PDA

View Full Version : Warning over baby slings...

Blaze
20-03-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259358/Yummy-mummy-baby-slings-kill.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo

If a sling is needed I HIGHLY recommend this one:

http://www.hugabub.com/flex/position_hugabub/88/1

(the original hugabub - around £65 in the uk)

...it is not the same as those mentioned in the article.

Spangles
20-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I have wondered about this before; if they could suffocate a baby. Chloe didn't like the one I got so I've not been able to use it anyway. I've been using a babybjorn one which she didn't like until she was 4 months old but now she loves it!

Blaze
20-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I loved my Baby Bjorn one - problem is my eldest outgrew it soooo quickly - when J was born I had discovered the hugabub:thumbsup:

Spangles
20-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Yep babybjorn is so comfy! She gets right the giggles in it!

The deaths could be down to cot death as these deaths can occur anywhere baby is sleeping though, might not be the slings I guess. Very sad indeed though, can't imagine looking down and finding your baby had died while you were holding her/him. Must be absolutely awful.

(Thought you were going for a couple of weeks? Glad you haven't!!)

Blaze
20-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I know - makes me feel like crying - just the thought (shudder)!:(

...I was supposed to be - I could loose interent at anytime! I don't have email or TV ...perhaps they forgot about the internet connection - I hope so!:)

nannymcflea
20-03-2010, 01:17 PM
So it's slings now instead of co-sleeping! Wonder when the mail will go back to that one!:angry:

Blaze
20-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I think it's just one specific type of sling.

nannymcflea
20-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I think it's just one specific type of sling.

Sorry Blaze, wasn't having a go at you but I do think that seeing this will discourage some parents to do what millions of people all over the world do naturally every day.

People see using a sling as something abnormal when it is fantastic and helps the bonding process and BF is easier.:)

I used a maya wrap (ring sling) then an ergo and people used to think I was weird that I wanted to hold my baby close!:eek:

I didn't like the babybjorn as it wasn't recommended for under 4 months old due to pressure on the babys spine at such a young age.(though I did have one)

I do feel that the "free press" jump on things without proper research and make doing things like co-sleeping or sling using a bit "odd" to those who have never considered or who actually may benefit.:(

Blaze
20-03-2010, 02:09 PM
My Babybjorn was recommended by the hospital for prem babies (my eldest was prem - she was a hefalump though & outgrew it really quickly)...I have used slings with all of mine & co - slept with mine too....I know what you mean about the press jusmping on things!:( ...hence why I made a point of recommending a sling.:thumbsup:

sweets
20-03-2010, 03:33 PM
ive never used a sling as never really liked the look of them, but i know people who have and they love them.

What confused me tho is nowadays we are all told that leaving babies to sleep in carseats is bad as they should be laid flat, the same as why some prams are for 3-6mnths plus because they dont lay flat. but why is it ok to have a tiny baby sleeping in a sling where they are all curled up. i'm sure they like it and are very cosy but isnt it bad for their backs?

Not wanting to offend anyone that uses them, just curious :)

Spangles
20-03-2010, 03:51 PM
No sweets, i know what you mean, I've thought the same thing as well. Don't look good for their backs at all but I guess they must be okay.

babs
20-03-2010, 04:20 PM
ive never used a sling so i cant really comment on them but it does worry me when i see ppl with them on what happens if they fall can happen to any one at any time just a little worry of mine...

Tinglesnark
20-03-2010, 04:41 PM
oooh im a sling bearing baby wearer! ive only just stopped carry ds2 as he is incredibly huge. i would never carry my babies any other way whilst they are small enough for me to do so :D but then i dont read newspapers or watch the news so im not sure what that says about me?! lol

i adore my closer sling and have a few others but never got on with my baby bjorn. it isnt comfortable after you have worn a proper sling :D

balloon
20-03-2010, 06:24 PM
ive never used a sling so i cant really comment on them but it does worry me when i see ppl with them on what happens if they fall can happen to any one at any time just a little worry of mine...

I don't use a sling at the moment but I used to with my own children and fell over at one point. What I did was put my hands out to save myself and the baby from getting hurt just as you would do if you fell over without a sling on. :)

Had I been carrying him in my arms I would have surely dropped him and possibly landed on top of him. (Couldn't be in a buggy as the terrain wasn't suitable)

I don't like the slings as in the article much but do have a Closer sling which is fab. I'm looking forward to it getting some use in September :)

Chell
21-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Another pathetic Daily Mail article, I saw the headline and photo and decided not to waste my time reading it. The photograph showed a celeb wearing a sling to protect the baby from the press. It wasn't worn in the correct position, it looked so uncomfortable.

Daily Mail = :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

As far as infant death is concerned, I thought the risk was lower. The baby is close to its parent/carer and mimics their breathing pattern.

crazyhazy
21-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I never liked the look of those types of slings anyway, can't imagine they are that comfy when the baby is not being held close to you. I did love my hugabub though!

LOOPYLISA
21-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Me too, hence dd never had one :thumbsup:

singingcactus
22-03-2010, 08:03 AM
It is a specific style of sling that is causing concern - here is an article about it
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/safety.php
I loved my wrap sling and so did my boy, he was within my sight the entire time he was in my sling, and his face was never covered and his neck was always in the correct position. If I ever fell over forwards then I too would have put my hands down to prevent my own face smashing into the floor as well as to prevent my son becoming injured. If I was to ever have another child then I would not even bother with a pushchair at all for him, I would get another wrap sling - but NEVER one of these holdall style slings that are causing the concern.

mamasheshe
22-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Sorry Blaze, wasn't having a go at you but I do think that seeing this will discourage some parents to do what millions of people all over the world do naturally every day.

