PDA

View Full Version : help with termination letter please!!!

sarahstanbridge
23-03-2010, 11:00 PM
the situation is that i have a mum returning from maternity leave in June so her 2 children will take up 2 full time spaces and another mum has asked to increase her days so with these children i have my 3 under 5. so i need to do a termination to the little one that would be leaving me in sept when she starts school so that i am not over numbers. i want to end contract mid may so that i have couple of weeks before the baby starts.

this is what i have so far!

dear xxxxx

Due to changes in circumstances I have no choice but to terminate your childcare contract for xxxxx from Friday 14 May 2010. This date gives you 7 weeks notice which is more that the 4 weeks notice that is required in our contract.

This had not been an easy decision to make as xxxxx has become part of my family as she has been coming here since she was 6 months old. However xxxxx would be leaving my care in September when she starts school and I have to look at the long term picture. I have a new baby starting in June and another family has permanently increased the hours that their child attends my setting. As a registered childminder I can only provide care for 3 children under the age of 5 years at any one time. With this extra child and the addional hours by the other family I will be over my numbers. I have considered speaking to Ofsted about increasing the number of children that I can provide care for at any one time so that this course of action would not be necessary however I feel that I would not be able to provide the quality of care with anymore than 3 under 5 years, so I feel that I have no choice but to bring our contract to an early end.

I have also decided to cut back on the number of hours that I work during school holidays from the same date. I already have 6 children that I now provide holiday cover to who also attend the setting during term time. Because of this high number I have decided to not provide holiday cover to children who do ot attend the setting during term time.

I have made some enquires to fellow childminders in the area that I know on your behalf to see who has vacancies and have found that xxxxxx xxxxxx has spaces at the moment and may be able provide care for xxxxxx. I can thoroughly recommend her and she is extremely local to xxxxxxxand xxxxxx school. Should you wish to contact her, her number is xxxxxx. Alternatively you can ring the Families Information Services on 0800 2346 346 or look at their website www.childcarefinder.direct.gov.uk which list all local childminders.

does that sound ok. i ned to word it very carefully as mum can take things very personally!

thanks for reading

sarah

little daisies
24-03-2010, 05:41 AM
cant you try to get a variation for continuty of care and keep all of them, it will only be for a few months, that way everyones happy incuding your pocket:)

Minstrel
24-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I would also go with trying for a variation, i think you have a good chance of getting it.

Failing that, and you still decide to terminate, I would probably leave out giving so much information about your reasons. It won't make them feel any better, worse if anything because their child is being chosen over others. Just leave it as a change in circumstances.

solly
24-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I would also try for a variation first. If you still decide to terminate then i would just say due to a change in my circumstances and not give any reasons

mama2three
24-03-2010, 10:07 AM
i agree with minstrel and solly! the less info the better , just change in circumstances.

tracey36
24-03-2010, 10:11 AM
i would go for a variation, i have had to do this in the past and ofsted do tend to be understanding in caes like this

Goatgirl
24-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Sarah,
It's never easy to give notice, esp when you have a good relationship with a child and their family and from your letter I'd say you seem to feel pretty bad about having to let the little one go.
If it was me in your shoes, I would be leaving it until a bit nearer the time that the Maternity leave parent is due to return too; unless you are very certain she will return as agreed, on time etc Alot can happen and plans may have changed for them... are they paying a retainer/deposit to hold the place(s)?
Also, the variation does sound like a good idea if you could manage all the children and its only for a few months...

But anyway, back to the letter:
Personally, I'd keep it short sweet and business like, 'Unfortunately, due to a change in circumstances....' with an added 'we will all miss LO's *insert compliment here* personality and wish you luck finding a suitable childcare setting. Here are some details of trusted and well known CHM's etc....

I'm a bit confused about the holiday care bit. I'd maybe communicate this separately from notice...?

If you feel you need to, you could always give them more details verbally later, but as has been said, the more you sound as if you're trying to justify it, the more they'll take it personally. It'll come across better as an unfortunate circumstance IMO.

Hope you sort it out soon, so you can stop worrying :thumbsup:

bws, Wendy

sarahstanbridge
24-03-2010, 01:50 PM
hi, i have decided to try for a varation. have rung ofsted and they are sending out form. thanks for the replies.

sarahstanbridge
01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
hi, i have decided to try for a varation. have rung ofsted and they are sending out form. thanks for the replies.

