PDA

View Full Version : FIRE!!!

balloon
20-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I thought I'd share what we do for fire practice on here in case it's of any use to others...

Because the whole press the red button on the smoke alarm was getting a bit stale (plus I knew when I was going to do it!) I now have an arrangement with the other CMs in my area that we randomly phone each other and say "You have a fire in your (insert room) get out now!!" This is a far better marker of how well we're doing as I never know when it's going to happen and every phone call is obviously not a fire practice so we're not ready for it every time the phone rings. Plus we sometimes deliberately block each other's fire exits by having the fire right there making the minder think on her feet and the children ok with a quick change of plan.

When I get the phone call I yell out "FIRE" and the practice begins. So far we have it down to 51 seconds with everybody out and everything as it should be. I even remembered the dog!

To ensure the kiddies also go out if the smoke alarm goes off I also practice with that. It's amazing how quickly they can all get out of the house when I'm burning the toast!!

babs
20-03-2010, 06:38 PM
thats a great way to practice ..... mind u i cudn't run outside shouting fire id have the fireman next door running round, just like he did when he heard me screaming when a rat came into my kitchen he found my on top of my dinner table and the rat hiding behide my cooker.. was way before i started minding but he still reminds me of it.

jelly15
20-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Think that is a great idea, will suggest it to CM friend :thumbsup:

SparklingGems
20-03-2010, 09:18 PM
That sounds like a fantastic idea.

Bet you all have some fun to blocking eachothers escape routes etc

Leanne59
20-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Whats a great ideas, will tell other cms!!

margimum
20-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Tried this a few months back. Worked well except mindee(4) insisted we get my DH out of bed and out of the house!!(He was working nights)He was rather:angry: :angry: , but I said at least mindee cared.:blush:

angeldelight
21-03-2010, 02:37 AM
That sounds great

Angel xx

little_gems
21-03-2010, 11:56 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Tried this a few months back. Worked well except mindee(4) insisted we get my DH out of bed and out of the house!!(He was working nights)He was rather:angry: :angry: , but I said at least mindee cared.:blush:

sandy64
21-03-2010, 12:15 PM
thanks thats a great idea and keeps you on your toes il have to try it:)

ajs
21-03-2010, 12:29 PM
still waiting for miffy to call me.

keep planning on doing this with a friend but haven't got round to it yet
thanks for the reminder oiabm

Alibali
21-03-2010, 06:59 PM
What a good idea.