People see using a sling as something abnormal when it is fantastic and helps the bonding process and BF is easier.:)

I used a maya wrap (ring sling) then an ergo and people used to think I was weird that I wanted to hold my baby close!:eek:

I didn't like the babybjorn as it wasn't recommended for under 4 months old due to pressure on the babys spine at such a young age.(though I did have one)

I do feel that the "free press" jump on things without proper research and make doing things like co-sleeping or sling using a bit "odd" to those who have never considered or who actually may benefit.:(

i used a maya wrap and it was brilliant i don't see how you would suffocate a baby using it correctly :rolleyes: i also made a mai tai one which was also good but preferred my maya wrap:clapping:

mamasheshe
22-03-2010, 02:49 PM
ive never used a sling as never really liked the look of them, but i know people who have and they love them.

What confused me tho is nowadays we are all told that leaving babies to sleep in carseats is bad as they should be laid flat, the same as why some prams are for 3-6mnths plus because they dont lay flat. but why is it ok to have a tiny baby sleeping in a sling where they are all curled up. i'm sure they like it and are very cosy but isnt it bad for their backs?

i still carried dd2 in a sling at 3-6 months you start to put them in a upright possession or even on your back and only lay them down if they fall asleep :D

singingcactus
22-03-2010, 06:53 PM

It is the length of time a baby is being left in car seats these days that is causing the problems - they are often in them to feed, then sleep, then carried to the car, then put on the pushchair chassis, then back in the car and finally only taken out to have a nappy change before being put back in again.
Good slings don't curve the child's back in the way car seat do, and the child's weight is not all pushed onto his hips it is distributed across his entire well supported body. Also it would be very unlikely for the mum to stand in one position for so many hours keeping the child in one position (like is the case with a car seat). The mum would be moving and adjusting the sling whilst she wears it, and would take it off after a much shorter period of time which will allow the child's body to change position.
The car seat position is an entirely different thing to wearing slings, both in position and timeframe.

sweets
22-03-2010, 06:55 PM
It is the length of time a baby is being left in car seats these days that is causing the problems - they are often in them to feed, then sleep, then carried to the car, then put on the pushchair chassis, then back in the car and finally only taken out to have a nappy change before being put back in again.
Good slings don't curve the child's back in the way car seat do, and the child's weight is not all pushed onto his hips it is distributed across his entire well supported body. Also it would be very unlikely for the mum to stand in one position for so many hours keeping the child in one position (like is the case with a car seat). The mum would be moving and adjusting the sling whilst she wears it, and would take it off after a much shorter period of time which will allow the child's body to change position.
The car seat position is an entirely different thing to wearing slings, both in position and timeframe.

thankyou for explaining! it makes good sense.:)

Pipsqueak
22-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Haven't women carried babies in slings for centuries?

Pop one out, back on your feet, wrap baby up close against your body (and eventually slung on their backs when they get big enough) and out to work again????

Blackhorse
22-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Haven't women carried babies in slings for centuries?

Pop one out, back on your feet, wrap baby up close against your body (and eventually slung on their backs when they get big enough) and out to work again????

just what I was thinking Pip

I loved my sling and so did dd.
I took her for nice walks and really enjoyed not having to push the pushchair and having her close

and it is the parents responsibility to ensure the child can breath in it..like it would be if child is in a pushchair with a blanket over it's head....

It is all about how you use things...it reminds me of babies that have died because they were left in a babywalker upstairs without a safety gate on the stairs and feel down...that cannot be blamed on the babywalker either....in my mind

Desi-101
22-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Sorry haven't read all posts, but am replying to original post!

I grew up in Africa, and never once saw a sling like all the celebs use! maybe its from middle east I'm not sure! I personally would not trust one!

In Africa a baby is carred from newborn on the back in a large blanket and I myself was carried like that by my nanny, see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWItHnkfLl8

Hope the link works its great!

Blackhorse
23-03-2010, 07:35 AM
that is what we learned at our sling meeting on how to carry a child on the back...but even the other carrying methods of front and side are different to the celeb-slings....which I think are as someone already mentioned designed to hide baby....

singingcactus
23-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Sorry haven't read all posts, but am replying to original post!

I grew up in Africa, and never once saw a sling like all the celebs use! maybe its from middle east I'm not sure! I personally would not trust one!

In Africa a baby is carred from newborn on the back in a large blanket and I myself was carried like that by my nanny, see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWItHnkfLl8

Hope the link works its great!

:laughing: My son carries his teddy on his back like this in a kanga, he likes to carry his babies in a sling too. I always used a front carry cos my boy has such gorgeous eyes I liked to be able to look into them the whole time.

mamasheshe
23-03-2010, 11:24 AM
:laughing: My son carries his teddy on his back like this in a kanga, he likes to carry his babies in a sling too. I always used a front carry cos my boy has such gorgeous eyes I liked to be able to look into them the whole time.

i made my dd1 a mai tai sling to put her "baby" in

Pudding Girl
23-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Excellent link here explaining and deomnstrating the risks of this particular kind of sling http://babyslingsafety.blogspot.com/ really worth a look esp the bits at the bottom, the case studies.

carebear25
25-03-2010, 03:35 PM
I got an infantino sling off ebay for my baby as with havin a 2yr old thought it wud b easier 2 have baby in sling an toddler in pram when out an about. Just looked on website an goin 2 return it as instructed an may get a replacement x