I got the variation so thanks for all your help!

sarah xx

francinejayne
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM

sarah xx

That's good news, I'm in a similar situation, can I PM you?

TammyN
01-05-2010, 03:00 PM

sarah xx

what did you write, i emailed and have just been sent the 'Form' to fill in it's so detailed, any advice?

francinejayne
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
what did you write, i emailed and have just been sent the 'Form' to fill in it's so detailed, any advice?

I've Pm'd Sarah asking pretty much the same question! I'll forward you the message, and hopefully Sarah's reply!!

TammyN
01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I've Pm'd Sarah asking pretty much the same question! I'll forward you the message, and hopefully Sarah's reply!!

:thumbsup: thanx, i hope sarah replies as the forms are here waiting and i need to send them off by Tues!

green puppy
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
When I recently applied for a variation to have 4 under 5's it was so that one family could extend days to full time. I put that lo is extremely settled and the variation is to provide continuity of care. You have to write that you have the necessary equipment to suit all childrens needs, highchairs,sleeping equipment and arrangements,pushchairs and equipment that enables you to keep them all safe when out. Good luck.

francinejayne
02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
When I recently applied for a variation to have 4 under 5's it was so that one family could extend days to full time. I put that lo is extremely settled and the variation is to provide continuity of care. You have to write that you have the necessary equipment to suit all childrens needs, highchairs,sleeping equipment and arrangements,pushchairs and equipment that enables you to keep them all safe when out. Good luck.

Thanks! I will do that!

The Juggler
02-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd have a chat with mum. Say that as x is leaving in Sept you've been advertising and you've been asked to take on xx and xx which means you'd be full.

Tell her you can't afford to turn down the work but you will apply for a variation to keep her little one on. Say if you can't you will give her plenty of notice and you will help her find alternative care so it is in place ready for September.

Then keep her posted on variation and do the formal letter as and when it happens.

sarahstanbridge
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
:thumbsup: thanx, i hope sarah replies as the forms are here waiting and i need to send them off by Tues!

hi, i needed my variation as j's mum was returning to work following the birth of K. she was not due to return till august which fitted in nicely as A was leaving me then! so i only needed a variation for a short period.
i phoned ofsted and they sent the form to me which i completed. i discribed an average day telling then how i would keep the children all safe etc. they wanted to know all the children in my care even my own and how old they were etc. i was told they aim to have an answer with in 14 days. i had to ring on the 16th day and i explained that i needed to know asap as i would have to issue a termination if i heard nothing by 5th may. i looked at my online report 2 days later and the conditions are there so i am very happy. i would say put as much info on the form as you can. discribe an average day and how you will meet all the childrens needs. mention any new equipment that you will need to buy etc. my variation was of continuity of care for exsiting children. these were not new families to me and the children have been with me since they were 6 months old and are now both 4 years. go for it nothing ventured nothing gained. the worst they can say is No and at least you have tried for these parents, i hope this helps sarah.

TammyN
02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanx Sarah, i will complete form tomorrow, i had variation granted last year for 2 under 1 but apart from small form i answered questions by phone, this form is much more detailed. same reason as you, continuity as parents keep asking for more sessions for training and i can't do it but know it's more than possible as they are all children that have been with me from start :-)
oh well, here's hoping.
Tammy x

hi, i needed my variation as j's mum was returning to work following the birth of K. she was not due to return till august which fitted in nicely as A was leaving me then! so i only needed a variation for a short period.
i phoned ofsted and they sent the form to me which i completed. i discribed an average day telling then how i would keep the children all safe etc. they wanted to know all the children in my care even my own and how old they were etc. i was told they aim to have an answer with in 14 days. i had to ring on the 16th day and i explained that i needed to know asap as i would have to issue a termination if i heard nothing by 5th may. i looked at my online report 2 days later and the conditions are there so i am very happy. i would say put as much info on the form as you can. discribe an average day and how you will meet all the childrens needs. mention any new equipment that you will need to buy etc. my variation was of continuity of care for exsiting children. these were not new families to me and the children have been with me since they were 6 months old and are now both 4 years. go for it nothing ventured nothing gained. the worst they can say is No and at least you have tried for these parents, i hope this helps sarah.