PDA

View Full Version : please help me on this one xxx

charliegee
22-03-2010, 07:52 AM
hello eveyone - sorry to post this twice (I also put in member area) - but I know the mum of LO has a doctors appointment first thing so will be ringing me soon to find out what happens RE childminding so I need to know what to tell them.

(sorry to be a pest :blush: )

Hope you have had a good weekend?

I got a phonecall about 10pm last night to say my mindee not coming today (monday!) as they have chicken pox - first spots yesterday - parent sure as they can be that is what it is.

I only look after my own and this other little one (with chicken pox) on mondays and tuesdays but on wednesdays / thursdays have my own and two other little ones.

Little one with chickenpox never mixes with the other mindees (only with my LO) and my LO has no spots yet (touch wood!)

My policy is child must stay away from setting until last spot has crusted over BUT do I have to tell the parents of the other little ones (who don't attend with the child with chicken pox) - and tell them "one of the children who comes to childminding has chicken pox"

OR would this be a breach of confidentiality and instead only tell them about chicken pox IF my little one gets it?

ahh sorry for post I'm just so confused!

One of the mums who's child comes on the wednesdays is trying for a baby / may be pregnant possibly.....so I just don't know what to do for the best!

please help!

sorry to have rambled but basically

1 - is it okay for me to exclude until VERY last spot has scabbed and is dry
2 - do I have to inform the other parents that although their child hasn't been incontact with the chicken pox - it has been in the setting (if that makes sense!)

xxx

hello kitty
22-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I would tell everyone that there has been a case of chickenpox in the setting, especially if a mum is trying for another baby. Chickenpox, as you know is contagious before the spots appear so she should be warned. Yes, I also exclude until all spots crusted over.

Hth. :)

Mollymop
22-03-2010, 08:04 AM
As Kitty says. x

suzyblue
22-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Same here. Exclude until spots have crusted over and let parents know.

PixiePetal
22-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I usually say chicken pox is doing the rounds and if another child has it would say but not name. Mine all meet at sometime in the week so would all be exposed anyway though :rolleyes:

TammyN
22-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Yeah i agree exclude until spots have crusted.
i did continue minding when a mindee had them but i only had her and my lo's have already had it but that was what me and oh agreed? child was not poorly with them at all luckily or i wouldn't have.
defo tell your other parents that it's in setting!

charliegee
22-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Thank you so much for your replies everyone - you're lifesavers!

that's one of my problems / questions really....

I don't know where I stand on the whole "scabs crusting over" issue

I read on the HPA website that exclusion should be 5 days from onset of spots BUT to be honest, I don't want to have child back until the very last scab has crusted and dried

(I know people for whom chicken pox has been v serious so want to minimise infection as it were)

surely - for very last scab to be dry - could be 10-14 days?

never had experience of chicken pox before!

x

Chatterbox Childcare
22-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Every case is different and I don't think you can put a time frame on its length

I had one who went home Thursday morning and was back the following Thursday whereas others can be shorter or longer term.

You need to tell the other parents as their little ones could have caught it prior to the stops appearing as each case is contagious 10 days before the spots appear.

charliegee
22-03-2010, 08:43 AM
thanks everyone

I will inform other parents it has been doing the rounds as it were

sorry to get obcessed with scabs crusting... (!) but I don't want parents to get angry and in the same light, I personally don't want to take the child until the scabs are pretty much gone

....how can I word this when they speak to me? - this parent will often send me their child sick and not (I feel) be upfront about it (sorry if that offends anyone reading!)

how can I word it all? - don't want to be accused of not being inclusive or something if I refuse a child with spots!

(could that happen??!!)

sorry but so so stuck and getting in a right tizz!!:panic: :blush:

was going to say...

must stay away until the very last scab has crusted over and the skin is dry -I will add as advised that a def timescale is difficullt to say as each case must be taken on its own.

ahhhh dreading speaking to the parent - I get so flustered!

I know they will just want to know "when can they come back??"

x

crazyhazy
22-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Just to say obviously the time scale varies from child to child, but my own lo has chicken pox at the moment, she had 3 spots on Monday night and I wondered but nothing more until tuesday evening when loads appeared, she has been off preschool since then but will be going back today as they have now all scabbed over.

Goatgirl
22-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi :),
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/chickenpox.htm

This link has some sensible advice and says that the 5 days is the average for all spots to appear and crust over. In your position I'd say to the Mum in question, that LO cannot come back to the setting for at least the 5 days and if Lo still has spots which haven't scabbed over by that time it will be longer. She may not like it but the same rule will apply to everyone and you can point out that its you who stands to lose the most income because others may not want to use your setting knowing that your LO is potentially contagious...
Just be strong. Point out that you have to think about other people in your setting, so although your DD doesn't have spots she may have caught the virus and may also pass it on until all her spots have scabbed over.

Poor you: hope your Lo doesn't have it.

bws,
Wendy

charliegee
22-03-2010, 10:18 AM
thank you so so much everyone for your replys

going to say as advised that must be until all scabs are crusted over and stay strong

(goodness...don't know where I'd be without this forum!!!)

no word from parent yet

but (and sorry to go on....! again..!) :blush:

if I say to all parents there's been chicken pox in the setting but my LO not spotty (but as you say could technically be in the contagious period) and parents of other children choose not to send their chidl on the chance that their lo catches it from my lo (all if's here!!)

...woudl I charge as technically my LO doesn't (as we know) have it yet (ie isn't spotty)

gosh what a ramble I've just done!!! sorry

xxxx

LisaMcNally09
22-03-2010, 10:33 AM
All you have to say is its not your lo so you will be charging for not sending their child:D

charliegee
22-03-2010, 10:40 AM
thanks everyone

will keep you updated so if anyone searches on "chicken pox" hopefully this will be a useful thread

edited to add...just got a phonecall from LO's dad - it is chicken pox - poor little mite

I think one of my wednesday parents will be a bit funny about it to be honest when I think about it but will explain all

thanks everyone

auntym
22-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I would just advise the parent of child with chickenpox that it is until last spot scabbed over, whether it be within or over the 5 days cannot be helped.
I would advise other parents a child you care for has been diagnosed with chicken pox, and should just be aware.
Advise for all other children its business as usual unless they themselves should show symptoms.
If any parent decides to keep child away 'just in case' which I very much doubt, they still pay you.
Your available so therefor you charge x x x