PDA

View Full Version : Concerns

celdemorg
24-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi I'd like some advice please as I'm really not sure what to do.

I have a lo, who'm I've had for a couple of months for a few hours a day, he's nearly 2yrs old and I've just got a few concerns, I have listed below some of the things that he does, in some cases doesn't do, so here goes:

Head bangs the floor. (Mum says he does this all the time and against walls)
Doesn't talk yet only babbles, not heard him say mum or dad.
Doesn't react to anything that I do with him, when we play together or when we go on outings, he seems not interested in anything.
Doesn't play with any toys at all, just likes throwing them.
Doesn't play with the other children, or take any notice of them, when he does he just pushes them, or comes right up to their faces and stares at them (nose to nose) which they don't like at all.
He's just started biting on my other lo's legs, last week was pulling hair.

These are just a few things, I could list a lot more. I'm getting quite worried about him, I mention this to his mum, but I don't seem to get anything back, the behaviour she put's down to his teething!! I have given her the HV phone number, as she mentioned about his speech, so I replied if yr worried you best have a chat to HV. Which I presume she hasn't done, as it hasn't been mentioned since.

At first I thought maybe he needed a bit longer to settle in, but nothing has changed.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated xxxxx

Mookins
24-03-2010, 09:55 AM
half of that sounds like frustration because he cant communicate...has he had his eyes tested recently

im no expert and far from trained but am more than happy to say its early days yet he is still very young...does he have a dummy? i think these are great for calming but awful for holding lo speach back

am sure someine else can help

celdemorg
24-03-2010, 10:13 AM
No he doesn't have a dummy, he does get very angry and frustrated a lot, but for no apparent reason. This is why I gave mum the HV's number, just in case he needed his hearing tested (my dd had a few hearing problems and were picked up at this age)

This is what I was thinking that he's still quite young, but when I see my other lo's that are younger and at the same age they all seem to do an awful lot more.

Maybe it's just me and I should'nt compare x

Spangles
24-03-2010, 11:13 AM
It's very hard not to compare so don't feel bad.

I think I would be writing all of this down, making notes, speak to mum again in a couple of weeks when you have it all clear in your head.

Just wondered if you have you tried signing with him? If communication is the main problem this may help. I know some children to speak very, very late and if he's getting frustrated that would explain a lot of his behaviour.

Sorry, I'm not much help!

helencart
24-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi I'd like some advice please as I'm really not sure what to do.

I have a lo, who'm I've had for a couple of months for a few hours a day, he's nearly 2yrs old and I've just got a few concerns, I have listed below some of the things that he does, in some cases doesn't do, so here goes:

Head bangs the floor. (Mum says he does this all the time and against walls)
Doesn't talk yet only babbles, not heard him say mum or dad.
Doesn't react to anything that I do with him, when we play together or when we go on outings, he seems not interested in anything.
Doesn't play with any toys at all, just likes throwing them.
Doesn't play with the other children, or take any notice of them, when he does he just pushes them, or comes right up to their faces and stares at them (nose to nose) which they don't like at all.
He's just started biting on my other lo's legs, last week was pulling hair.

These are just a few things, I could list a lot more. I'm getting quite worried about him, I mention this to his mum, but I don't seem to get anything back, the behaviour she put's down to his teething!! I have given her the HV phone number, as she mentioned about his speech, so I replied if yr worried you best have a chat to HV. Which I presume she hasn't done, as it hasn't been mentioned since.

At first I thought maybe he needed a bit longer to settle in, but nothing has changed.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated xxxxx

Oh I have one of those too!!!! He is nearly 2 years old and have had him since he was 6 months...have come to the conclusion it's his way of getting attention from mom and thinks that it's the correct way here!!I have his older sister too, who he constantly bites, pinches and pulls her hair. He throws everything and doesn't get pleasure out of anything unless he not suppost to be doing it.

Ripeberry
24-03-2010, 11:25 AM
My mindee is 18 months old and he is not really talking yet and I know that some 16/17 month olds can say words and string a little sentence together.
But he communicates mainly by 'baby signing' and this helps a great deal and stops him getting frustrated.
Have you tried testing him for hearing yourself by maybe rustling some paper and seing his reaction (if he can't see it), if he hears that, then he may be using selective deafness :rolleyes:
The banging head is what my mindee does as well, especially when he is tired, he is starting to pinch (used to bite when 13 months old), but if I say "OWW!" with a shocked face, it stops him in his tracks and then I say "Show me how you are gentle" and then he strokes my arm :)
Each child is different and it's just finding a way to 'tune in' with them.
Try baby signing, it's easy to pick up for child and carer. :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
24-03-2010, 11:48 AM
You need to start recording everything - not just the negative but the positive too.

Focus on what child can do and take it from there - even if he is xxx months/years behind

A lot could be due to him not being able to communicate properly but he should at least be saying a few words.
What do you think his hearing is like? Does he react to a loud unexpected noise? Can he tell where a noise is coming from?
What do you think his comprehension is like? Does he understand simple commands or sentances -without gesture?

i think its always good to get a hearing check so advise mum to contact the HV or GP to arrange or see if you can get her permission to speak to the HV yourself. You would be able to then talk to her about the whole range of concerns.

