PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious about and enquiry.... advice please!

jumpinjen
19-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi,

I had an enquiry this afternoon about care for a 3 month old baby, the lady was vague about what she wanted but asking lots of questions about my service, hours I worked, numbers of children I had etc, I skipped round her questions a bit and referred her to the families information service. After the call had eneded i realsied that it is the same lady that has called me twice before over the last six months, last time it was for a 9 month old baby, she signed up with another minder I know, but then never turned up and fobbed her off afterwards. I'm really suspicious now, and it just doesn't feel right, I know it's the same person as it's an unusual name and her accent is very distinctive, what could/should I do?

Jenni:(

Mookins
19-03-2010, 06:13 PM
were you able to get her number after? if not if you call bt they should be able to track the call if you say its been a nusience

shame to get ya hopes up like that
x x

sarah707
19-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure what you can do to be honest... there's nobody to report parents to and there's no one will break confidentiality by giving out that kind of information or warning other minders / nurseries etc of a potential problem.

What do you feel needs doing? :D

Chatterbox Childcare
19-03-2010, 06:14 PM
What do you want to do?

Maybe have a policy of not giving out information over the phone and ask her to come and see you for a coffee.

I don't think she is being a nuisance, just getting the lay of the land or sussing you out as she is a new minder.

jumpinjen
19-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm suspicious just because its a different aged child every time and I'm not sure really, it just doesn't FEEL right, but i can't quite put my finger on it, do you know what I mean??

I'm not disappointed about it, my under fives are full,

It's just nagging at me like theres something not right

Am I being paranoid?

Jenni

mamasheshe
19-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Am I being paranoid?

just because your paranoid doesn't mean everyone's not out get you :laughing: :laughing:

sorry couldn't resist

Chatterbox Childcare
19-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I understand what you are saying but am unsure what you are expecting to be done? What sort of action are you thinking of because it is only a phone call and as you say you don't have spaces.

I would stick to my policy of not talking business over the phone and then she will go away.

loocyloo
19-03-2010, 08:28 PM
a few local minders had a mum call and then visit last year, she spent ages asking 1000's of questions, and even copied things out of a friends folder ...:eek:

then we found out she was registering as a childminder! silly lady, if she had asked, we would all have helped her! as it is, no one wants to know!

i've had a couple of those vague calls, and i am sure they were from prospective childminders! there is just something about the calls that doesn't seem right! i know exactly what you mean!

wendywu
19-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Maybe she is one of these people who wants to talk on the phone.

You know the type of people who phone items for sale adverts when they have no intention of buying.:panic:

Then you get the people who view houses that are for sale, when they are not buying a house. :panic:

Just say sorry but you are full. :D

jelly15
19-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Next time she rings just say you are full and suggest she look else where.

angeldelight
20-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm suspicious just because its a different aged child every time and I'm not sure really, it just doesn't FEEL right, but i can't quite put my finger on it, do you know what I mean??

I'm not disappointed about it, my under fives are full,

It's just nagging at me like theres something not right

Am I being paranoid?

Jenni

Maybe she is really a childminder and is looking for hints and tips ?

I would not give her any information over the phone if she calls again just ask if she would like to arrange a meeting or tell her that you are full and can not help her if you feel something is not right

Angel xxx

Pudding Girl
20-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I would have assumed it was someone trying to scam tax credits or something by filling in bogus childcare claims. Just make a note of the name and if you feel funny about them, don't ever have them in your home.

newandlearning
20-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree with Pudding Girl.. (yummy cake by the way)...
and I don't let people into my home if I'm getting a funny gut feeling about it..

If she phones again why not question her and ask if she's a new childminder...
maybe she's being shifty because she feels awkward ...

I think I would find this a bit creepy .. but I think you 've done good to keep things vague.. xx

Zoomie
20-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Twice in recent weekC I've had a man call me about childcare. I don't know why, but it seems to make me feel more 'suspect'. Our local council now gives out our street names and both these men have asked what no xxx Close I am at. I am obviously not going to give this information out.

But all this really means is that we should all be very vigilent about what information we give out to strangers calling on the phone, AND who we are inviting into our homes.

To keep myself safe I have now started asking for their address and landline (if possible) / mobile number so that I can drop a leaflet through their door. So far both, stopped the enquiry without giving me their information.

harrysgirl
20-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Twice in recent weekC I've had a man call me about childcare. I don't know why, but it seems to make me feel more 'suspect'. Our local council now gives out our street names and both these men have asked what no xxx Close I am at. I am obviously not going to give this information out.

But all this really means is that we should all be very vigilent about what information we give out to strangers calling on the phone, AND who we are inviting into our homes.

To keep myself safe I have now started asking for their address and landline (if possible) / mobile number so that I can drop a leaflet through their door. So far both, stopped the enquiry without giving me their information.

I am with you on this.....if I feel uncomfortable about a phone call I make the excuse that one of the children need me so ask quickly for their name & contact details so I can call them back.