PDA

View Full Version : Update form SCMA vision review meeting last weekend

Blackhorse
22-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi,

As some of you will know, I am an elected member of SCMA and so on their board of directors. I attended the spring vision review meeting and thought I might post a couple of things that I found out.

Food Hygiene and courses
Local authorities are working towards childminders getting registered as a food business if you do more than give the kids their packed lunches. Newly registering cm's will have to register as part of their registratin process from the beginning of April I believe.
For existing childminders this will be rolled out over the coming months. Some LA's have already done this and from the cm's that have gone through this I got told it was very easy and straight forward. 1 A4 application form and a quick visit (although that might not always happen)
I asked whether it would make sense to be proactive and get registered right away and was advised against it because seemingly not all LA's have rolled out training or information about this to all their health inspectors so they might at this point in time give you the wrong information. So I think it is best to wait until we get asked.

As for training on food hygiene, there was confusion amongst CCOs and CMs if it was ok to do it online or whether you have to do a tutor led course. I was told it is up to you what you seem fit for your business.

We raised the concerns that sometimes different CCOs ask for different things and we want to have more briefing sheets on what training is required and how often so that if you have a CCO that wants something different you can challenge this with some backup information.

Other than that we were working on the future vision and where SCMA is heading and how certain things might be improved. We also started working on a manifesto for the potential new government after the next election. It was a lot of hard work but also very interesting.

If I think of anything else that might be relevant I post it....also if anyone wants to know more please feel free to ask.....

Alibali
22-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for that Nicole, I agree about the differences between CCO's - lets hope they get it sorted soon.

Curly Quavers
22-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey,

Thanks for that - I have actually just this week made the decision to ask for packed lunches from parents and only supply snack to my children I'm glad now :)

sarah707
22-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Thank you for sharing! It sounds like you had a very productive weekend :D