I have a LO who is nearly 3yr and he is within the lower end 12 -18 months for speech. Mum gave me permission to speak to HV who then spoke to her and a hearing check is being arranged and then we are going to do a referral for speech therapy together.

Lots of songs and rhymes with actions and a strong beat - like hand clapping, feet stomping.

I am no expert but I would strongly recommend you or mum having contact with the HV

celdemorg
24-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Mmm maybe it could be his hearing and I'll just see how he goes over the next month or two and monitor him. I have been making notes of all the concerns i've had so I think I will speak to mum tmrw whether she's had chance to speak to the HV yet, and see how it goes from there, if nothing comes of it do I need to get permission from the parent's to speak to the HV myself.

LO seems to hear me though when I say "lunch time" or "lets get your coat on" for when we go out, so it's a bit of a tough one, not sure. It did take him a while to settle with me, I suppose he just has to get used to our routine etc. Another thing he doesn't like doing is touching anything, I can't get him to paint, glue or play with the sand or water. I tried to do a hand print picture for mum for mother's day, but i had to stop because he went hysterical, so when we do craft work I tend to just let him sit back as I don't want to upset him again. All children are different at the end of the day so maybe I shouldn't dwell on it too much.

My other lo's settled in really quickly and I've had no problems with them at all (all little stars), all play together lovely, apart from one being very whingy, likes saying no a lot and scratching:(

Well I'm going to have a cuppa, while it's quiet and the little dear's are having a nap. Thank you soo much for your replies, I'm really getting to like this forum having people to chat to:)

Tinglesnark
24-03-2010, 02:43 PM
i dont know much about special needs but im wondering if this little lad might be having some problems? i dont know where you would get advice about autism and things like that? Not that im saying he might have autism im just speculating that maybe there is some underlying issues?
it would be interesting to see what the HV had to say.
good luck, i hope you find a solution
x

jemima
24-03-2010, 05:32 PM
My DS2 didn't speak until just before he was 2, not a word, he also head banged all the time. He is now just over 3, never shuts up :rolleyes: and has stopped the head banging since he started talking. Maybe just frustration but I would be asking parents to check with HV as I did. Was told that some children especially boys don't talk until 2 and a half but I compared him to DS1 who started to talk at 12 months :)

Pipsqueak
24-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Mmm maybe it could be his hearing and I'll just see how he goes over the next month or two and monitor him. I have been making notes of all the concerns i've had so I think I will speak to mum tmrw whether she's had chance to speak to the HV yet, and see how it goes from there, if nothing comes of it do I need to get permission from the parent's to speak to the HV myself.

LO seems to hear me though when I say "lunch time" or "lets get your coat on" for when we go out, so it's a bit of a tough one, not sure. It did take him a while to settle with me, I suppose he just has to get used to our routine etc. Another thing he doesn't like doing is touching anything, I can't get him to paint, glue or play with the sand or water. I tried to do a hand print picture for mum for mother's day, but i had to stop because he went hysterical, so when we do craft work I tend to just let him sit back as I don't want to upset him again. All children are different at the end of the day so maybe I shouldn't dwell on it too much.

My other lo's settled in really quickly and I've had no problems with them at all (all little stars), all play together lovely, apart from one being very whingy, likes saying no a lot and scratching:(

Well I'm going to have a cuppa, while it's quiet and the little dear's are having a nap. Thank you soo much for your replies, I'm really getting to like this forum having people to chat to:)

Yes you do need permission to speak to the HV specifically about the child but you could speak to the HV in an indirect way without naming the child and if she happens to be visiting your setting then she may connect for herself iyswim!:rolleyes: I have done this before when the parent wouldn't give me permission and the HV just happened to be popping round to say hi! again if you catch my meaning.

yes all children are different, some really dislike sensory type activities and thats ok - you just allow them to do what they are comfortable with.

I would say - just going on what you have said here that there are perhaps some indicators that your concerns are justified but none of us are health experts and you perhaps need to take further professional advice so you can include this child fully again if you see what I mean!;)

Sounds like you are doing a great job already and well done to you.
Keep us updated.

celdemorg
25-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Well lo was fine today played with the blocks most of the morning :) (likes putting them in very long straight lines) was ok until mum arrived, didn't get chance to speak to mum as he started playing up a little when she came to collect him - banging his head on the floor, (which he does quite a lot, and worries me as he does it quite hard, and obviously i don't want him to hurt himself):panic: I also had my young niece and didn't really want to discuss, while she was present. So will approach the subject again next week with mum, about the HV.

Will keep you posted, and again thanks for your help xxxxx

miffy
25-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Glad you've had a better day.

I'd definitely try and persuade mum to speak to hv with a view to getting lo's hearing checked out.

Miffy xx