PDA

View Full Version : flats/masionettea and childminding

EllaBella
24-03-2010, 12:10 PM
hello all, ok at the moment i live in a nice little 2 bed house with a huge huge garden.

however i have been hankering towards living in canterbury for years now.

i have found the most beautiful 3 bed masionette with veiws looking over the cathederal ,and with a little breakfast balcony. the only downside is the garden from what i gather is communal/open plan.

this would obviously not be safe for children unnatended / when using bathroom having to be alone ect ect . got to think about balcony too .

i suppose my question is, those of you who live in flats and places like i have just described.... what do you do with regards to outside play and do you struggle because of no secure garden.

(if i have the option of securing the garden so its enclosed from the back door im off like a shot) :D

Tinglesnark
24-03-2010, 05:51 PM
oooh no idea, id say it might be an idea to speak to ofsted and ask their advice. however if you know its impractical and you want to use it for childminding, perhaps it would be an idea to find somewhere else?
either way good luck
x

helenlc
24-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I dont think it would be a problem at all. There are some childminders who live in houses who dont have their garden registered. My friend doesnt as it is unsafe and needs too much work doing to it. She lives right next door to woods though and so they often take walks in there and to the local park.

Ofsted will want to see how else you will allow the children to have outside time. This can be with supervised activities in the communal garden area (obviously you will need to risk assess this more due to other users), trips to the park, walks in the wood etc. If you can make the balcony safe, they could have sand and water or do crafts out there.

Your children wont have "free" access to the outside, like they would if you had a garden and they could come and go. But this doesnt mean that they are going to get any less outside time than being somewhere with a garden.

I wouldnt let it distract you from moving.

suzyblue
25-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I dont think it would be a problem either. As long as you are able to get them out each day, the communial gardens, local park, etc Maybe treat the gardens as you would a park and take everything with you, make sure they go to the toilet before you leave etc

EllaBella
25-03-2010, 09:02 AM
thanks all:thumbsup:

the house is 5 mins from a lovely park with bandstand area toilet and a little cafe shack type thing. and there is a kids area. i spend hours in canterbury walking round the cathederal/butterfly gardens/parks and ridng on the rowing boats down the river :laughing: .

this would have a playroom which i dont have now, but it all depends on what the garden is like. thats the only problem.

im waiting to hear back and hopefully go view it. :D

suzyblue
25-03-2010, 09:06 AM
It sounds lovely. If your heart loves it then you have to go for it. You can get around the garden problem. GOOD LUCK!!!

solly
25-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Like the others have said i cant see it being a problem as long as the children get to go out everyday.
I do have my garden registered and it is only small, i dont use it at all during the winter due to it being so wet but i do go for walks and the park etc when my garden cant be used.

Good luck with it all and i hope it turns out to be what you want

Bushpig
25-03-2010, 09:36 AM
When I lived in my two bed flat with a balcony... the OFSTED inspector was very happy with it as I showed how I got the kids out to the common etc. as often as I could.. plus had a little garden growing on the balcony which the kids watered daily etc. I got my current grade living there... so not having your own private garden definitely doesn't hold you back as far as childminding goes.

I now live in a 3 bed maisonette... with a communal garden - more like a park! - which 90% of the time we have to ourselves anyway... OFSTED are very happy with this... it really depends on HOW you utilise the space you have - indoor and out... do all your risk assessments etc.

It sounds lovely - go for it :thumbsup:

EllaBella
25-03-2010, 11:30 AM
wow that garden is gorgeous!!!

thanks for all replies I will update once i know more x