PDA

View Full Version : A tip for teaching a child to catch

Minstrel
22-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I have two mindees and my ds all aged 3 and this week we have been learning to throw and catch. It wasn't going too well untill I came up with the idea of using balloons. They love it and find it much easier obv because they travel slower. They have all increased their co-ordination and confidence and we are moving on to balls very soon.

Hope this helps others xxx

Zoomie
22-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for that.

Did you do this outside, or inside ?

I worry abt balloons popping (I have a phobia).

Minstrel
22-03-2010, 06:23 PM
We did it inside as it was really windy here.

I don't particularly like balloons either but I (actually DH) didn't blow them up too big. They have less chance of popping if they aren't stretch to within an inch of their lives and mostly just shrivel up.

jelly15
22-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for that.

Me too. One popped next to my ear as achild and I had ringing in it for days, have been scared ever scince (but have had to hide it from DSs).

birch24
22-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Its weird isnt it, we all have a phobia of balloons and we still pretend we haven't and give them to our children. I hate them they are horrible things! lol

:blush: :laughing: :blush: :laughing: :blush:

hello kitty
22-03-2010, 07:35 PM
We play tennis with balloons, bend a wire coathangar into a bat shape sorry, I mean racquet shape and cover with tights and hey presto tennis racquets. :D

Princess Sara
22-03-2010, 07:55 PM
You can get hold of balloon bags that regular balloons fit inside, that way if they pop there's no choke hazard, the noise is reduced and they shrivel up a lot slower. Great for the balloon phobias.

Oh and if you can't get hold of one, stick the balloon inside a t-shirt and tie it up!

HTH.

babs
22-03-2010, 07:59 PM
i hate balloons and lo's all seem to put them in their mouths makes me feel sick..( not my lo's ones at party's )...

SammyM
22-03-2010, 08:36 PM
We use beach balls - a lot less pop!!

Desi-101
22-03-2010, 09:47 PM
My ds now two was kicking a ball and catching one as soon as he could walk! (football) I was surprised and am still not sure if this is normal for a 1 yr old! He catches tennis balls and throws them to me we play catch!

suzyblue
23-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I tend to use bean bags for throwing, catching and for the older ones, juggling. The bean bags are easier to grasp than balls.

Tinglesnark
23-03-2010, 08:11 AM
fab ideas! thanks !
:thumbsup:

Toothfairy
23-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

We should have a 'Tips' thread.

A tip for keeping little one ocupied while changing their nappy, is to put a sticker on the back of their hand. They are concentrating so much on trying to get the sticker off, they stop fidgeting and trying to pull the nappy away. :D

Wizbit80
24-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that.

me too i hate balloons popping -

scarves cut up are good for catching as its slower - thanks for the tip:)