PDA

View Full Version : advice please

Hopscotch
18-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I have a child with me today who has got quite long fingernails and he keeps scratching his face. he has already got 2 scratch marks on his face do i clip his fingernails?, i don't know what to do i cannot get hold of mum to ask her but i don't want to do it without permision and at the same time i don't want her to say why didn't you clip them if he has scratches on his face what would you do.
Bev X:panic:

custardcream
18-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I have cut a childs finger nails in the past, dont know if i should have, but he scratched himself and another child and made them bleed, so i did it for his and others safety.
Parent was really glad as she couldnt cut them.

fionamal
18-03-2008, 10:59 AM
If you cant get a hold of the parent then I would cut them, especially if they are scratching themselves quite badly.

crazybones
18-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I have cut a childs finger nails in the past, dont know if i should have, but he scratched himself and another child and made them bleed, so i did it for his and others safety.
Parent was really glad as she couldnt cut them.

I did exactly the same - Mum was fine and said I could do it all the time because she wouldnt let her do it. Dont know if we are allowed without permission - I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with mum as to whether there would be a problem

sarah707
18-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I used to have one little boy who would only let me do his nails! I used to use the file and he would sit good as gold and play finger counting games while I smoothed them down.

I wouldn't see a problem - esp not if they are a hazard. I would just make a note in your book that you've done it. Maybe best to use a file though rather than scissors in case you nick skin if he moves :D

John
19-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Me i would not cut a child;s finger nails because if you go ahead and the nail to cut to far down that brakes the skin, you can be in big trouble. Some parent's can be funny and if they want and have the right to take you to court. Let we all know we need everything in writing now just to cover you, getting off the subject a childminder i was talking to nealy lost her childminding job as she took the child to the hair dressers.

Just try to keep the child away from the other children until you see mum.

John.