PDA

View Full Version : So, when no one eats their lunch.....

donnagwynne
18-03-2008, 01:24 PM
.....what do you do??????????

Would someone please remind me.

Do you search the cupboards frantically for something they will eat???
Even if it is a different thing for each child???:angry:

Do you give them dessert anyway, although some will not even entertain home made rice pudding??

Or what??

Any suggestions please!!11

ma7ie
18-03-2008, 01:26 PM
If they don't eat the food here, the only thing on offer after that is fruit. :D

Banana
18-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Quite simple -they go hungry!

I will not tolerate messing around at mealtimes - as soon as they get to know that they learn to eat everything you put infront of them...

and NO, most definitly no pudding

x

Tily Bud
18-03-2008, 01:27 PM
if they do not eat lunch they do not get pudding !

all of my mindees parents send lunch so i know it is things that they like and will usually eat , if they refuse to eat it they do not get pudding xx

Rubybubbles
18-03-2008, 01:29 PM
They bring their own packed lunch:D

Sorry no help really , what sort of thing do you all mean by pudding? (oh just sn rice pudding:D oh yum I'll come!!) As we only have sandwiches ect they only have yougurt after here

crazybones
18-03-2008, 01:30 PM
It depends on the circumstances. I have just given mine a rather dark looking pizza with carrot sticks and baby corn. Hmmmm wonder why the veg got eaten first for a change. They did actually eat it, except for os who knows the rules. No dinner - no dessert, although I did burn it. How old are the kids, what did you give them and are they just being awkward? Is it something they can come back too later? If my lo's dont eat something I may give a larger snack later on but wouldnt give dessert. If the older ones dont eat it - they understand the rules.

sarah707
18-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I've just sat through a chimp's tea party so I totally sympathise... :(

Pudding Girl
18-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't actually hold with the no pudding thing, sorry! I find it makes food into a "thing".and that is something I feel EXTREMELY strongly about - food being used as treats, rewards, withholding as a sanction. It's something my CCO and I discussed actually and she said it was good to see someone not withholding food in this way. Whatever I have made, they get served with, if they don't eat it tough really. I have reoffered things at snack time which are then eaten, or if they really don't eat anything, there's always a snack about 2 hrs later anyway, so need to go hungry.
I also write it in their diaries so parents know what's been eaten

My mindees tend to eat well at brekkie and not lunch or vice versa, and no way of telling what day it will be either.

Alibali
18-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Never had a fussy eater yet, and all my own eat anything too. I'm dreading the day I get a fussy one cos I won't know what to do.

Alison x

donnagwynne
18-03-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't actually hold with the no pudding thing, sorry! .

I have it written into my heathly eating policy that pudding will be given even if the lunch is not eaten. But to be honest I sometimes serve it with gritted teeth because I'm not happy to do it, but pudding is planned to form part of the meal, it is either heavy in fruit or in milk i.e. rice pudding depending on what was for lunch.

They didn't eat the pudding either.

Lunch was pizza, made with wholemeal pitta bread, organic passata and fresh mozzarella, and there was a tray of carrot sticks, cucumber, tomatoes and apple. It looked delicious!!!

It is very demoralising.

crazybones
18-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I have it written into my heathly eating policy that pudding will be given even if the lunch is not eaten. But to be honest I sometimes serve it with gritted teeth because I'm not happy to do it, but pudding is planned to form part of the meal, it is either heavy in fruit or in milk i.e. rice pudding depending on what was for lunch.

Lunch was pizza, made with wholemeal pitta bread, organic passata and fresh mozzarella, and there was a tray of carrot sticks, cucumber, tomatoes and apple. It looked delicious!!!

It is very demoralising.

Send the pizza here. Mine didnt look delicious, yours sounds much better :laughing:

Rubybubbles
18-03-2008, 02:34 PM

It is very demoralising.

oh yummy, I really need to log off and get some lunch droolllling !! Then wake kids for school run, oh how the time flys

sarah32
18-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Im having the same problem with 2 year i look after, one day she'll eat it, the next she wont and if you say to her try and eat some she just bursts into tears and thats lunch over. Mum brings food so I know she likes it.

I dont give dessert if she doesnt eat her lunch. She gets a snack after shes wakes up so she would always eat this if she doesnt eat lunch.

son77
18-03-2008, 02:51 PM
My mindee eats great, but my 2 year old dd is terrible.

Some days I'm following her round the house with her dinner hoping she will eat it whilst playing & therefore not actually thinking about eating dinner, just to get something inside of her. Terrible I know but if I didnt Im sure she just wouldnt eat.

ma7ie
18-03-2008, 02:59 PM
My mindee eats great, but my 2 year old dd is terrible.

I'm exactly the same at the moment, "T" my 17 month mindee eats like a horse. He's a big lad, but not fat and he quite happily eats virtually adult portions. God knows where he puts it!!!

On the other hand, my dd who is just 2yrs hardly eats a thing. I've given up trying to get her to now. I figure she'll eat when she's hungry and I'm lucky that she does like fruit and some veg so I feel a bit happier.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
18-03-2008, 03:01 PM
They don't get anything else or if they do it is just a piece of fruit.

Lorraine xx

KIMWY
18-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I gave up getting worked up over this years ago!
If they don't eat the meal I offer then they have to wait till snack time for piece of fruit.
The children themselves don't worry if they dont eat lunch or tea so I dont worry either.

