PDA

View Full Version : quick help needed!!

moogster1a
23-03-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if I've just made a mistake! Mum of one of my after schoolers just phoned to say she's making a new tax credit claim 'cos she's moved in with bf and they've suspended her payments till it goes through. She reckons 3 weeks at most then she'll get it backdated.
I told her I'd accept half payment for 3 weeks athen she pays me back?
I also said I would write a basic IOU to cover this which she'd have to sign tonight or care is suspended from now till she gets her money sorted.
Have I been gullible or is this fair?
Also, how should I word the IOU?
Help ASAP please so I can get it in writing by this afternoon!

The Juggler
23-03-2010, 02:34 PM
no, no, no! from what I understand on here it takes days to get payments adjusted (if the entitlement continues). it does not get stopped. What if they reduce her payments drastically, she might not then have enough to cover you.

Hon, I would say sorry, a large bill's just come in/car needs loads of jobs doing at the MOT and you cannot allow her to pay in arrears.

mama2three
23-03-2010, 02:39 PM
tell her you have spoken to the tax credits people and in light of the fact that they assured you payments would only take days to amend you dont see any need to accept reduced payments , after all youre not providing reduced care.
An iou really isnt worth the paper it is written on!

auntym
23-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I agree hon sorry. If they need your services they have to pay, it may sound harsh but like was said what happens if she does not get back pay?
We still have bills hon, one of my parents just had tax credits stopped as over paid. But I expect payment as usual as im still doing my job x

moogster1a
23-03-2010, 02:42 PM
thanks for that. I just phoned tax credits who said they do have to stop them in a change of circumstance and it takes up to 3 weeks. So good that she wasn't fibbin, but what a stupid system leaving the parent / childcarer in the lurch.

Mollymop
23-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Hope it gets sorted out soon.

mama2three
23-03-2010, 02:46 PM
hang on , the tax credits are to help with the costs of childcare but just because they have been 'suspended' doesnt mean she cant afford to pay you. especially as shes moving in with her oh so bills etc will be reduced , no full rent to pay etc.

jelly15
23-03-2010, 03:29 PM
I tell parents I am not interested in how they get the money to pay for my service, they booked it they pay it, end of. Gosh I am getting hard.

Hebs
23-03-2010, 03:37 PM
thanks for that. I just phoned tax credits who said they do have to stop them in a change of circumstance and it takes up to 3 weeks. So good that she wasn't fibbin, but what a stupid system leaving the parent / childcarer in the lurch.

I have the exact same thing with my newest mindee, mum rang tax credits from my house and let me speak to them to confirm the "3 weeks aprox" deadline

I had a right rant at him, mum is in a blind panic too :panic:

HELEN10
31-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Well moogster1a i hope it is only three weeks for your sake!! One of my parents moved in with her boyfriend, told TC on 11th Jan got her claim stopped immediatlely and they began to process a new one. The next payment she received from them was 19TH march!!

I had to wait all that time but did charge her £5 per day late fees! From what i can gather her claim was straightforward they were not waiting for info etc. Also heard of it taking this long before as a change like that is processed as a brand new claim.

Good luck!

HELEN10