PDA

View Full Version : Minding a 10yr old..

doodles
22-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Hiya, I look after a 10 yr old girl each morning before school, she gets dropped off at 7.15 then at 8.15 she walks to school with her best friend who lives over the road from me.
Ive just been asked to have her 7.15 - 2.45 in the Easter Holidays and im unsure what to do.. Ive never been responsible for a child before thats not in my care all the time iyswim..
She wants to be able to come in and out and go over to her friends etc..
How do you all manage older children and ensure they stay safe?

karen m
22-03-2010, 08:33 PM
i looked after 1 older child and her school friend lived in the same road as me,they were 10,her mum and i agreed that she was allowed to go to friends house and nowhere else ,had to come back to mine for lunch and if it was a day we were going anywhere she had to stay with me,worked well and i only stopped minding her when she went senior school

doodles
22-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Im just scared she would leave the street and if anything happened to her :panic:
I just need to set strict ground rules i think and make sure she takes her mobile EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!

karen m
22-03-2010, 08:42 PM
if she is 10 then hopefully she will obey the rules ,if she goes were she not mean't to inform her before hand she will not be allowed to play with friend at all while in your care also make sure mum also makes this a condition of her being with friend ,hope this makes sense

sarah707
22-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Check with your insurance company that you are covered.

If you are, then make sure parents write down exactly what the child can and cannot do ... and where she can and cannot go.

Hth :D

miffy
22-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Check with your insurance company that you are covered.

If you are, then make sure parents write down exactly what the child can and cannot do ... and where she can and cannot go.

Hth :D

Good advice from Sarah.

I wouldn't do this myself - I wouldn't like to be responsible for a child who wasn't with me iyswim.

If you're going to do it then you have to make sure you cover your back.

Miffy xx

Desi-101
22-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I would do exactly what Sarah suggested.. good luck :)

suzyblue
23-03-2010, 08:11 AM
I dont allow my schoolers to go out but invite their friends to play at mine instead. I would definitely get it all in writing and make sure her friends mum knows the score and doesnt let them out to play anywhere without your knowledge.

gigglinggoblin
23-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Who is responsible if parents say she cannot go off street but then she does it when you are not looking?

doodles
23-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Who is responsible if parents say she cannot go off street but then she does it when you are not looking?

Exactly... thats what im worried about! Mum is coming round tomorrow so will need to sort this all out.

SparklingGems
23-03-2010, 02:31 PM
My friend looks after a boy who is ten and he goes to his friends house but what they do is friends mum calls when he leaving and my friend watches for him. She does not allow him to hang around the streets. She calls friends mum after 10mins once he has left their to make sure he has arrived. She told mum if he breaks the rules then he has to stay with her. It seems to work for them

hth :)