Kim

fionamal
18-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Im much the same. They dont eat lunch they dont get pudding and have to wait until they get snack later in the afternoon .

They soon learn to eat lunch after a couple of days.

Monkey1
18-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I was much harder with my own kids growing up, but now i am more chilled. If the mindees dont eat lunch they still get pudding,if they dont eat that...tough till snack time! I have a 2 year old that has eaten less than a sparrow for 12 months since his mum died so i am gratefull if i get anything in him! I tell his grandparents they must plug him in to the electric socket at night time to recharge him cause he definatly gets his energy from another sauce!
Today they had savoury mince served with new potatoes, carrots peas and sweetcorn. He had 1 mouth full , the other 3 cleared the plate. They had a fruit yogurt for pud. I could not with hold his pud and give it to the others.
My moto is they will eat when they are hungry!
I did however refuse his request of a biscuit 20 minutes later! But at snack time he ate two rounds of toast and got a sticker for his efforts!:D

Michelle M
18-03-2008, 06:42 PM
If they dont eat lunch there's no pudding, they have to wait until snack, thankfully this doesnt happen often. Fruit is on offer at all times :)

deeb66
18-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I do not withhold pudding either.

If they don't eat their lunch then they go without. I will not run around and make up loads of different things to offer....that only causes problems in the long run.

As I said I give them pudding and then nothing else until snack time. If a child is really hungry say an hour later or so then I will bring snack time forward as I don't like to see them hungry.

buildingblocks
18-03-2008, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Lou_M;87962]I don't actually hold with the no pudding thing, sorry! I find it makes food into a "thing".and that is something I feel EXTREMELY strongly about - food being used as treats, rewards, withholding as a sanction. QUOTE]

I don't actully offer pudding until everyone has finished their main if that makes sense and most of the time it is only fruit or yoghurt anyway. Either everyone has pudding or no one but they have no idea if there should have been a pudding mind you I am very lucky with the children I have at the moment

flora
18-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Two of mine are fussy and four are not. With the fussy two, I just gave them smaller meals and just kept adjusting it till eventually they were eating most of it and trying at least a a bite of stuff.

As long as they have made an "effort" to eat I give pudding and sometimes depending on their mood, they get it regarddless.

I never do no dinner no pudding, my mum did that and I hated it :mad:

Perks of being grown up.... I can please my self and make up the rules :clapping:

Heaven Scent
18-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I think this is a much more serious problem than you think and you shouldn't be so hard on the poor children if no one eats their lunch - think about it could it have anything to do with the cook and her abilities as a cook????????????? My own dear mother had the same problem a great deal of the time.:ROFL1::ROFL1: :joker:

Do you think its about time you employed the services of a good chief I'm sure Sarahnev would have no hesitation in recommending somone good to you:joker: :ROFL1: :joker: :ROFL1: :joker:

Celine

miffy
18-03-2008, 09:59 PM
If they don't eat the food here, the only thing on offer after that is fruit. :D

I do the same

Miffy xx

Schnakes
18-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't actually hold with the no pudding thing, sorry! I find it makes food into a "thing".and that is something I feel EXTREMELY strongly about - food being used as treats, rewards, withholding as a sanction

Agree 100%. The only "pudding" I serve here is a fruit salad or one/two yogurts, and as far as Im concerned, that meal is just as important as the one served before. (lunch,dinner,b/fast etc). I dont care who eats what when. What I DO care about is whether or not the children have had their RDA of each food type. And I'll make sure that by the days end, by hook or by crook, they'll have it.
The worst thing you can do, imo, about food, is to make a big song and dance about it.

Table manners on the other hand....Im as strict as they come!! :D :littleangel:

Sx

wendywu
19-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes i am the same if they dont eat any lunch (not all) then all they get offered for pudding is fruit.:)

Pudding Girl
19-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Table manners on the other hand....Im as strict as they come!! :D :littleangel:

Sx

oooh goodness, me too ;)

devoncm
19-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree with banana if they dont eat it they go hungery. its worked with my own they used to be so fussy and just eat rubbish, now they eat spag bol curries anything if they dont eat there is nothing else. my step son tries it on but if he knows he wont get a biscuit or something else he will sit and eat all he takes it back to the table until plate is empty.

I dont have one rule for mine and another for mindees thats not fair, i live by my house my rules.

allinatiz
19-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I've not come across this yet as my mindee eats everything I put in front of her but if she didn't eat what was on offer (and I would offer pudding if she didn't eat her main course) she would be going hungry until snack time!

Kelly
19-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I will always offer pudding even if the children do not want all/some of their lunch. They would have to wait until everyone finnishes their lunch, sometimes they will end up eating whilst they wait!

Sarah pointed out that 'mum provides the lunch, so I know she likes it' I have to say my parents provide lunch and sometimes they put things in that the children do not like, but the parents like the look of it, for example one parent always provides an apple, I have told her that 'C' does not like them and will not eat them, but still.....

Kelly

Schnakes
19-03-2008, 03:59 PM
will sit and eat all he takes it back to the table until plate is empty.
/

Nutritionists and psychologists would definately not recomned that.

Sx

sarah32
19-03-2008, 04:05 PM
The little girl I look after is a bit of a nightmare with food. She does like the food mum provides as one day she will eat and another she just wont eat anything. Like some people said she has to sit at the table until everyone has finished and sometimes she will start eating it.

I went through it with my kids and now they pretty well eat anything.