak with them?

you cannot do a CAF on a child without the parents permission. you can do the pre-assessment but again the CAF is all about being up front and honest with the parents. A pre-assessment is the first part and it helps you decide whether a CAF is needed. Do you have a CAF Hub? They should be able to advise you. Just be aware t hat if you do instigate a full CAF you are responsibile for it until a lead practitioner is selected and that could still be you. That means you are responsible for ensuring information and people get the right information about the child, meetings etc.

I think the first course of action is to speak to the other settings if any and also with the health visitor. And trying to get the parents on board

What triggers this childs actions? have you done obs?
What strategies have you in place - ie getting him to help with house rules and consequences, removal of toys
Again this is about getting the parents on board.

Pipsqueak
24-03-2010, 01:16 PM
never heard of one sound interesting :D you sound like your doing a fab job :thumbsup:

CAF - Common Assessment Framework its about Team around the Child
Multi-agency working/integrated services for the benefit of the child.

Your LA should have a CAF Hub (or whatever they call it) and all pracitioners should have training on it.
Contact your FIS and ask about it:D

mamasheshe
24-03-2010, 01:22 PM
CAF - Common Assessment Framework its about Team around the Child
Multi-agency working/integrated services for the benefit of the child.

Your LA should have a CAF Hub (or whatever they call it) and all pracitioners should have training on it.
Contact your FIS and ask about it:D

thankyou xxx

mama2three
24-03-2010, 01:22 PM
i can only echo what pip said. If the mindee is 5 he is likely to be at school , have you got the parents permission to speak to them? Id do this first as they may have already done a pre assessment or started the ball rolling on a caf - in any case i would want to know what if any concerns they have , and is he under the observation of their senco? Ask them whether they have considered a caf referral , that way the onus is taken off you if they are willing to follow up. Good Luck x

Fitrix
24-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all your replies. My initial thought was indeed to speak to his teacher, which I'm going to do as soon as the opportunity presents itself (not easy with 6 kids in tow). I'm just worried that the class he is in is chocabloc full of "challenging" individuals and i reckon he might have slipped under her radar - he is very good at blending in / not drawing attention to himself and although he may instigate bad behaviour I should imagine he hides behind others....!
I would of course seek parental involvements and permission first before starting a CAF - but from my description of his behaviour, do you think he actually warrants one or am I being too picky about his behaviour. I mean, most 5 year old boys will fight/sword play/wind each other up at the drop of a hat won't they??
I don't feel empowered or experienced enough to start the ball rolling officially on this one to be honest unless it really is necessary.

Pipsqueak
24-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all your replies. My initial thought was indeed to speak to his teacher, which I'm going to do as soon as the opportunity presents itself (not easy with 6 kids in tow). I'm just worried that the class he is in is chocabloc full of "challenging" individuals and i reckon he might have slipped under her radar - he is very good at blending in / not drawing attention to himself and although he may instigate bad behaviour I should imagine he hides behind others....!
I would of course seek parental involvements and permission first before starting a CAF - but from my description of his behaviour, do you think he actually warrants one or am I being too picky about his behaviour. I mean, most 5 year old boys will fight/sword play/wind each other up at the drop of a hat won't they??
I don't feel empowered or experienced enough to start the ball rolling officially on this one to be honest unless it really is necessary.

Its really hard to say whether a CAF would be warranted however the pre-assessment form would help you decide. And there is no harm done in doing a pre-assessment.
Once the pre-assessment is done whether you decide to go ahead with a CAF or not you HAVE to file the pre-assessment with the CAF Hub/Team, stating reasons why you have or not decided to go ahead. don't be put of about doing a pre-assessment though.

If you are not confident in this area I would really recommend speaking to the CAF Hub/Team in your area (find info out from FIS) or speaking to childs HV.
You can find out more CAF info on the Every Child Matters website.

mama2three
24-03-2010, 01:46 PM
fitrix the point is that we are not professionals and cannot diagnose. all you can do is raise your concerns , and speak to others involved in his care and go from there. I know what you mean about slipping under the teachers radar - but by sharing your observations with her this will maybe make her focus on him a little more - all good!
Tbh , even if this child does get statemented there is little different in your everyday work with him. ieps are all about progress and next steps , so exactly like the eyfs really. But at least you may get the extra support of a team around you.