PDA

View Full Version : Charging double-time - should I?

Melissa
23-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone, hoping for a bit of "what would you do" advice.

Next week I've agreed to do some extra hours for one of my parents - a full day on Wednesday instead of just the afternoon, and also the Monday afternoon, when I'm minding another little boy. I usually have wednesday mornings off and have a driving lesson but will have to rearrange this next week. The monday aft will be quite hard work - I'll have 3 under 16 months old!

My contract does say I charge double (£7) for extra hours to the contracted ones, and I've just told the mum that I'll need to charge at the double rate, but am having doubts. I think because me and my family have all had bouts of sickness in the last couple of months, which must be very inconvenient for them, so I'm feeling like a bad CM and feeling guilty - though the sickness is a separate issue. Mum asked me to do this last week and will be getting back to me shortly on the exact hours.

Obviously I really want to charge the double rate, underpaid as we all are, but would it be really wrong to? I'm just looking for an idea of what others would do as I don't want to do anything outrageous!

Thanks xxx

Alibali
23-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I personally wouldn't charge double for extra hours, just the hours that are contracted plus the extra at normal rate, but I don't have anything in my contracts about it.

Mouse
23-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't charge double time for that. If I can fit in extra hours during normal working hours then I just do them at the normal rate.

I only charge double fee if any of the time is outside a normal working week (ie. early morning, late night, weekend, bank hloiday).

I don't normally work a Monday, but if parents ask me to (and if I decide to do it) it's at normal rate as that is a within a 'normal' working week, even if it's not my normal working week.

Hope that makes sense!

sandy64
23-03-2010, 11:55 AM
hi i would charge my daily rate for wed and half day for monday or hrly rate.
but like alibali has said depends what is in your contract as my extra/dble fees are out of hrs.and doesnt seem fare to charge one normal fee and another extra for same hrs but we all work and charge differently:)

Melissa
23-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys - oh I feel awful now, just for thinking of it! I'll text her and tell her I'll just charge normal rate. I think it's because I'm thinking about Wednesdays mornings being my "time off" but like someone just said it is still a "normal" working day for everyone else.

tracey36
23-03-2010, 12:13 PM
personally when asked to do extra hours i would charge the normal rate unless they are unsociable or not agreed before hand and parent just turns up hours later for eg

charliegee
23-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I only charge double for bank hols (I don't work them but will by prior mutual agreement - stressing double time.)

I think that if it is your contract that you charge double then it is okay to do so - but I know personally I' m a right softie and would say usual rate

tough one as we should stick to our contracts shouldn't we but it can be difficult at times.

if you've told her it would be double rate and she's having a think about it (sorry...will have to re read your post!) then the call is hers to say yes or no

- athough if she says "no on reflection, as double time too much" - perhaps agree to do at normal rate?

x

angiemog
23-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't charge double time for that. If I can fit in extra hours during normal working hours then I just do them at the normal rate.

I only charge double fee if any of the time is outside a normal working week (ie. early morning, late night, weekend, bank hloiday).

I don't normally work a Monday, but if parents ask me to (and if I decide to do it) it's at normal rate as that is a within a 'normal' working week, even if it's not my normal working week.

Hope that makes sense!

I would do this too. x

Tatjana
23-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I only charge double for my unsociable rate which fall outside my normal opening hours of 8am-6pm.

hth
xx

mama2three
23-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I charge a little extra for non-contract / adhoc hours , but nowhere near double. Though if you value your morning off you need to make it worthwhile losing it , and remember if you only have the one child you will be working for only £3.50 an hour.

youarewhatyoueat
23-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Crikey if she has agreed to pay it and its in your contract, you can charge what you like. An emergency nanny would be paid £10 per hour I think £7 per hour is fair. Why should you only work for £3.50 an hour and rearrange your week to suit her. We all like to do favours for our parents but personally i would perhaps say when you give her the bill that you have given her a small discount and she is welcome to use you again.