PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start? Plz help

Jacksmemmy
22-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi, my names alisa and I stay near Falkirk, Scotland. I am looking to get into childminding as I have a three year old son and I'm finding it hard regarding childcare. I have no qualifications in this field other than first aid, I would appreciate any help and advice on this matter, ie; courses or training. Thanks

crazyhazy
22-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi, I'm just starting out too, about to be registered in the next week or so. To start with I contacted my local care commission and asked for the application form. I know in some areas they want you to do the scma course before they give you the form but they don;t run one here. have a look at the scma website aswell, www.childminding.org

hth

Blackhorse
23-03-2010, 07:47 AM
you dont need any other formal qualification.

the scma induction training is not mandatory yet but a good starting point. If the courses are not run in your area then you can ask to get the paperwork sent to your home and do it like a distance learning course.
you can always also phone their helpline for information

local cc is a good idea too they will send you an appliction pack and some info.

you will need a 2 day paediatric first aid course as part of registration and CC want you to do a course in child protection which might be organised by scma in your area as well but they will let you know. if you register after april I believe you might have to reg as food business if you are going to serve food but I have been told that is easy
You have to have mains powered smoke alarms fitted in your house too

any other qualification or courses you can do if you want but dont have to and you dont need them to register!

hope I havent mortified you with too much info but it is really quite straight forward...and you found this forum so all the information you could ever want is either already on here or you just ask the question!

good luck!

kiantel1
31-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I am based in Arbroath and our local council runs a pre-registration course for 6 weeks that covers the basics and tells you about forms etc etc and gives u an insite to what the job entails try checking with your local council it is free and you get lots of other course to child protection, first aid, food hygiene etc etc hope this helps. liza