View Full Version : Childminding Overnight Question

18-03-2008, 01:00 PM

I have just joined this group. I am looking for an answer to a couple of questions that one of my 'mums' has, so I really hope someone here can help. I have just started looking after a friends 2 children. She wants to start working a couple of nights a week. As she wont get any help unless she gets a registered childminder to have her kids, and she doesnt have anyone else to ask, and I am not yet allowed to have children overnight as a registered childminder, can I still be her childminder if I look after the children in her own home whilst they are asleep? Also.... if I dont get paid for it, can I have them, like I have always done before she started working, overnight as my friends?

We both look forward to any answers you may have!!

Thanks for reading.


18-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I have always been very happy to look after children until late on the odd occasion parents have needed me - in my own house.

Looking after children in their house, however, is a tricky one. While parents can ask some spotty 16 year old to babysit and give them £loads an hour, it's a bit more difficult when it's a childminder.

I remember asking this question a while ago and getting a resounding 'no' from people on here... I will be interested to see if the replies are the same this time. :D

18-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry I really dont know the answer on this one!

Can you not phone ofsted & ask them to register you for overnight care?

Im sure when ofsted came out to me & she asked if I wanted to do overnight care & I replied, mmm don't think so! She said if I change my mind then I just need to give them a ring.

Sorry not much help.

18-03-2008, 02:28 PM
I would just get Ofsted to register you for overnight care, that way there is no problem.

Its a bit of a tricky one. And something I would call and discuss with Ofsted but me personally I would not have the children in my home even it it was for free as ordianrily they are still your mindees


Heaven Scent
18-03-2008, 03:01 PM
You are registered to care for children in your home - and that is the only place you can be paid as a childminder. I'm pretty sure you can register as a childminder in the childrens own home but I'm sure that if you did that then you could only mind there. You can also become a registered Nanny to mind in other peoples homes - I don't know what that involves. But I wonder if you could register as a childminder in your home by day and a a Nanny in their home by night - if the mum is adament that the children are minded in their home. The simplest thing I think would be to contact Ofsted about being registered for overnight care and have the children at your house. I'm registered for overnight care and it didn't seem to require any extra special with regard to jputting policies and practices into place - I just had a visit from the firemen but that is not a requirement as they have changed their role now so can only fit smoke alarms and give general advice about fire safety and ecape routes.The only reason you need to be registered for them to give financial help to your friend is so that they can try to get some of it back from you in tax if you are not clever enough for them!!!!!!!!!! I even decided how many children I would be happy to look after over night. I said three so that I could keep a family together in case social services contacted me for emergency care.


18-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I had asked this question a few months ago to Scottish Care Commission and was told as long as it was for no longer than 2 hours in their own home.

I know that there are differences from Scottish and English/welsh laws so not sure really.

18-03-2008, 03:44 PM
HOw would it work if you used the NCMA babysitter contracts for the evening? Would she be able to get help if you were a registered childminder doing contracted babysitting? Does that make sense?

18-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I would look into your insurance, first and foremost. You are registered as a childminder in your OWN home, which, hopefully has been checked and up to the right standards. If you were to go to someone elses home, and something, god forbid, happens to the kids, i am not sure you would have a leg to stand on? (if you were doing it for money??? as friends, very grey area. friends are friends until something awful happens and then everyone looks for someone to blame). I would be careful and get it all checked properly first so that you are covered! xxx hope this helps. (and just my personal view!)

18-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I think the easiest way round this is to register for overnight care in your own home if that is what you want to do

Celine is right you can register to look after children in their own home that is called a home child carer and will allow the parent to claim benefits like working tax credit


Miffy xx